Correct way to use an Infrared Temperature gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Especially lately, I have noticed some posts where owners were holding the temperature guns an incorrect distance from the area they're checking temperatures on so I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread stating the exact distance that it should be held. Bob from http://www.reptileuv.com informed me of this distance when I was having some temperature issues when using one of his Megaray bulbs a while back, so I wanted to share this very important knowledge with other members.

He instructed me that the gun (no matter what brand or type you're using) should be held only 2" from the area you're checking. If it is held any closer or any further away than that, you're not getting an accurate reading.

Hopefully this will help clarify the correct way of measuring the temperatures.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yes, it's stickied so that it will stay at the top of the Enclosure forum.

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
Opinions vary on that. Read your temp guns directions. It will usually state how distance affects reading. Distance translates to amount of surface area mine uses in the measurement. Every inch is an inch of surface area read.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
When checking the temps in a reptile tank, no matter what brand of temp gun you're using, the gun should be held 2" from the area you're checking or you won't get accurate readings. This info came directly from reptileuv.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
I have had a few temp guns in my time of owning 3 beardies over the past 5 years, and I have found that the type of temp gun and the distance you need to be for an accurate reading can GREATLY vary. For instance, the first temp gun I got, didn't have a red dot or anything, I got it for around 30$ from reptile UV about three years ago. The instructions on that model stated that it would record the temperature at a ratio of 1inch(distance):1inch(diameter of measured area). In other words you have to get it very close to get an accurate reading. On the other hand the temp gun that I am using now is a more "gun" looking unit, which carries a 12:1 ratio, with a red light. You MUST BE CAREFUL about the red light getting near the beardies, OBVIOUSLY..... But this one will give me a reading of a 1 inch diameter circle at a distance of 12 inches from the target I am measuring. So you must read and adhere to the instructions and know the ratio of distance to circular diameter(in inches) to know how far away you need to be. With the one I have now I can point it at a wall ten feet away, and get the reading of an area about 120 inches in diameter. This helps because I only have to hold it at 5-6 inches from what I want to measure so I know im getting a tight spot on the reading. Hope this helps. Remember, every temp gun has a ratio like this, either on the back of the gun/tool or in the owners manual, so to me this is something important to take in to account.

Diamc, thank you soo much for the info. I just got my temp gun the other day and was so tickled to see this post so I could hold it the right distance to get a good reading. I can remember 2"! YAY! :blob5: Thank you again.

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
I find it hard to believe that It doesn't matter what brand or type of gun you have hold it 2" away is the absolute truth of all guns when my gun specifically says it has a range of like 1" to 18". Furthermore, when testing this theory with my temp gun I purchased at several different locations in my house, whether i held my gun 2" away or 20" away from the laser pointer made ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL in the temperature reading.

So maybe there are different guns. Or maybe I am smoking something good? I dunno, but there sure doesn't seem to be much validity in this thread OP as the cheap gun I bought seems to break this supposedly "all encompassing rule" here. And as the gun I bought is one of the cheaper ones available on Amazon, I highly doubt it is anything abnormal or special.

Now one thing that DOES matter it seems and makes a HUGE difference on the read out on my gun is if I try to point the laser through glass or even the mesh at the top. Then the readout seems to be highly erroneous and if I take the temp with the lid removed on my tank, the read out is much different and seems to be much more accurate.

If anyone needs proof that my gun shows little to no difference regardless of the distance it is from the laser point, please ask. I will make a YouTube video proving that there is really no difference at all whether I am 2" away from my laser pointer or 2 feet away.

By the way, here is the infrared temp gun I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Non-...=1386818373&sr=8-2&keywords=infrared+temp+gun

... I am not trying to be argumentative here, but just saying that my first ever infrared gun sure seems to make nonsense out of this thread, especially the part about "it doesn't matter what infrared gun you have or what brand, blah blah" - That is the part that I have a problem with myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom