bearded dragon scared of outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i have a bearded dragon that i have had for like 4-5 months i believe and i haven't taken her outside before but today when i tried it, i had her sitting on my hand, she puffed up and had her mouth open, not sure why, there wasn't anything around us, just outside on the back porch. i wasn't sure if she was gona try to fight one of my fingers haha. i handle her regularly, multiple times a day and no issues. this just seemed odd so wanted to ask around and see if anyone else had this happen to them.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
My Nim isn't afraid of outside but some dragons are. Even though there is no bird or airplane in the sky, some beardies just hate how open and scary it is. Or, maybe she saw a bird that you didn't. Beardies have better sight than us. Hope this helps! :D

Angus is scared of the outside too. If I'm holding him he'll just hang out on my hand but if he's in his basking tub, he just freezes up and glares around. The first few times I took him out he was freaking out in his tub. He's only 8" long right now, and I'm waiting till he gets bigger for a harness. The more I take him out though, the better he gets about it. I just hold him or sit by his tub so he can see me at all times. Maybe as time goes, yours will get used to being outside.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Most beardies react like that the first time they go outside.

just make sure you are holding her and not towering over her.

as soon as she starts to seem too stressed bring her back inside. after a while she'll get used to it. Maybe even end up like Mr Dargon and DEMAND to go outside.

and make sure she is in some kind of a harness or in a bin she can't jump out of. if they get startled they'll take off before you have time to react.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Mine was like that at first too. I kept taking her out for a few minutes at a time, holding her against my chest with my hand over her so she could see, but she felt safe. It took a few days, but now she can't get enough of outside. :D

thebenior

Hatchling Member
My dragon Thor often doesn't like the outside. He'll either tensely cling to one of his owners or run back inside.

Vlad was nervous the first few times I took him outside. I use a harness & leash so I don't have to worry about him getting spooked and running away ( I use a "ferret" leash because I don't like the one they make for lizards and I don't try to "walk" like a dog & pull him around, it's more just a tether for safety) He still flattens out and gets dark if something spooks him, like a bird (or plane) flying over, but he's much more comfortable now with exposure and I think sitting out on the lawn ( we use no pesticides! ) and getting some fresh air, natural sun and wild clover to nibble does him some good :) I also expose him to new people and car rides and it keeps him very well socialized. We call him the "lizard ambassador" and he goes shopping in friendly shops with me and everyone is always happy to see him.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
My Spike is scared of outside. Even in the car... he crawls down to my lap where he cant see the surroundings. Im pretty sure its the sky specifically that hes scared of. I have only had him a little over a month now.. but every attempt at getting real sunlight only lasts about 10 minutes because I cant stand freaking him out that much. He is perfectly fine sitting on my shoulder in a busy store... like walmart.. but the moment I step out the doors, he clings and starts trying hide inside my shirt or under my hair... he even climbed into my purse once.

jamesGriffith

Original Poster
hm.. well i tried again today and still she puffed up, turned dark and mouth open. not sure what exactually to do. im pretty sure she was gona bite me this time. not sure if there is a way to introduce them to the outside without really pissing them off. sorry for the language.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Today.. instead of holding him while outside.. i took a large plastic tub that was meant for my daughters toys... i put his hide in it and placed him on top. He was terrified for the first 5 minutes or so.. kept flattening and his head was darting from left to right.. but once he realized i wasn't abandoning him he calmed down. He looked at me funny if he thought i was going to walk away.. but other than that he remained calm. Then after 10 minutes.. he began sitting up high on his front legs.. and gaping his mouth a bit. And slowly.. he went from tan and orange.. to sand colored with BRIGHT orange.. and oranged showed up where he never had any before. He had orange cheeks.. the back of his head.. even his thighs were orange! I tried to get pictures but the sunlight just washed everything out. We made it a whole 30 minutes or so before the red ants and heat drove me back inside. So just keep trying.. it took me a month but I think we are at the point where he actually enjoyed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom