Adenovirus jumping species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
From a case documented in 2011 by UCSF - jump between monkey and human:

“Now adenoviruses can be added to the list of pathogens that have the ability to cross species,” said Charles Chiu, MD, PhD, an assistant professor of laboratory medicine and infectious diseases at UCSF and director of the viral diagnostics center. “It’s been hinted at before, but this study is the first to document these viruses crossing the species barrier in real time.”

I think this question will not have a definitive answer- but- is there any reason to be concerned about other pets in the household, such as beloved dogs for eg., contracting this virus from beardies, seeing as it apparently is something one should reasonably expect a beardie to have? if breeders are unwilling to certify a dragon as adeno negative at the point of sale, is the reasonable thing for a buyer to do test any new dragon purchased prior to accepting it into their home?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Adeno can jump species but it may not affect the species in the same manner as it did from the species specific strain. It may just pass through the system without causing any symptoms at all. Not enough data has really been gathered on cases such as this.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom