When does a beardie get parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon4Me

Hi, if you get a beardie with a clean bill of health, do they still get parasites (or high levels anyway as I know low levels of coccidia is manageable) from the worms and crickets that you feed them over time? Is there any need to get a fecal test done if their poops look the same & normal each day? If they do get them over time, than are certain worms more prone than others to give them or crickets vs worms? Any thoughts, thanks
Jennifer

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :) My beardie got parasites from crickets that I got at petsmart. I no longer get them from there because of this and the fact that they are super expensive. You should get a fecal done once a year like a yearly check up. It is just to make sure that nothing is wrong. I think that crickets probably have more bacteria then any other feeder.

Dragon4Me

Original Poster
Thanks, Brittani, that's what I was afraid of. The temps in CT will be in the 40's this week so I was going to try switching him to Phoenix Worms with all the good I've read about them. He is a little over 5 months and doesn't love hunting crickets down (he was not raised on crickets the first 4 months). Now with the calcium in Phoenix worms, I don't need to dust them with calcium, correct? But still use the multi-vitamin a couple days a week (1x a day)? And as long as I get the right size, I'm ok using as a staple for a beardie his age?
Thanks!
Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom