Bearded dragon growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

beewire

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, however I have been visiting regularly for a while as there is a ton of great information here :)

I just have a quick question about beardie growth rates. My little guy (well not really little anymore) is about 6 months old and he is already 19.5 inches long and about 430g in weight. Most other sources I've seen say he shouldn't be so big already. He is still growing at a steadily (.5inches last week alone).

Is this normal for growth? At this rate I'm afraid he will outgrow his new enclosure I just built lol

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
beewire":3sbvftcq said:
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, however I have been visiting regularly for a while as there is a ton of great information here :)

I just have a quick question about beardie growth rates. My little guy (well not really little anymore) is about 6 months old and he is already 19.5 inches long and about 430g in weight. Most other sources I've seen say he shouldn't be so big already. He is still growing at a steadily (.5inches last week alone).

Is this normal for growth? At this rate I'm afraid he will outgrow his new enclosure I just built lol

Dang 19.5 at 6 months! That guys a monster! lol I've never weighed mine but my youngest bearded is about a year old and only about 17"!!!
I know I've seen some bigger breed of bearded dragons "German Giant" is one that I know of.
I would love to see a picture of the beast :D

Welcome to BD.org
-Justin

beewire

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll post pictures in a few hours when I get home, he was only 5.5 inches when I first got him so I approximated his age then at 1 month. Grew about an inch every week at times, I kept a detailed chart of his length, just started weighing him recently

beewire

Original Poster
Sorry about the wait, here are some pictures! the first is the day we brought him home, second was a few days later. The last is a measurement taken just a few minutes ago. Also added a picture of him eating just because. Also I just checked the calender and he may only be 5.5 months old.

Enjoy the pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/5Ao1l

lexus465

Juvie Member
I'm having the same "issue" with my guy. He is now 7 months (from my best guess) and just passed 20"! A lot of people have asked if he is German Giant. But from what I have gathered there is no way to tell for sure unless you know the parents and their lineage. I got my dragon from Petco so I have no way to know for sure. I had a breeder look at a photo at a reptile show and she said 6 months (at the time) looked like a good estimate. Another person said it was just because we were feeding him everyday. :roll: So, I've more or less concluded he is just a big guy! lol.

Here is a picture from a few weeks ago, he is on a 12x12 slate tile:

You can see more pictures of him here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=192679

Hope this helps! :D

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Crixus is 8 months.. not sure of his weight, but he's now nearly 19" and for me that's normal for a male.. growth has slowed down, but he is continuing to shed frequently and is beginning to fill out.. my female was about 20" @ 1.5 years and that was it for her.. they're all different as far as growth.. as long as mine is healthy and active I'm not concerned w/ the stats..

I'd say he was probably either geman giant perhaps or you might not have his proper age, but if you do have his proper age then he is hoppin along with his growth :blob8: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom