Heating issues, dragon doesn't like it above 90*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10.0 UVB reptisun, and a (I believe) 60Watt flood light for basking on the left side of the viv and a regular non-soft white bulb on the other end, just for light. She is in a wood viv with a plexiglass door.

My dragon is only about 4 months old. Her warm side is about 90*, or just barely. Her cool side is about 83*. I know (or at least keep hearing) that is should be more 105* hot side, 90* in the middle, 80* cool side. So I turn on her CHE heater (in the middle of her viv) during the day at times. This makes her hot side 105*, middle 95* and cool side 85* abouts. However, EVERY TIME her viv gets above 95*, she hides. I really don't think she likes it, but that's against everything I'm reading?! :banghead: I've tried it on several different occasions. I'll leave it on for like 30 minutes, notice her hiding and then turn it off. When it's off and it cools back down, she goes back to her basking spot. Is this right?

I'm going to buy a new basking bulb today, higher wattage, to try and get her hot side more like 95*, for a happy medium. But is this okay? Everywhere I've read says she should be more like 105*. Also, I don't think she's dehydrated. We bathe her every afternoon for about 10-25 minutes at a time.

Thanks!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, what size tank is she in? What type of thermometer are you using and where exactly are you checking the temps?

Is the Repti-Sun 10.0 a compact or strip fluorescent type? What is the distance of it to your beardie while in the basking spot?

anenglish15

Original Poster
We have one of those laser thermometers (two actually). I check it on several spots throughout her viv. Usually I just hold it 2-4" away from the spot I'm measuring. The viv is about 37x22 (rough estimate) and she is about probably 10 inches away from her basking light. And her UVB light is the strip fluoro. It's mounted in the middle back wall of the viv and covers about 2/3... MAYBE 1/2 of her tank.

diamc":36bamtld said:
Hi, what size tank is she in? What type of thermometer are you using and where exactly are you checking the temps?

Is the Repti-Sun 10.0 a compact or strip fluorescent type? What is the distance of it to your beardie while in the basking spot?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good that you're using infrared temp guns. Yes, 2" would be the distance you would want to use especially for the basking surface temp.

Great that it's the strip fluorescent bulb. Is the UVB right next to the basking bulb or is there some distance between the two of them? Can she get UVB exposure while under the basking bulb?

anenglish15

Original Poster
I have the basking light mounted above her (like on the ceiling of her viv) and the UVB light is on the back wall of the viv, slightly to the right. So they're staggered. And the UVB light is facing down. I would assume she can get UVB exposure that way? How far do the rays reach? She probably is about 10 inches below her UVB light and then 3-4" in foward. Does that make sense? :)

diamc":lbaz6w2v said:
Good that you're using infrared temp guns. Yes, 2" would be the distance you would want to use especially for the basking surface temp.

Great that it's the strip fluorescent bulb. Is the UVB right next to the basking bulb or is there some distance between the two of them? Can she get UVB exposure while under the basking bulb?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm trying to picture it. I was thinking that if there is a space between the UVB and basking spot so that she really isn't getting UVB exposure while sitting there, perhaps the UVB is bothering her eyes? Hard to imagine without seeing a picture of the setup, I'm sorry.

anenglish15

Original Poster
Sorry I'm at work and forgot I had a picture on me. So the light on the left is the basking right and I just moved her UVB light down yesterday about 3".

diamc":1x23qupa said:
I'm trying to picture it. I was thinking that if there is a space between the UVB and basking spot so that she really isn't getting UVB exposure while sitting there, perhaps the UVB is bothering her eyes? Hard to imagine without seeing a picture of the setup, I'm sorry.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Even though you're getting a reading of 90 on the basking spot, perhaps the heat on the top of her head is hotter than that since she sits there with her head up in the air. She is right directly under the flood light (which throw out a lot of heat) so perhaps you're taking a reading of the basking log in front of her? I'm just trying to come up with a cause for her not wanting to stay there with the temp higher than 95.

With the UVB lowered 3", is it now about even with the basking bulb rather than the dome?

anenglish15

Original Poster
I'm not sure. I believe I'm taking an accurate reading. I mean, I don't check the top of her head so you may be right there. But when I check, I check the entire area because I don't understand it either.

And yes, now the UVB light is level with the actual bulb. I just went to the store and came back with a 100W flood light (that was the next step up I could find from 65W) and put it in. So I'm interested to see what that temp will be. But it is VERY bright. Is that okay for her eyes?

diamc":1uesvifj said:
Even though you're getting a reading of 90 on the basking spot, perhaps the heat on the top of her head is hotter than that since she sits there with her head up in the air. She is right directly under the flood light (which throw out a lot of heat) so perhaps you're taking a reading of the basking log in front of her? I'm just trying to come up with a cause for her not wanting to stay there with the temp higher than 95.

With the UVB lowered 3", is it now about even with the basking bulb rather than the dome?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bright should be good. Hopefully you'll get a good temp and one she'll like. She needs a minimum of 95 to be able to digest properly, although for her age, she should like 100 or a little hotter. Let us know how it goes.

They sure can be a puzzle sometimes.

anenglish15

Original Poster
Well it's only been in for 30 minutes and its making the surface temp of the wood 120*! And she's scooted out of the light. So I switched her back to the original one. Do you think it'll work if I just get a dimmer for the 100W one? Thanks for all of your help!!

diamc":1tidj4ru said:
Bright should be good. Hopefully you'll get a good temp and one she'll like. She needs a minimum of 95 to be able to digest properly, although for her age, she should like 100 or a little hotter. Let us know how it goes.

They sure can be a puzzle sometimes.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was afraid it was gonna be too hot. Your sure are trying your hardest though. Yes, you certainly could get a holder with a dimmer switch. But she does need to be heated to a minimum of 95 in order to not have any digestion or impaction problems.

I wonder if the direct beam of a flood light is what she doesn't like perhaps. Hard to tell from the picture, but is the dome on the right hand side deeper? If so, maybe try putting the 60 watt flood in that. If it isn't hot enough and if the dome is indeed deeper, then try the 100 watt?

Another option would be trying a 100 watt standard household light bulb.

Here's another thought, can you move the angle of the flood light so that it is shining more to the front of her rather than right on her head?

We have to get this figured out. :wink:

anenglish15

Original Poster
Unfortunately they're the same depth, but the one on the right is smaller. I did try to face it forward, but it still made the surface temps too high.

I definitely want to get her temps higher! So far we haven't had any impaction issues, luckily! She poops daily during her Bath.

Tomorrow I think I will buy a regular 100w house bulb and see what happens! This is driving me bananas!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I meant to say, the deep dome way over on the far right. Since the diameter is smaller of that particular dome, wonder if you could bend that one further forward.

Good that she hasn't had any impaction issues at all and that she goes daily in her bath.

I know, can understand why it is driving you bananas. If the 100 watt house hold bulb doesn't make it hot enough, you could try a 75 watt reptile bulb but it can get expensive trying to find what works.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom