Metronidazole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all i recently took my bearded dragon to the vet after he started not eating as much. The vet told me that he had a parasite that began with an "F" I cant remember the name of it... My question for you is, is it ok to give him the medicine metronidazole once a week for 3 weeks as prescribed. Considering the way he is acting today i feel horrible to do this to him i feel im torturing him. (Along with the meds I'm giving him soy yogurt btw)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did he have Flukes possibly?
The metronidazole is prescribed for once weekly, for 3 weeks? That is reasonable. What is the amount he is supposed to get each time? You can just gently get him to open his mouth & quickly squirt it in from the side to get the meds in. Are you going to give probiotics, too since this medication is relatively harsh?
Is he eating well right now & basking?

Tracie

ftballfrk1010

Original Poster
Drache613":2ifmzviw said:
Hello,

Did he have Flukes possibly?
The metronidazole is prescribed for once weekly, for 3 weeks? That is reasonable. What is the amount he is supposed to get each time? You can just gently get him to open his mouth & quickly squirt it in from the side to get the meds in. Are you going to give probiotics, too since this medication is relatively harsh?
Is he eating well right now & basking?

Tracie
If i remember correctly it was something like fallagilites? lol
yes its perscribed for the next 2 sundays and its 4ml of the metronidazole. As for probiotics I went and bought soy yogurt from my local health food store gave him 1ml of the yogurt yesterday and today he's up and running around as usual, basking, and eating with out a problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, flagellates are very common.
How is your dragon doing today?
I am glad to hear he is up & basking too! I hope the soy yogurt helps him out on his appetite also.
It sounds like it has already helped him out quite a bit.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

ftballfrk1010

Original Poster
Drache613":lk01xy36 said:
Hello,

Sure, flagellates are very common.
How is your dragon doing today?
I am glad to hear he is up & basking too! I hope the soy yogurt helps him out on his appetite also.
It sounds like it has already helped him out quite a bit.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie
My dragon diesel is doing much better he seams to be alert and lively today. Hes been slowly eating more and more. But unfortunately I have to give him his meds tomorrow and make him feel sick all over again :( but the soy yogurt definitely helps!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great Diesel is doing better & is more active, too.
Poor guy, maybe the meds wont bother him too much with being given the soy yogurt, too.
At least he is improving though! :D

Tracie

willige54

ftballfrk1010":33aot1pr said:
Hello all i recently took my bearded dragon to the vet after he started not eating as much. The vet told me that he had a parasite that began with an "F" I cant remember the name of it... My question for you is, is it ok to give him the medicine metronidazole once a week for 3 weeks as prescribed. Considering the way he is acting today i feel horrible to do this to him i feel im torturing him. (Along with the meds I'm giving him soy yogurt btw)
I would just recommend that your vet is a member of the Association of Reptilian and Amphibians Veterinarians (ARAV). Membership directory is at
www.arav.org/Directory.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom