I don't want to starve my baby but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer

Hatchling Member
But can i just give my baby worms instead of crickets. like, she wont eat the worms when i give her a choice(phoenix/silk) but if i don't give her a choice will she eventually eat them or will she starve herself? She has actually gone without food for a meal because all i offered was worms and then an hour later i gave in with the crickets. I really hate crickets and i want to feed silkies and phoenix because they are overall more nutritious. I don't want to be a mean beardie mommy though. :(

YuriTBD

why deny your bearded dragon something they love? crickets are very healthy they eat anything and you can gut load them with fruits and veggies. Eventually yeah your beardie will eat, though i knew a guy whos lizard went on a stubborn streak and he had to tube feed him because his lizard wanted only wax worms and he couldn't get him to eat anything else. as long as you feed variety of worms and they are getting their protein and veggies in, i don't see a problem. but if your lizard likes crickets you shouldn't starve it because you don't like them. they have taste buds too. eventually your dragon will eat, but try these methods first.

1. Trickery, get your dragon riled up dangling a cricket and give them one, then grab a worm and wiggle it around, it might take a few tries but your dragon might get fooled and eat it, sometimes they just don't know what your feeding them is food and once they taste it they are like yo thats good man!

2. get you some freeze dried crickets put your worms in your dragons dish freeze dried don't wiggle or jump and are less intimidating if your scared of them. and put them into your worms. the smell of the cricket can draw it's attention and it might eat them that way. ( i pur freeze dried crickets in my beardies salad, he loves it just don't feed solo unless giving as a treat because they have no water content freeze dried.

3. if that don't work then just give your baby what it wants. they love crickets i've yet to see a beardie who didn't. it's part of their natural diet in the wild and is probably the most common for them.

YuriTBD

trickery seems so wrong but sometimes yah gotta do it haha. but if you are adamant about not using crickets, yeah your bearded dragon will eventually eat. but they like things that are fast and catch their eye, so worms just might not be interesting especially if your dragon is young. have you tried hand feeding and wiggling it around in front of your dragons face? if not try it it might take a few passes but once they see it wiggling they might go for it.

Spencer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah like I said I eventually give up and feed her crickets anyways. I am buying some different feeders. My plan is to put a lot of different non-cricket feeders in her food bucket and maybe she will see all the movement and chow down. :wink:

YuriTBD

sounds like a wonderful idea! make sure to give your dragon a few so they get the taste for them with the wiggling method. i like using wax worms for that, wax worms are like crack to dragons. just don't feed regularly they are high in fat and not much nutrition.

Spencer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
haha wax worms are dragon drugs.

Yeah I compare them to candy bars. You wouldn't give your kid a meal of candy bars but they can have one once in awhile.

YuriTBD

indeed mine made a mess on me i brought home some wax worms and he knew i had them and got in my lap while i was trying to get some out and tipped the container of them over and they spilled out onto the ground and he gobbled them up. I was like ok dude thats it for wax worms for the next month =/

Spencer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So today I put her in her feeding bin and instead of crickets i just put a bunch of phoenix worms in. she saw them wiggling and ate like 8 really fast then wanted out. I was a little disappointed about the amount so when i took her out i grabbed a worm and put it by her and she ate a bunch more! But she didn't want them in her bin. odd baby girl

YuriTBD

thats great! i'm glad shes eating worms. but yea mine is like that too he doesn't care for them in his food dish he likes me to hand feed. which i don't mind it allows me to bond with him.

Kates

I thought beardies (at least babies) need crickets because of their high protein content.
I'm not sure about wax worms but I know meal worms are meant to be given as treats because of their high fat content.

I'm fine with feeding crickets. I just hate how they hide and my beardie can't find him. I really need a feeder tank. :p

Spencer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kates":322782d9 said:
I thought beardies (at least babies) need crickets because of their high protein content.
I'm not sure about wax worms but I know meal worms are meant to be given as treats because of their high fat content.

I'm fine with feeding crickets. I just hate how they hide and my beardie can't find him. I really need a feeder tank. :p

Eh Silkies and phoenix worms are great staples. Umm...I believe you have them backwards. I'm pretty sure wax worms have high fat and you should never feed mealworms to a bearded dragon ever especially a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom