Thermometer Accuracy: Why Not To Use Dial Thermometers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hi there,

You should be able to find digital thermometers with probes for under 10$ at most petstores. These would work much better than your dial gauges.

Even going around the house and picking up recycling should net you close to being able to buy one. They are really a very important tool and I wouldn't recommend going any length of time without knowing the proper temps in your tank.

You don't need to be scared, if your dragon is acting healthy and eating and pooing normally, she most likely is. But it is still paramount to get an accurate way to measure temps as soon as possible.

Update us when you are able to get a new thermometer with what your temps would be if you could please.

Good luck.

-Brandon

Firebonbon

Hatchling Member
Wow, I had no idea. I actually have the same dial thermometer you are using in your experiment! D: I'll be sure to go out today and get the probe one. I hope my bearded dragon's temperatures will at least be okay until then! D:>

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Glad to hear you will be upgrading!
How did the temps turn out?

-Brandon

texasphil

I can't believe no one has marketed a dual probe digital thermometer so you can have one unit to measure both the hot and cool sides of enclosures.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
There is one. Actually the one I used in the test is one. Although not dual probe, but dual reading. (tri-reading if you count the fact it measures humidity too..)

The device measures the temperature at the probe, and the temperature at the base unit. So you could place the probe on the basking surface, and the unit on the cool side, and have both readings.

-Brandon

texasphil

That's the one I have ordered but would like one I where I could leave the probes in the viv but only have one unit to be able to read both temps. But I will use the Accurite on one side and a ZooMed or similar on the other. BTW - I'm just using these for ambient room temps and will use a IR temp gun for the basking surface.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
If you end up buying one, let us know how accurate they are. Or if they are just junk.

-Brandon

texasphil

They have a couple of models. Some have alarms, etc. All the reviews I'm reading seem to indicate they are accurate within +or- 1 to 2 degrees which should be close enough for ambient air temps. They seem to be used in the nursery industry for hothouses, the medical field for temp control for drug storage, the food service industry, and mussle/oyster farms. The lower priced unit has a range up to 120 degrees F.

lizzieish

texasphil":3uzr9t70 said:
They have a couple of models. Some have alarms, etc. All the reviews I'm reading seem to indicate they are accurate within +or- 1 to 2 degrees which should be close enough for ambient air temps. They seem to be used in the nursery industry for hothouses, the medical field for temp control for drug storage, the food service industry, and mussle/oyster farms. The lower priced unit has a range up to 120 degrees F.

Cool I'll place the order, thank you for checking it for me :) I have one of those rubbish dial ones at the moment so hoping this comes nice and quick!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Made a slight change to first post for TLDR reasons. Noticing a lot of people lately using dial thermometers.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom