living with yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

49ers559

sammmycakes":1sie8wjr said:
is it curable or is it just treatable?

my girl has been on voriconazole for under a month now and i've seen drastic improvement in not only her appearance but her behavior/eating habits as well.

I read so many horror stories about YF. I'm doing my best for her but I'm also not trying to get my hopes up too high since everything I've read sounds like it's a death sentence.

I want to thank Drache613 for helping me out through all of this. :blob5:

Anyone else with advice please let me know!
hi sammycakes what treatment did u use for pixel fungus I might have the same problem with my bearded dragon but it's bad on his leg here is a picture of it

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wow that is very yucky looking. I would go to the drug store right away and get a topical ointment and start applying it ASAP. Either monostat or lamisil. I used the store brand, clotrimazole topical cream, it is an antifungal ointment.

Keep him as dry as possible, even removing his water dish from the tank and switching to papertowels as the substrate. Other substrates can allow the bacteria and fungus to grow.

Then you need to get him to the vet as soon as you can and get an oral antibiotic and start the treatments. The one I used was called voriconazole.

Also PM Drache613 and she will be able to advise you further.

Good luck, let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Today we found fungus on Pixel, again.

It is all over her tail, her chest and her beard. Literally shown up overnight.
I'm speechless.

jarich

Juvie Member
Xoya":18805ice said:
I posted a bit in the other thread, but I'll link this here, too:

http://www.reptileboards.com/threads/yellow-fungus-disease.65567/

That set of posts was my godsend. In particular, diluted clorhexidine solution baths, daily. Also, a completely sterile environment. Good luck!

'Yellow fungus' is both an internal and external infection though Xoya, so the clorhexidine solution is used just to treat the external sores that result. However with the thread you referenced, the treatments there are quite dated. As Sammycakes detailed, voriconazole is a much better oral treatment and should clear it up.

Sorry to hear that it came back Sammycakes, that has to be very frustrating. It seems closely tied to immune function; has there been any problems with its health otherwise lately?

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jarich":2kwzt7om said:
Xoya":2kwzt7om said:

That set of posts was my godsend. In particular, diluted clorhexidine solution baths, daily. Also, a completely sterile environment. Good luck!

'Yellow fungus' is both an internal and external infection though Xoya, so the clorhexidine solution is used just to treat the external sores that result. However with the thread you referenced, the treatments there are quite dated. As Sammycakes detailed, voriconazole is a much better oral treatment and should clear it up.

Sorry to hear that it came back Sammycakes, that has to be very frustrating. It seems closely tied to immune function; has there been any problems with its health otherwise lately?

Her health had been fine for about 2 months when she was clear and then she had this out break. I started giving her echinacea right away and saw the vet two days later. My vet looked into some other options and considered laser treatment for it but came up with no positive feedback from his research. Ultimately we had decided to go back on the voriconazole BUT the day I was going to call my vet to place the order I had Pixel out of her tank while I was cleaning it... and we couldn't find any fungus. It was really weird and stumped both me and my mom. Every where that was swollen, yellow and icky a couple weeks earlier was a nice bright white set of scales (mostly her knee and belly and vent area was where it came back) She is going through a shed and it appears as though the fungus has completely shed off. We are so confused. She is very perky and active and eating like a maniac. She LOVES the cherry flavored echinacea too. So as of right now we're holding off on the order and taking her back into see the vet, see if he is as stumped as we are.....

jarich

Juvie Member
sammmycakes":204y1ub5 said:
jarich":204y1ub5 said:
Xoya":204y1ub5 said:

Her health had been fine for about 2 months when she was clear and then she had this out break. I started giving her echinacea right away and saw the vet two days later. My vet looked into some other options and considered laser treatment for it but came up with no positive feedback from his research. Ultimately we had decided to go back on the voriconazole BUT the day I was going to call my vet to place the order I had Pixel out of her tank while I was cleaning it... and we couldn't find any fungus. It was really weird and stumped both me and my mom. Every where that was swollen, yellow and icky a couple weeks earlier was a nice bright white set of scales (mostly her knee and belly and vent area was where it came back) She is going through a shed and it appears as though the fungus has completely shed off. We are so confused. She is very perky and active and eating like a maniac. She LOVES the cherry flavored echinacea too. So as of right now we're holding off on the order and taking her back into see the vet, see if he is as stumped as we are.....

I would very much recommend still purchasing and getting the treatment started. Because its an internal infection, an otherwise healthy animal can still slough off the outer infection with shedding. However, there is obviously still some internal presence of CANV which will require further treatment even if you cant yet see it.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's been a while, I thought I'd give an update on Pixel.
She's doing great. Happy and hungry all the time :)

We finally found some grapefruit seed extract which I've read good reviews on with helping yellow fungus, so once I find out how much/how often I can give it to her I will be starting that :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear Pixel is doing so well now! :D At least she is eating a lot right now, too which is important for keeping her health & immune system boosted.
The grapefruit extract has shown some promise so there is nothing wrong with trying alternative therapies. Personally I think that they respond better to alternative meds than the harsh conventional ones most of the time.

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie!
Would you know how much of the grapefruit seed extract would be safe to give her?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As far as I know, there aren't any established doses for grape seed extract but can check!
Do you have powder, correct & what is the mg per tablet or capsule?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom