Albon didn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Hey all,

I have a ~7 mo. old baby boy and he was diagnosed with pinworms and a 5+ count of coccidia about a month and a half ago.

The doctor put him on Albon (1.5 ml once per week) and Panacur for 5 weeks, and the pinworms are now gone. However, his coccidia count is still at about 4. I don't know what to do. The vet said we should wait a few months since albon is harsh on their systems and then try again.

I have a good setup and, during his treatment, used only disposable stuff so i could remove any poo with ease. Any time he pooped in his tank (and even on occasion when he didn't) I would either give the tank an ammonia soak or douse it / let it sit in the professional disinfectant from beardeddragon.co. I fed him phoenix worms, acidophiliz+, etc. I did everything I could and these pesky things won't go away. :(

Any advice? Are there any "home cures" so to speak for these damn things? I noticed he's a bit more lethargic and less hungry. I tried avoiding crickets because I know they can have parasites, but they're the only things that move fast enough to really get him in hunting mode, so I bought him some yesterday to get him to eat. He devoured them, so I guess that's good, and has finally started eating his veggies again (he basically ignored them on the albon and wouldn't eat anything I didn't hand-feed him).

So yeah... I'm worried :( please let me know what you all think!

doe222

Juvie Member
There is a product called reptaid. You can give that a try during the wait time for more panacur. Next time you put your dragon on pancu or albon try giving him a probiotic like organic unflavored yogurt. There are actual probiotic medicines but that is the easiest to come by. i have heard great things from reptaid users, i personally have it and give him a small dose about every 2 weeks just to keep things on the up and up.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
doe222":z3blv2rl said:
There is a product called reptaid. You can give that a try during the wait time for more panacur. Next time you put your dragon on pancu or albon try giving him a probiotic like organic unflavored yogurt. There are actual probiotic medicines but that is the easiest to come by. i have heard great things from reptaid users, i personally have it and give him a small dose about every 2 weeks just to keep things on the up and up.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I did give him a probiotic and still do since his tummy still isn't up to par.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Cristina,

I am sorry he has coccidia so badly still!
Those are some high levels after 5 weeks of meds too. Continue on the acidophiliz right now. Since he is not enough eating right now, I would get some baby food such as chicken or turkey, along with squash or sweet potato baby food to feed to him, daily.
You mentioned that he finally ate some greens & crickets then? Has he lost any weight?
You can use bee pollen which can help with the immune system. Also, keep the overnight temperatures in the tank around 80 to help boost the immune system also.
Are you giving a daily bath & oral fluids too just to help with the affects of the meds. I do agree that you should not medicate with Albon for awhile due to the deterimental effects on the kidneys.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see?
Are you using a UVB light & if so, which one?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":22kqq56o said:
Hello Cristina,

I am sorry he has coccidia so badly still!
Those are some high levels after 5 weeks of meds too. Continue on the acidophiliz right now. Since he is not enough eating right now, I would get some baby food such as chicken or turkey, along with squash or sweet potato baby food to feed to him, daily.
You mentioned that he finally ate some greens & crickets then? Has he lost any weight?
You can use bee pollen which can help with the immune system. Also, keep the overnight temperatures in the tank around 80 to help boost the immune system also.
Are you giving a daily bath & oral fluids too just to help with the affects of the meds. I do agree that you should not medicate with Albon for awhile due to the deterimental effects on the kidneys.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see?
Are you using a UVB light & if so, which one?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Thankfully he still looks fairly healthy... he DOES eat, just not as much as he did.

I have him on squash baby food (carrot right now, i switch up now and then) which he seems to like. I try to mix in some veggies/freeze-dried crix/calcium/pellets all into one bowl with it so he gets a little of everything, and I often throw a few drops of acidophiliz in along with the few I give him orally.

I'm doing my best to get him hydrated; I give him a bath just about every day but I cant get him to drink otherwise.

I have the reptisun 10.0 and the temps are good, so I know it isn't my setup...

Thank you for your input! How do you feel about trying reptaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom