PROBIOTICS WHILE ON MEDS FOR COCCIDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

diam0ndeyez

Hello all!

My dragon is currently on a sulpha based medication. I just got Acidophilus in the mail and I'm reading mixed reviews on whether or not to give it to her and when to give it to her. She is on her second round of 5 days on.

My vet doesn't recommend probiotics for dragons which is silly because dragons aren't just like every reptile, I heard they need them to replace the good bacteria. She also is only 15 grams and is barely growing. She had pin worms and now coccidian. She is about 4 months and is only 7 1/2 inches. I will try to find soy yogurt but they didn't have it at my local store. Please respond with any experience you may know of or may have. Thank you.

-Lauren

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's pretty small, so I'd keep the probiotic dose appropriately small. I use probiotics (bene-bac) during doses of antibiotics and it helps. Their systems become visibly out of whack during some treatments (black beard, lack of appetite, etc). A lot of folks here have used soy yogurt, acidophiliz+, and bene-back for reptiles/birds without a problem.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm curious does the vet recommend against using them or just doesn't feel they are effective? I've used benebac when treating with albon, couldn't say they made a difference or not.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have found that it does cut down on tummy upset as well as yeast build up in the system, too. Albon is a huge culprit for the start of yeast/fungal infections leading to yellow fungus, etc.
So probiotics helps the gut flora stay balanced while on meds, in both humans & in reptiles, too.

Tracie

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Drache613":15wfddnh said:
Hello,

I have found that it does cut down on tummy upset as well as yeast build up in the system, too. Albon is a huge culprit for the start of yeast/fungal infections leading to yellow fungus, etc.
So probiotics helps the gut flora stay balanced while on meds, in both humans & in reptiles, too.

Tracie

That's intreating about the yeasts (and albon) can you share some more info about that? It would be nice to have info to share with our vets etc.

diam0ndeyez

Original Poster
Taterbug":1nw00vi5 said:
I'm curious does the vet recommend against using them or just doesn't feel they are effective? I've used benebac when treating with albon, couldn't say they made a difference or not.

The Dr. thinks that bearded dragons do not need probiotics because they are reptiles. Well, I've read otherwise. I was going to work her up to .03 cc because she is only 15 grams. I just don't know if I start her on it while she is still on her coccidian treatment. I might have already asked that. Also, does anyone have any experience with the best time to give her the coccidian treatment in relation to her food?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can give the meds in the morning before he eats but after he has warmed up some.
Then you can feed him a little later. The probiotics should be given later in the day, apart from a meal so it wont affect digestion,
You can absolutely start her on the benebac while she is on the coccidia medication. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom