Is Pine Dangerous for Bearded Dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i want to do make changes with my bearded dragons enclosure. Right now the hide is made out of a shoe box, his basking spot is made from an amazon cardboard box, his other basking spot is made from a temple looking stone bridge thing, his water bowl is made from this stone looking thing, and his substrate is made of hand shredded newspaper. I happen to hate the way it looks (its super messy looking) and want to make a bunch of changes. So im going to change the substrate to non stick shelf liner, and i want to make the furniture in her tank out of 2x4's and plywood (im how im going to make them but ill play it by ear), but would it be safe to put that in the tank with her? would i have to seal it? and if i would have to seal it how many coats and what kind of polyurethane (oil based or water based)? thanks!

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
Pine is not good for reptiles. Why not use polystyrene (Styrofoam) to build the furniture. Look here for instructions on how to do it. It may be a little more expensive then 2x4's and plywood, but will look much better and is safe for your dragon.

If you want to use the pine, I've read that you should put at least 3 coats of sealer on it and let it air out for 2-3 weeks before putting it in the enclosure.

HTH,
-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom