waxworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

360waves123

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon is a little underweight and skinny so i bought some waxworms(50) how many should i feed a day just to get her a little bigger ?

NEROtheMONSTER

Sub-Adult Member
If your dragon is very underweight you could probably feed about one or two a day until she gets to a healthy weight.

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok thankx. And i wanna feed more than crickets what other worms should i get for her that i can buy at a pet store. Are superworms good ?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
You should only feed super worms when your beardie is about one year old. Super worms are pretty big and the shell is hard for babies to digest. Don't feed meal worms they are really bad and can cause impaction.

NEROtheMONSTER

Sub-Adult Member
Phoenix worms,butterworms,silkworms,and hornworms are other good worms.,but I don't think you can get most of these at pet stores :( .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Feeding waxworms is not a very good way to go about adding weight to a dragon...

-Brandon

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What worms can i feed a juvenile about 13-14 inches that are kinda like crickets nutrition wise ?

DawnsNova

Thanks Nero, for posting a list of preferable worms. I'm having a problem finding them though. I order my crickets through Fluker, and they don't carry any of the ones you listed. Can someone let me know how I can find/order some?

DawnsNova

Brandon, thanks for that heads' up. Mulberry Farms has all the worms you listed. I know mealworms are a definite no-no, and Nova is too small for the superworms. Nova is almost 3 months old now. Of the worms that you listed, which is the best worm to start with? So far, all I've fed are small 1/2" dusted crickets and veggies.

Burra

Hatchling Member
Lindasgonebuggie.com is a great supplier with great personal customer service. The original Phoenix worm supplier, which are supposed to be more nutritious than reptiworms and seem to live longer is www.phoenixworm.com

Phoenix worms are great for baby beardies because of their calcium content and that all sizes, even large, are quite small. The only downside is it can get quite expensive because a baby eats so much.

DawnsNova

Do you guys feed the original Phoenix worms from the creator, they say they are more nutritious than other "copy" worms? Is this true or just a gimmick? I want to get the best food I can for him, I have ordered the correct ReptiSun 10 bulb and I am hoping his appetite will increase as soon as I install it. Right now he barely shows any interest in crickets, he's just about 3 months old, and I've been offering dusted 1/2" crickets three times a day, with only the first feeding dusted. He never hunts them down and only eats them if they basically walk right in front of his face. I end up catching most of the crickets I've put in, with only a few gone. He's not at all interested in his greens either, I've tried softened acorn squash, occasional apple, shredded kale and collard greens, all minced into tiny pieces. So far he doesnt look thin, but i am definitely concerned. Nova joined our family on Sept. 15th.
Here's yet another question: are the calcium supplements only sufficient, with or without D3, or should I be using the Reptivite vitamins as well ? And, here's one more, do you use the water conditioner, or is bottled water ok?
Sorry for the endless stream of questions... I just want to take the best care of my new baby.
Thanks to everyone for all you patience, understanding, and past and future help, I really appreciate it.
Dawn

newmommybeardie

Hatchling Member
DawnsNova":264l3inc said:
Brandon, thanks for that heads' up. Mulberry Farms has all the worms you listed. I know mealworms are a definite no-no, and Nova is too small for the superworms. Nova is almost 3 months old now. Of the worms that you listed, which is the best worm to start with? So far, all I've fed are small 1/2" dusted crickets and veggies.

I would say Phoenix worm are probably the best i have a 3 month old baby Beardie and just started giving her Wax worms (2 a week), Butter Worms (4 at a mealtime) and today Phoenix worms (as many as she wanted to eat at one mealtime) and 1/4" Crickets at another mealtime.

newmommybeardie

Hatchling Member
DawnsNova":kklkorib said:
Do you guys feed the original Phoenix worms from the creator, they say they are more nutritious than other "copy" worms? Is this true or just a gimmick? I want to get the best food I can for him, I have ordered the correct ReptiSun 10 bulb and I am hoping his appetite will increase as soon as I install it. Right now he barely shows any interest in crickets, he's just about 3 months old, and I've been offering dusted 1/2" crickets three times a day, with only the first feeding dusted. He never hunts them down and only eats them if they basically walk right in front of his face. I end up catching most of the crickets I've put in, with only a few gone. He's not at all interested in his greens either, I've tried softened acorn squash, occasional apple, shredded kale and collard greens, all minced into tiny pieces. So far he doesnt look thin, but i am definitely concerned. Nova joined our family on Sept. 15th.
Here's yet another question: are the calcium supplements only sufficient, with or without D3, or should I be using the Reptivite vitamins as well ? And, here's one more, do you use the water conditioner, or is bottled water ok?
Sorry for the endless stream of questions... I just want to take the best care of my new baby.
Thanks to everyone for all you patience, understanding, and past and future help, I really appreciate it.
Dawn

Well you and i have something in common we are both learning as we go along about how to care for out baby Beardies. Well a few things i have learned so far is. How big is he/she.? As i think the 1/2" Crickets are to big for him/her. I feed mine 1/4" Crickets again as i went to the 3/8" Crickets and they hurassed my baby and bite her/him and she got scared of them. So i had to go back to the 1/4" Crickets and she/he is fine with them.
1) Its better to feed your baby beardie in another container (I feed mine in a 5 gallon tank right now) as its a WHOLE lot easier to catch the crickets or other feeders.
2)Baby Beardie's usually arent very interested in there greens,Veggies and fruit but no matter what you have to supply it for them they will eventually eat it. ( Mine wouldnt touch greens, Veggies or fruit) But is now starting to nibble a bit. You have to offer the Greens, Veggies or fruit first thing in the morning. I feed mine his/her Herbs and greens or other stuff at 9:30 am i turn her/his lights on at 9:00 am. Then i feed her/his first insect feeding around 11:00 am and his/her next insect feeding at around 5:00 pm then i bath her at about 7:00 pm them lights out at around 9:00 pm. Thats what i try to do every day.
Oh wow thats kewl my baby Beardie turned 3 months on the 15th of September thats great.
3) You need to give her the Calcium with D3 or least thats what i was told. Oh yes you need to use the Reptivite aswell. You need to give her/him Calcium 5 times a week and the Reptivite 3-4 times a week again thats what i was told.
4) As for the water conditioner im not sure wether its better or bottle water is but i dont give my baby Beardie water in her/his tank because if any water gets spilt or splashed it could cause problems like dampness which could cause things to get musty etc. I give mine a bath daily.
5) As for the bath you can use a container but i use either my Kitchen sink ( wash out and make sure its well rinsed and only put in enough water to come to her/his armpits (I keep the sides shallow to his/her pits and of corse deeper in the middle which they love to swim in if yours loves to swim as mine does). Or i have bathed her/him in the bathe tub (lean and rinse well) but as above keep a shallow end to her/his armpits DO NOT LEAVE HIM/HER UNINTENDED,
These are just the things i have learned from the great people in this great site. If any of the experts in here read this and i have stated anything wrong please correct me i dont want to hurt any animal or person giving wrong info. These are things i have been told by different people in here.
Good luck Dawn on your beautifull baby Beardie.
Sorry for being so long winded
Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom