Yellow Fungus follow-up & question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupquakez

Hey everyone,
I posted on this forum months ago looking for advice on how to deal with my young beardies *possible* yellow fungus infection. After a quick vet visit, it was confirmed and he ultimately passed away due to the illness. Though I didn't get to spend as much time with him as I would have liked, it was devastating to witness and I have not been able to even entertain the idea of buying another one..until recently. I've fallen in love with a much older beardie who has come a long way in the behavioural department and would love to bring him home. My only concern, tho, is how to eliminate the fungus in my previous beardies enclosure. I was given a pet friendly cleaning solution from work to soak my ornaments and tank in, one that we used to eliminate the fungus we encountered there, but I'm still extremely fearful that the fungus is still lingering. Are there any other store bought solutions I can use to be extra safe/certain? Should I just get rid of all my ornaments and focus only on sanitizing the tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your previous dragon passed away from yellow fungus. That is difficult to go through anything like that.
What type of tank decor do you have & is your tank glass? Are the items plastic or wooden?
You can get a steamer to help with killing any leftover spores in the tank.
If you don't feel confident enough that it is disinfected enough, it may be best to just recycle it & get all new things to be on the safe side.

When are you going to bring your new dragon home?

Tracie

Cupquakez

Original Poster
Drache613":2os71679 said:
Hello,

I am sorry your previous dragon passed away from yellow fungus. That is difficult to go through anything like that.
What type of tank decor do you have & is your tank glass? Are the items plastic or wooden?
You can get a steamer to help with killing any leftover spores in the tank.
If you don't feel confident enough that it is disinfected enough, it may be best to just recycle it & get all new things to be on the safe side.

When are you going to bring your new dragon home?

Tracie

It was really tough. I didn't expect to grow so attached so quickly. It was heartbreaking to witness.
I have a 40 gallon glass terrarium. Another forum mentioned that I should use bleach (1 part and 5 parts water) but I'm not sure how effective that is. I already tossed all of the old decor as I don't want to risk that (plastic type trees, silk plants, driftwood type stuff). It's not worth it to me. The tank is mostly what I am worried about.
I wanted to bring him home tonight, but if I'm not certain yet what to do with the tank, I'll likely wait.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is horribly depressing losing one, period, no matter what happened. You never really get over it, either.
Bleach solution will work well too. The most important thing to remember about bleaching is to be sure you get all of the residue removed so there isn't any toxins or fumes to off gas when it gets hot in the tank.
The tank decor you could probably recycle just to be safe.
The glass tanks can be cleaned & disinfected really well so you can try either the steaming method of the bleach solution.

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Cupquakez

Original Poster
I feel like it's always in the back of my mind now, you know? I brought the not-so-little guy home last night and I'm ecstatic, but at the same time I'm just hoping and praying I was able to eliminate the fungus completely.
I actually skipped on the bleach and was able to take more pet safe solution hope from work. It's what we used there when there was a yellow fungus outbreak and we haven't had an issue with it since. I literally drenched the tank in it, let it soak for a good 20-30 minutes, and rinsed. i don't even think my little guy from before even touched the tank, he was always lethargic on his decor, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I also picked up all new decor and reptile carpet. My fingers are crossed! Thank you so much for your responses. I'll keep ya posted. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know, it does make one nervous thinking about it, especially with your previous experience.
It sounds like you did a great job of cleaning, too. I think that should be adequate.
I hope he does well! Feel free to post pictures of him too. Has he started adjusting to his new home also?
All new decor & carpet was the best route to go, absolutely! I am sure he will be very happy with you. :D

Tracie

Cupquakez

Original Poster
Thank you!
He's adjusting extremely well to his new home. He just finished shedding last night, and his appetite has been amazing! He's not a huge fan of fruits, but he devours his collared greens in minutes. I love just watching him to see what kind of personality he has. It's been comical thus far. I will post a picture once I'm home from work. Not sure if I can post through my phone, so it may be easier on a computer. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful he is adjusting so well & eating a lot, too! :D
That is a great sign. That's ok if he doesn't like much fruit, the greens & some squash are great for him.
They can be quite active & entertaining, can't they? I am glad he is so happy in his new home now.
Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom