Bearded dragon won't move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jess4433

Hi, I'm a very new bearded dragon owner. I've had Bowser for 3 days now. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. He came with a 55 gallon tank, a basking light, a purple like light that I have no idea the brand, some rocks and reptile carpet. She gave me freeze dried crickets, and some carrots that she has always fed him. There is a digital thermomiter in his tank also. I've done some reading and I am going this weekend to get him live crickets and some calcum powder to dust them in, I'm also going to ad another light because his tank on the basking side is 75 degrees ( She assures me this is fine and it's always been that way ) I've read enough to know that it is not okay. Now he has been laying on the cool side of the tank since yesterday, he hasn't moved much, and he hasn't ate. He did poop though. He is breathing slow, and his skin looks loose, can anyone help me with what to do? I have no idea. Oh also Bowser is about 18 inches, he's not a baby.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, he is probably dehydrated and malnourished, so you're going to need to give him regular baths and start feeding him properly. The temps are much too low - aim for 100-105F. He also desperately needs a UVB light - the only two good ones are the ReptiSun 10.0 and the Arcadia 12%. He may have some serious calcium problems and metabolic bone disease from having neither calcium powder nor UVB his whole life, and may never have the capacity to walk, but you'd have to post some pictures to be sure. Also, don't use the purple light - they can see it and it will disturb his sleep.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
:( Poor thing probably has all sorts of health problems from not being cared for properly by the previous owner. Daner is right, you need to get a higher wattage basking bulb ASAP and get the basking temp to about 105F. Without heat, the beardie is not able to digest any food. I am really surprised how he has grown to be 18 inches with a 75 F basking temp :shock: It sounds like your beardie is very weak, I think you can try feeding him some chicken baby food if he refuses to eat live feeders. Drop water on his nose to see if he will lick it, he's probably dehydrated.

jess4433

Original Poster
Okay, thank you. He has walked fine for the last 2 days, it was just yesterday he's laid down and hasn't moved. I also have to have some kind of light or heat sorce on his tank at all times, and i've not been turning off either light because it gets so cold here at night so maybe that is some of the problem. Right now outside it's around 7 degrees and it really drops at night. He also when he was younger ate off his back feet, She said it was because she wasn't taking care of him right.

jess4433

Original Poster
I actually haven't seen him drink since I've had him, I did soak him in the tub for around 20-30 minutes yesterday to see if that would help him, I seen somewhere that helps him get hydrated? Yeah, after what I've read, That's what I said, I can't believe he's lived this long with the way he was cared for. I would really like to get everything right and have him acting great.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
jess4433":a4be9re5 said:
Okay, thank you. He has walked fine for the last 2 days, it was just yesterday he's laid down and hasn't moved. I also have to have some kind of light or heat sorce on his tank at all times, and i've not been turning off either light because it gets so cold here at night so maybe that is some of the problem. Right now outside it's around 7 degrees and it really drops at night. He also when he was younger ate off his back feet, She said it was because she wasn't taking care of him right.

Yes, this could be the problem - if you had the lights on all night he probably wasn't able to sleep and could be just very sleepy right now..Beardies need darkness to sleep. Does it drop below 65F in your house? If so, get a Ceramic Heat Emitter from a pet store. If the temp is above 65 F you do not need any heat source. I usually just wrap my beardie in his blanket and make sure his head is covered somewhat, so that any lights in the room don't bother him.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
He ate off his feet probably because he was starving! The bath does hydrate. I would take out the water dish if he isn't using it as all it does is raise the humidity. Okay - I am going to post the standard questions here. If you answer them all, we can get you all straightened out!

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

jess4433

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? -- The woman who had him said he was 2
How long have you had your dragon? -- I have had him for around 4 days now.
How long is your dragon? -- He is about 18 inches.
What is the sex of your dragon? -- Male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? --55 Gallen tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? -- Reptile carpet
Do you use UVB lights?-- I have no idea what kind of lights she gave me, One is a regular brand light so I'm sure it's not what he's supposed to have.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?-- Both lights are coil.
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? -- Sylvannia
How old is your UVB bulb? -- No idea
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? --It's about 12 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? --The basking bulb is white.
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? -- No I have been leaving both lights on.
How long are lights on each day? --24 hours.
What are the basking temps? -- around 75
What is the cool side temp?-- around 60
What is the night time temp?-- The same
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? -- Digital
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? -- No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. --I started feeding him Kale, the carrots and freeze dried crickets she gave me.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?-- I make a fresh salad morning, and night, and he has crickets available always.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?-- They are freeze dried.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?-- No
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yes
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? --I have once since I've had him.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? --Yes, I mist him 3 times a day.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?-- No
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?--No

jess4433

Original Poster
It also gets very cold inside my house at night, once the sun goes down it will drop to around 50 degrees inside. We use a outside wood stove so it doesn't do a great job. Inside during the day, it's around 70.

Momomo

Hatchling Member
Omg! I've always wondered how people can sleep in such low temps at night? I wouldn't be able to have a good sleep even if it was 65F. Has to be at least 70 :D You definitely need to get a Ceramic Heat Emitter for the night time for your beardie.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Okay Let me go through this with you:

1. The 55 gallon tank is probably too narrow. Most 55 gallons are only 12 inches wide. You really need something at least as wide as a 40 gallon breeder (dimensions are 36" x 18" x 18"). Less of a concern for the moment, though.

2. The Sylvania bulb is not UVB. It is just light. It is doing nothing at all. You need to get the ReptiSun 10.0 tube UVB (NOT ReptiGlo), and mount it in an under cabinet fixture inside the tank using 3M command hooks. It should be 6-8" from the basking spot.

3. You need a basking light that is not a coil, either a reptile basking lamp or a clear household bulb. Your target temps are 95-105F on the basking spot, and 75-80ish F on the cool side.

4. Turn off your lights at night! Aim for 12-14 hours on, then turn them off. Try to follow a normal daylight schedule, give or take. If it gets below 65F at night, you need a ceramic heat emitter.

5. You should start feeding him live crickets, as you already know. These should be offered regularly - since he has been underfed, he will need a bit more than usual. Can you post a picture so we can see just how ill and skinny he is? It will help us tell you how much to feed. Eventually, when he is healthy, he will need 50-60 bugs a week. Staple feeders include crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, phoenix worms, and superworms. As a treat, you can offer horn, wax, or butter worms.

6. For salad you should avoid both kale and carrots, actually. The best staple greens are dandelion, turnip, mustard, and collard greens. This website is invaluable for proper feeding: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html.

7. You need to dust! If he has MBD from no calcium or UVB, he may need liquid calcium for a while. One of the mods here, Tracie (Drache613) can help you with that. After he is well, he will need 3 live feedings a week dusted with calcium and 1 dusting a week of multivitamins.

8. Since he is probably dehydrated, bathe every day for a while if you can. After that, go to 2-3 baths a week. It should be lukewarm (think baby bath), 15-20 min or more, up to his shoulders. Make sure he basks directly afterwards to warm up. Do not mist in the cage, as that just raises humidity.

That's a good start. Post some pictures, and maybe PM Tracie for more emergency help. I'm sorry it seems that your adoption has turned into a rescue, and that you have to do a lot more than you had anticipated. :? It's not fair that people abuse these wonderful animals so much, and I think that he is very lucky to have you. Please let us know of any questions you have and of course any changes in his status.

jess4433

Original Poster
Okay, thank you so much for the help! I will definatly be changing all of these things this weekend. Yes, it's much more than I thought, but that's okay :) I just want him to be healthy and happy! I love the little guy already and hate that he's sick. I will post some pictures here soon, and be sure to give ya'll a update on him.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
It's fine if you change most of them this weekend, but the calcium, UVB, and heat are imperative to change literally as soon as possible. Best of luck, post pics, and keep us updated! :D

jess4433

Original Poster
I will asap, we got snowed in and it's not supposed to warm up until this weekend, but if we are able to get out before then, it will def be sooner.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like a plan. If you have some extra household light bulbs around, or a light in the basement or somewhere you don't use, you can use that to bump his temps for the time being. Really important to do that - he is probably kinda freezing right now. Also, you should take him out, wrap him in a warm blanket-type object of some sort, and cuddle him. Or put him between your shirt and your sweater/sweatshirt. He needs to warm up for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom