My Beardie won't Bask

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatheremma2003

Hi I currently have a 1 year old female beardie I''ve had her since was a baby. Recently she has stopped basking and spends all her day curled up in the cool end of her viv. she only moves to eat .She still eats regularly approx 10 locusts a day and and spring green cabbage and occasionally about 5 wax worms. Since she has stopped basking she doesn't poop very often sometimes once a week sometimes longer. I'm worried as I know they need to bask to digest.

Her setup
3' x 2' x 2' wooden viv
Wood substrate
Repti Glo 10.0 uvb 75cm
100W basking light currently 109 f
Ambient temp 85 f
Cool temp 80 f
Night time 70 f

Please help
Does she need to go to vets

vampy

Juvie Member
For an adult, the basking temp might be a little high for her. Have you tried putting in a lower wattage light/moving the light further away and seeing what she does? Do you put her under the light once she has eaten? My babies are normally pretty good and immediately go to the light once they've had food, but my bf's beardies often decide running around the room and playing is more fun than basking, so he has to put them under there himself to make sure they get hot enough.

Personally I'd take the substrate out and just keep her on paper towel or tile, and the UV light you're using isn't recommended by people here, the reptisun 10 and arcadia 12% give out better light for beardies with no chance of eye damage. If your UV tube is over 6 months old it'll need changing anyway.

Have you tried giving her a bath and seeing if that makes her poop?

It could just be the time of year and that she is wanting to brumate, though normally they start to eat less/stop eating altogether as well as try and hide at the cool end.

Once you've got her environment sorted out, see if she shows any changes, if not, and she's looking otherwise healthy, chances are she's preparing for brumation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom