Giardia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Perseus was diagnosed with pinworms back in May by my dogs vet who agreed to see him since the closest reptile vet is an hour away he was started on panacur and received 2 rounds of treatment which his stool seemed to improve for a week but got worst after that which she then recommended a reptile vet to me. I took Perseus to the vet today because of loose stools. I also took a stool sample which the vet checked and said she found white blood cells but did not visibly see any parasites but suspected he has Giardia which is hard to pick up on a microscope. He was started on Metronidazole oral solution for 14 days. He is 210 grams and 16in 6 months old and taking.4 orally. What should I use to disinfect his cage? I have cleaner from beardeddragon.co will that kill it? Does bleach kill it? What about his wood? Should I soak it in a solution then bake it?

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Does anyone know how to kill it? I've been using the beardeddragon.co cleaner first and following up with zoo med's wipe out 1... is this enough or should I get a steam cleaner? or use bleach? also I have him on paper towels now with just his basking log, which I baked yesterday. He's been on flaygl since thursday night

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Sorry, I was going to post last night, but by 3am I ran out of energy...
I would soak his logs, etc in hot water then bake them in the oven at 250 or so for around 30 minutes. That should be sufficient for the tank decor.
Bleach is very good for cleaning/killing giardia. You can use 1 part bleach, 10 parts water. Or steaming will work as well, when you get it hot enough for killing the cysts.
Which beardeddragon.co cleaner do you use?
Paper towels are fine & easy to change out & keep clean, too.
Is he on meds for giardia right now?

Tracie

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":341f02d4 said:
Hello!

Sorry, I was going to post last night, but by 3am I ran out of energy...
I would soak his logs, etc in hot water then bake them in the oven at 250 or so for around 30 minutes. That should be sufficient for the tank decor.
Bleach is very good for cleaning/killing giardia. You can use 1 part bleach, 10 parts water. Or steaming will work as well, when you get it hot enough for killing the cysts.
Which beardeddragon.co cleaner do you use?
Paper towels are fine & easy to change out & keep clean, too.
Is he on meds for giardia right now?

Tracie

Thank you. I'm using the pink professionally disinfectant by beardeddragon.co and yes he was started on metronidazole for 14 days. He's 6 months old 210 grams and taking .4 orally since Thursday. Should I re-clean his cage with bleach instead of the professional disinfectant?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy. The Metronidazole should be fine. Just be sure to keep him on some type of probiotic also to help out.
The disinfectant should be fine. What is it called?
Bleach is good but you definitely have to be sure to get it all rinsed thoroughly.

Tracie

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":30v8n3y0 said:
Hello,

Poor guy. The Metronidazole should be fine. Just be sure to keep him on some type of probiotic also to help out.
The disinfectant should be fine. What is it called?
Bleach is good but you definitely have to be sure to get it all rinsed thoroughly.

Tracie

Here is a link to the cleaner: http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=463

Here is a link to the probiotic I'm sprinkling on his greens in the morning: http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=280

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Those are fine, I don't see why the cleaner wouldn't be effective with those ingredients.
I have not tried that particular cleaner but with the information provided it should be good for cleaning & disinfection.
How are things going?

Tracie

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Things are a lot better. No more smelly poops but are his poops supposed to have a lot of liquid in them?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things?
If you are bathing a lot & or giving a lot of oral fluids, the stools will have more liquid with them.
At least the stools are not smelly now either!
How is his appetite now?

Tracie

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's good to know. His appetite is very good, it never changed. He's always been a big eater. He ate 100 adult crickets today

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just checking in to see how things are going! He does have a great appetite then if he ate 100 crickets for the day.
Are you about done with treatment now?
Tracie

NikOverton

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for checking in. He's doing awesome. He went to the vet Sunday for a check up and all is well! His next scheduled appointment is in February just for a standard check up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Nick,

That is great Perseus is doing so wonderfully!
I am happy his fecal checked out clear, too. I am quite sure his next appointment will be just as good also.
I hope he is eating well too!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom