Killing adenovirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Steam does not kill adeno. There has been no studies on what does kill it. It can live on surfaces for quite some time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Steaming up to 140F will kill Adeno as well as bleach, too.
The Reptile Medicine & Surgery mentions steaming at those temperatures to kill Adeno.
It should be used for 15 or so minutes to kill the spores.

It just is not as conventional a method as bleach since most people do not have a steamer.

Tracie

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Tracie, not all steamers get that hot. Therefore, unless they check the temps they may not be killing it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the steamer can't get up to 140+ its not really a steamer seeing as steam isn't even created unless temperatures in excess of 210 degrees are achieved.

Not very many things, can withstand temperatures of that range.

-Brandon

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
The steamers at Walmart make steam but it does not burn your hand, therefore, would not be hot enough to kill anything. The steam has to be very hot. I worry about people running out to buy a steamer and assuming it will kill adeno when in fact it may not. I know for a fact the steamers that Walmart sells do this as I have returned more then I can remember and I don't care if mine kills adeno or not.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am aware of that Sandy.
It seems that everything on Adeno that I cover you question. Why is that? I refer to the lab for questions on my site & if I don't know I do ask the lab or I refer them to the lab, personally. If you have a problem with my methods or education, let me know. I feel that I do my best to cover the vast extent of this issue & continue to strive to learn more.
Everything I research, I do so through the lab or other medical books. It is not rocket science, but common sense, too.
I never claim to know everything but if I don't know, I do speak to the lab about it so I can help as much as possible.
I agree with Brandon, if the steamer doesn't get to those temperatures, then it wasn't a very good one.

Tracie

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I apologize if I questioned your authority on the matter, however, I have yet to see the formal documents that come with a signature. So if you have any research, please share it. I was only concerned about newbies thinking if there is steam, it will do the job. I actually have a hand held $60 one that makes lots of steam but doesn't warm the glass, therefore, doesn't kill anything.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is common knowledge & in the Reptile Medicine & Surgery book. The lab I work through has verified it.
It is not the questioning, it is the previous questions regarding the fecal & whether it was accurate. It is a completely different test than the older, fecal EM but you were not aware of it but thought I was wrong or using inaccurate data. I was just taken back when you thought I was giving wrong information without asking first.

Tracie

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Drache613":3oaitrv4 said:
Hello,

It is common knowledge & in the Reptile Medicine & Surgery book. The lab I work through has verified it.
It is not the questioning, it is the previous questions regarding the fecal & whether it was accurate. It is a completely different test than the older, fecal EM but you were not aware of it but thought I was wrong or using inaccurate data. I was just taken back when you thought I was giving wrong information without asking first.

Tracie

This is way off topic, you should have pm'd me this question. I will be more then happy to explain it to you but I will not on this thread. And, I honestly don't think you want me to.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't have any questions on anything. I think the OP knows how to kill adeno now, with all of the advice she has received.
There is no reason to be hateful anyway. I thought we were supposed to be helping each other out on research for the dragons' sake, not arguing. I am too weary from being ridiculed & don't really need the stress from years of being belittled. I don't feel that I am doing anything wrong as the dragons are the most important thing here to me.
We have hijacked it enough on this thread.
Gail & I have already spoken on this subject with regards to Adeno.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom