Glass vs wooden box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzythelizzy13

Hatchling Member
I've been researching enclosures for Izzy and because this will be a pricey purchase for me I am wondering what some preferences are.. Do you prefer glass enclosures or wooden enclosures? and why? My head is spinning right now with all the choices out there, lol.. I want to be sure I get a good enclosure for Izzy.. Hubby mentioned building one but I'm not sure I want to go that route.. Thanks for any info and advice..

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Both of my beardies currently are in glass "aquariums." When I have the time, money, and space, I will be looking into building them new vivs made out of wood. In general, wood insulates better than glass, so you can use lower wattage bulbs (and save a bit of electricity). There are lots of choices! There is a thread with lots of really cool pictures of vivs (here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704), and if you check out the DIY section, you can find some really cool ideas for building your own or even converting bookshelves, dressers, display cases, etc. into vivs. I think usually making your own is a bit cheaper, and then you can make it whatever size you want.

Hope that helps! :)

Izzythelizzy13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thnx for the link, I have looked thru that one before and there are so many awesome looking vivs.. I am leaning towards the wooden enclosures because of the better insulation and in the winter months it gets really cold .. I would like to have one where the lighting is built in instead of the outside lighting because of my cats, luckily they don't mess with Izzy's area much at all.. My dogs however are very curious but we keep them crated when unsupervised so no major worries there.. Thnx again!

BBTrucker

ive got just the answer!

ok so i had my beardie in a Large 60gal (glass) terrarium and he was happy but,
1. the lids always have to slide off and i like being kinda lazy; so i dont always take the lights off eaither and this ultimately burns the edge of the plastic around the glass.
2. humidity ok glass does keep in humidity pretty well but they also get hotter and dont let in any sort of breeze i know i enjoy a good breeze, and i bet your beardie does too give him a good breeze for a couple days and feed them well and they will cheer up more.
3 looks; ok you can make any cage look great and glass cages do look nice when there well kept and your also better off buying a used 1 on craigslist or somthin before goin and buying a new 1 glass cages are not cheap...

ok now for the pros and cons on wooden cages

1. depending on how u decide to build your custom wooden cage is everything i reccomend heavy planning on wood type and how your gonna keep the lights on there without risking a fire, i personalyl went with an open top that i put a large metal mesh screen on top for the lights to sit on, this also doesnt restrict much air flow in the tank when the ceiling fan is on.
2. door placement, your not gonna build just a small box to keep him end of course you have to have a door, and i have seen many different types i used a piano hinge for mine and a couple of twist latches to close it, i reccomend the sliding doors
3. theres just so much that goes into building a cage but in the end i do think it is worth it i have recently noticed in my cage the humidity stays more in the tropical area of the hygrometer and i use alot of the peat moss in the cage around his watering hole area and in his hiding areas

wooden boxes look nicer but normally cost more but on the plus side (+every part+is+replaceable+)

Izzythelizzy13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BBTrucker":3qm1utkk said:
ive got just the answer!

ok so i had my beardie in a Large 60gal (glass) terrarium and he was happy but,
1. the lids always have to slide off and i like being kinda lazy; so i dont always take the lights off eaither and this ultimately burns the edge of the plastic around the glass.
2. humidity ok glass does keep in humidity pretty well but they also get hotter and dont let in any sort of breeze i know i enjoy a good breeze, and i bet your beardie does too give him a good breeze for a couple days and feed them well and they will cheer up more.
3 looks; ok you can make any cage look great and glass cages do look nice when there well kept and your also better off buying a used 1 on craigslist or somthin before goin and buying a new 1 glass cages are not cheap...

ok now for the pros and cons on wooden cages

1. depending on how u decide to build your custom wooden cage is everything i reccomend heavy planning on wood type and how your gonna keep the lights on there without risking a fire, i personalyl went with an open top that i put a large metal mesh screen on top for the lights to sit on, this also doesnt restrict much air flow in the tank when the ceiling fan is on.
2. door placement, your not gonna build just a small box to keep him end of course you have to have a door, and i have seen many different types i used a piano hinge for mine and a couple of twist latches to close it, i reccomend the sliding doors
3. theres just so much that goes into building a cage but in the end i do think it is worth it i have recently noticed in my cage the humidity stays more in the tropical area of the hygrometer and i use alot of the peat moss in the cage around his watering hole area and in his hiding areas

wooden boxes look nicer but normally cost more but on the plus side (+every part+is+replaceable+)

Thnx for your input, I really appreciate it.. I don't think I will be building a wooden cage, I plan on buying one, lol, to impatient to wait on hubby to build one.. I'm looking for something with the lights built in so I don't have to just sit or let the lamps hang on top.. My cats don't mess with the cage but I feel safer knowing the lights are attached.. There is so much to choose from and I'm glad I have a few months to look and decide, I can't wait to get Izzy's permenant cage set up.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom