New owners need advice on coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone we got our first dragon a few months ago. We believe Phoenix is around 6 months old with his size. We took him to the vet last week for really stinky and runny poop. He has pin worms at a rate of 1:1 and isospora coccidia at a rate of 6:1. The herp vet said that they weren't going to do anything for the pin worms and isn't worried about that. For the coccidia the vet gave us 3 syringes of 20mg Ponazuril to give to Phoenix orally once a day for 3 days. We are to return to the vet at the end of December for a second weight check and a 2nd round of Ponazuril with the same dosage patterns. Finally we are supposed to return in mid January for a final weigh in and another fecal culture to see how the coccidia is. My question really is what can I do in the mean time to help battle it and get rid of it faster? I see that many people have continued problems with coccidia and I want to try and avoid that. Thank you :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great to hear your dragon is on the Ponazuril instead of Albon. It is so much better to use & less harsh.
It sounds like it was dosed properly at 20mg/kg at only 3 doses.
Just keep the tank as clean as possible & during treatment you can use cardboard boxes & paper towels to cut down on reinfection. Be sure to keep the tank decor clean as well. You can wash & bake items such as wood at low temperatures around 250 or so in the oven too.

Tracie

Russell84

Hatchling Member
I've not heard of this Ponazuril! I will definately make a note of that, thanks! As Tracie said, paper towels are great! Very hygenic, you can keep replacing them. See if you can get a good disinfectant recommended by the vets, rather than using bleach. It will be more effective. I use F10 but it is a UK product. Also, regular baths to keep him hydrated is a good idea. Parasites will make him more dehydrated.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
you're very fortunate to have ponazuril out of the gate, I had great results with that medicine, wiped it out on the first round of doses, you just need to be diligent with your cleaning and bake all the furniture you possibly can or use throwaway stuff until its wiped out, let us know how you make out

mschuller87

Original Poster
Phoenix finished his second round 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow is the fecal check to see if he beat it or has to go another round. We're hoping for the best :) We bought a brand new 40 breeder with all new everything for him to upgrade from his smaller tank and can't wait to see him in it. Here pics of Phoenix

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the fecal go, was it clear I hope?
That is great you got a new 40 gallon for him, I am sure he loves it. Post pictures when you get a chance, too.

Tracie

mschuller87

Original Poster
We just got the news that Phoenix is all clear! :D Tomorrow we get to put him in his new home and will post pics of it. I realized that yesterday the pics of Phoenix never posted so I'll try again quick here.

2012-11-24_12-47-17_976_zps3feb21dc.jpg

2012-12-21_13-51-25_907_zps443467cd.jpg

2013-01-14_13-24-16_640_zpsdb40960d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom