baby beardie not walking properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got our baby beardie about 3 weeks ago louie is no more than 2 months old
Please help his legs are very limp and Has trouble walking. Both front and rear. He falls over and his fronts get stuck under him. I hope we have been doing the right thing by him. His in a 20 gallon aquarium at first we only had a 5 uvb lamp my wife got him a 50 2 days ago he gets calcium every day with greens and crickets at first we weren't doing the lights properly but he was basking and has a cool spot temps are good I have three in the tank one both sides and in middle so humidity for the most part has been ok a couple of times there was high humiditt butbi corrected asap. He seems tonhave same personality very friedly and is eating the same since the day we got him but his legs arw very limp he will chace a cricket and still clings and climbs but not like he originally did there is definitely something wrong... I took him in real sunlight yesterday and last night he was a little better than back to limpnlegs again today please help I am willing to give my phone number out to someone who can help ...family is heartbroken seeing him like this

william488

Juvie Member
also, you say he is getting calcium daily, how often are you using calcium with D and how often are you using Calcium without D?

What is the basking temp? and cool side temp? and what are you using to take those temps?

daddynjohn

Original Poster
Thank you william.... ok its a zilla tube which I was just reading that there not so good aand my wife is working on taking off the plastic shield basking is getting from 90to 110 with a stick on thermometer and cool side duriing day around 80 and at night 70... I didn't know about calcium with d and without I have to look att what we have been giving him please bear with me I have to wait for my wife I had rotor cuff surgery and can't get out of bed rite now but can u help me learn about the proper calcium and doses I've been listening to too many people and getting confused

william488

Juvie Member
thanks for answering the questions Bill, the plastic cover over the light fixture will filter out the uvb so with it on, your beardie is not getting uvb. like Kcarello said, stick thermometers can be off majorly, you can get a cheap effective thermometer from http://www.reptiledge.com/ or other sites.

what type of substrate are you using?

also, what type of calcium are you using and when? for example, calcium with vit D on Mondays and Thursdays and Calcium without D on all the others, and Saturdays vitamins.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Hi Bill,

I'm sorry your dragon is not well. It sounds like he has developed metabolic bone disease. It is caused by lack of UVB and/or lack of calcium supplementation.

There are 2 important things you need to correct. As kcarello said, a Reptisun 10 tube bulb, spanning 2/3 to 3/4 of the tank is essential. Remove any covering over the bulb, and mount it inside the tank using command hooks, velcro, zip ties, or whatever you can fashion. The basking spot should be within 6 to 8 inches of the UVB. The basking bulb should be adjacent to the UVB so that the white light will protect his eyes from the UVB.

If you are using the Reptisun 10 tube, you will need the calcium supplement with D3. Without the D3 is for dragons under mercury vapor bulbs. If your beardie is under 18 months old, he will need his food sprinkled with the calcium with D3 5 days a week, one feeding per day. The other 2 days, sprinkle his food with a vitamin/mineral supplement one feeding per day. Make sure the feeding you are choosing to supplement is one he chooses to eat. (Some ignore their greens.)

A digital thermometer with a probe can be had on the website someone mentioned, or picked up at Wal-Mart for about $10-12. It is a thermometer for outdoors, made by Accu-rite. They can be found in the light bulb aisle of most Wally's. Put the probe directly on the basking spot for at least 45 minutes before you take a reading. This is very important.

Please make sure he is well-hydrated. Normally, folks bathe their dragons 2-3 times per week. It would not hurt to bathe him daily in warm, shallow water. Stay with him the entire time. He could drown. You may need to hold his head up. Also, you can offer him water orally with a dropper or syringe. Add a splash of unsweetened juice (look in the baby food aisle) to get him to drink.

Best of luck! I'll read back over your thread to see if I've missed anything. Did you mention his age?

Esther

Edit: If he is 2 months old, hydration is especially important, as babies dehydrate very easily. If he is still able to chase and catch crickets, the proper changes now will keep further damage from occurring. In some cases, if caught early, some symptoms of MBD can be reversed. Sorry to speak like a politician, but I cannot guarantee a reversal. Please let us know how else we can assist.

daddynjohn

Original Poster
Thanks so much for every ones help.... loie eats crickets twice a day small ones with calcium sprinkled on and kale also with calcium he is eating fine he looks a little better this am but I am ordering the better lights and thermometers today I will ki will keep posting on his recovery and asking for more help..... thanks again

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Kale is not a good staple..collard greens, mustard or turnip greens,,those are better,,,
Beautifuldragons.com has a wonderful food chart that tells you what and how much to feed your dragon.

daddynjohn

Original Poster
Thanks I've been told so many different things ok no more kale colard greens it is we are new to having a beardie and just really want to do the rite thing for him he is a part of our family. We did research before we got him I guess a lot is trial and error. Sorry for gammer I just had surgery on my shoulder not even a week ago its hard to type with one hand.... I greatful I found this website with beardie lovers to help our louie.....

daddynjohn

Original Poster
Thanks again he now has the proper calcium and I took off the plastic lens on the light I'm also got him vitamin/mineral. He climbs very well but his legs on a flat surface all still limp.... I ordered a much better light bulb and thermostates and hydrometer..... he ate very well today some meal worms a few crickets and good greens... I spoke with my local private owned pet store and they said I'm going in the rite direction. .... I also got him an all screen aquarium nfor outside... I was out with him in the sun for about an hour.... he is also molting which I hope is a good sign..... ill keep posting on louies progress

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Mealworms should not be fed to dragons. Best to stick with baby crickets or baby Dubai roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom