Leonard has stopped eating on his own :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a bit of help from my fellow beardie parents..Leonard who is estimated to be 8 months old has slowly stopped eating live feeders on his own,hasn't touched a roach on his own in 2 weeks,no supers either.He has also turned his nose up to wax worms too.Even though he stopped the live he was still eating all his greens.That has now stopped too for about a week.I have been feeding him baby squash(loves),baby green beans(he hates),baby prunes(in case the supers backed him up,loves),baby chicken(not a big fan) and Repta boost(also loves).Over the past couple days I have been sneaking roaches in the baby food and feeding with tongs and he eats them this way.I did just replaced his Powersun 100w as if you look at the 1st 2 pics from 6/1,6/4 and the next 2 are from 6/28 his basking spot is yellow where the one from 7/1 is white light.Can't really tell if he has lost any weight as now that my rescue Sammy has started looking like the year old beardie that he is, Leonard looks tiny to me.Since I just got paid I'm going to order some Rep Taid and try butterworms.This boy really has me scratching my head.Sorry for the long post but I'm am worried and thought I would try to give you all as much info as I can..Thanks in advance..

Leonard's setup: 40 gal. breeder,100w Powersun,12 inches from basking spot(1 week old),basking spot temps 97-99.4 as Leonard refuses to bask at any higher temp taken with dig. w/ probe.before he stopped eating he ate 1/4 in. to 5/8 inch dubia roaches 2x a day for 15 minutes each time(est. 75-100 a day),mustards,turnip and beardie bites at least 3x a day.He is not a fan of fruits or any veggies though I keep trying.He gets a 15 min. bath every other day and drinks water from a dropper 2-3x a day.He was pooping every other day before he stopped eating,now he poops real tiny poops still every other day,urates have been good.He lives alone.I do have a rescue beardie but there is a half wall splitting my living and dining room.Any more info feel free to ask..

leonard6-1-13fullprofile.jpg

leonard6-4-13profile.jpg

leonard6-28-13b.jpg

leonard6-28-13fullprofile.jpg

leonard7-1-13profile.jpg

craniomom1

Original Poster
Update:eek:n Friday he did eat a bunch of greens and some berries on his own at breakfast but still refused live food..At his afternoon meal he refused everything.I left it in his viv but he just spread it all over his viv..At 4pm I did offer some repta boost and baby food squash which he happily ate.
Now today he refused breakfast and lunch :( I did take him outside today for about 20 mins and he was soaking all those rays up..He is still very active and his personality is still the same I just don't get what is going on here,ugh..

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'd stop feeding babyfood unless he completely stops eating and is loosing weight. Dragons can get spoiled to the point of not eating on their own if they get used to having it syringed to them.

Its good he is eating his greens, at his age he needs more of them anyways. Do you have any larger dubia you can feed? Sometimes a bigger dragon doesn't like eating little bugs. My 14" juvie is easily eating 3/4" dubia.

How big is he? He looks good and healthy, its possible he has got to the stage where one meal a day is all he wants. I'd just give him one salad daily and see how much he eats. Its ok if it wilts or even gets a bit dry. I had one dragon who would only eat day old, crunchy greens.

I also wouldn't offer any feeders for 2-3 days, that might help get him interested in them again. I can imagine that having a food you don't want constantly put in your face would turn you off of it.

Above all, don't panic. We are used to feeding our pets multiple times a day, every day but reptiles really aren't made to eat like that, especially the adults. Get a cheap scale and keep track of his weight. Worry if he starts loosing a lot quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom