HELP! bearded dragon fall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bearded dragon fell from 3 feet, landed on the ground and went stiff stopped breathing and closed his eyes. took him to the emergency vet and the dont normally deal with bearded dragons, but did as much as they could. they did and xray and nothing looks broken. They also put him in a bin with oxygen for 3 hours. after about 15 to -25 mintues he came around and picked up his head and opens his eyes. every since the fall he has been "gulping" "swallowing" and sticks his toung out a bit when he does it. She thinks it could be some head trauma. the vet said we could take him home and keep an eye on him. its been 26 hours since the fall and he had pooped twice (everything is normal. not blood) he is moving but slower then normal and his eye's are halfed closed. the gulping is getting less and less but still every 3-5 mintues. he has not ate today, and we even gave him his favorites, (crickets,lettus,carrots,raspberrys) we have got electrolyte and vitamin liquid supplement that we are mixing with water and useing a seringe too make sure he getting water. MY QUESTION IS: does it sound like internal bleeding, brain damage? and is he slowing dying right now? what are the signs of him dying? i cant afford another 600 dollars at the vet is hes going to be ok on his own. but i will if nessary, anyone elce ever been though this??????? does he need more time to come around?

NEROtheMONSTER

Sub-Adult Member
Nero jumped off my hand from about 3 feet,thankfully nothing like this happened.I hope he is gonna be okay,but sorry i don't have an idea what could have happened. :(

Vacren

Juvie Member
Xrays show nothing broken, which is good. The gasping/gulping for air could be something to worry about, but if it's getting better that's also a good sign. Brain damage on a critter with the limited brain capacity they have to begin with wouldn't really be noticeable unless it was severe enough to effect reflex functions (sinus heart rhythm, breathing, etc). Observe him, if he keeps getting better then you're probably good to go. Make sure he has a place to relax (hide) and recuperate that you can still see him.

Let us know if there is any change, vomiting would be something to watch for. Head shakes, walking in circles, basic concussion symptoms. I'm sure your guy will be fine though, three feet isn't that bad unless he landed on his head or tail.

chompersmum

Original Poster
i think he may have landed on his head i was facing the other way, he was on my boyfriends shoulder and fell as be bent down to grab somthing. when we both first glanced at him he was laying flat to the ground not breathing and was stiff as a bored for about 3 mintues and they he gasping started. but again the gasping is getting better and more seems like gulping now. im so worried and feel very helpless. the thing that scares me is his eyes, hes not as alert as he use to be and they dont open all they way, and he sleep sleepy all the time. and the fact he wont eat crickets even if we hold them infront of his face. he always got excited when we walk in with the bag of crickets and sprung up and was right at the front of the cage waiting....but this time he just sat there, not caring. thanks for your reply has made me feel a bit better. any other knowledge will help.

Vacren

Juvie Member
I just had an image of two really, really, really short midgets standing on top of each other and a beardie jumping off the top one... My. Fing. Sides.

Sorry, back to serious now.

The stiffness was likely an unconscious dragon. Not a good thing, but he woke up so we're ok. Irregular breathing is a symptom of concussion in humans, I don't know that extensive studies have been done in reptiles or dragons to identify this, but let's pretend there's crossover because of the half-lidded eyes and lack of appetite. I would say that you're looking at a minor head trauma. Just observe, try and keep him awake for his normal hours if you can be home with him.

As for the crickets in the bag... Try and get an open air container. The risk of escape increases, but the risk of bacteria growing in the bag gets nullified. Not at all related to what you're experiencing, but I hope it's a helpful bit of advice.

I'm sure your baby is fine. Just watch him. Diane is ALWAYS around, I think she'd agree, but her advice trumps mine every day. Baby him, keep him hydrated, watch him, but from a distance. I'm positive he's stressed and that handling is a bad idea. Good luck, and we're here for you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear your dragon had a fall like that.
As suggested, I would watch him much like you would a child for concussion, etc. Signs of nausea, loss of balance, dilated pupils or fixed pupils, lethargy etc, would give suspicion of a head injury possibly.
How is he looking today, any improvements?
Try to leave the tank warmer over night, around 80 to help his immune system out right now. If you can, try to keep him from doing much running around, also.
Please keep us posted on him. Don't try to give much food or water for the next day or so, in case he does have a head injury he could vomit.

Tracie

chompersmum

Original Poster
thanks again for the replies. its been almost 72 hours since the fall, today be seems the his eyes are more open then before, but still not back to normal. yesterday he ate a thinnly sliced piece of a corrot (about an inch long), and again today aswell, he will not go and eat on his own so when he opens his mouth i stick it in a tiny bit and he chews it and eats it no problem, he dosent seem to want to but his head down at all and i believe thats why he wont eat out of his dish. He is in the middle of shedding so i have given him a bath today to help with the discomfort.

His walking is not good, he seems to have little to no balance. when he trys to walk he will pick up on foot and his head kinda falls to the opposite side.... and that is worrying me.... He is still gasping the same as yesterday, and its about every 2 mins sometimes more, sometimes less. another thing i thought was very weird is lastnight i noticed saliva bubbles at both sides of his mouth... not much but a tiny bit. today the bubbles are gone.

i have been keeping it warmer in his cage at night, and changed his uvb balbs 2 nights ago. today he climbed to the top of his tree to his normal basking spot and had no issues doing that. i'm still giving him water through a syringe, not a lot but a little bit to make sure he stays hydrated. He is pooping about 2 times a day since the fall, no blood in the poop and its normal looking. but use to only maybe go once a day or once every 2 days...?

Is it time for the vet????? or should i give him a couple more days???? thanks again guys.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I'm not a vet but I would take him to the vet. It sounds like he has a head injury with possible nuerological involvment since he is wobbling and off balance. Also not manuevering his head as normal is a good indication of a head or spinal injury. I'm sorry you are going thru this with your dragon. I would definately take him in to see a vet, things can go downhill rapidly with a head injury or spinal injury.

chompersmum

Original Poster
Tonja":3w0xgmcl said:
I'm not a vet but I would take him to the vet. It sounds like he has a head injury with possible nuerological involvment since he is wobbling and off balance. Also not manuevering his head as normal is a good indication of a head or spinal injury. I'm sorry you are going thru this with your dragon. I would definately take him in to see a vet, things can go downhill rapidly with a head injury or spinal injury.

the vet said she thinks he has minor head trauma, or a cuncussion. they did xrays and nothing is broken. what more can a vet do for him?... and again i really cant afford to spend another 600 at the vet... but if i need to i will...

Vacren

Juvie Member
The vertigo is probably caused by concussion. The best course of action would be to treat it like a concussion. Limit movement, keep her warm, keep her hydrated. Maybe wrap her in a kitchen towel.

The increased bowel movement frequency is probably because of the water, as long as there's no blood I wouldn't worry too much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please keep us posted on your baby. He may need more vet attention, but try to keep him as calm & quiet as possible. Hopefully, he will begin to improve soon.
Also, limit the amount of food also, but definitely keep him hydrated. I hope he is doing better soon.

Tracie

chompersmum

Original Poster
Last time i gave him water through the syringe when he opens his mouth, some of it came through his nose....?? He still wont eat, NOTHING has changed in the past 3 days.... time for the vet now... feel sick to what they are going to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom