The end of Izzy's tail is turning black..I really need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so Im really worried, because I noticed today the end of Izzy's tail is turning black. I tried to google it, but I couldnt figure anything out...I cant really afford to take her to the vet but if I need to I will figure it out...Just tell me what you guys think please?

IMG_20121128_193306.jpg

IMG_20121128_193309.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....can you post a pic with the tail dry ? There has been some trauma from what looks like a cagemate biting, but those can heal fine, but this does look iffy . Some tail tips turn darker once in a while , but you really want to keep an eye on it. Is there possibly a bit of retained shed ?

koilover512

Hatchling Member
AHBD":upvkeg9f said:
Hi there....can you post a pic with the tail dry ? There has been some trauma from what looks like a cagemate biting, but those can heal fine, but this does look iffy . Some tail tips turn darker once in a while , but you really want to keep an eye on it. Is there possibly a bit of retained shed ?

I agree it looks to have some trauma. When an end of a tail is damaged to a certain extent it will darken. sometimes it will get better sometimes it will fall off. Just the dark part of the tail. I would keep an eye on it.

I had a similar experience with Rincewind. One day I noticed about an inch of his tail was turning brown/black and was no longer flexible. A visit to the vet confirmed he had injured it somehow and most likely it would fall off, which it eventually did with little fuss. I was beside myself during that month, but he didn't seem to notice. The vet suggested using neosporin and increasing soak times. If it's only a small part of the tail, the wound will heal inside separate from the tip and when the scales finally separate, it will fall off before the next shed. Keeping neosporin on the outside helps the healing part to be flexible and free of bacteria, long soaks will help soften the dead skin so the dead piece can fall off.

It will be scary and you'll be anxious, but as long as the black section doesn't grow (indicating the whole tail is infected), it should more or less take care of itself within a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom