Best Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bff3636

Hi, I'd like to add another source of meat in my dragon's diet besides crickets and I'm still trying to ensure everyone roaches aren't as bad as they seem, so in the mean time what are the best worms that I could give him daily or weekly? I'm still pretty new to this. :)

A2PA

I've read phoenix worms are a great staple, i'm looking into them myself. you don't need to dust them, they have a long shelf life, and they don't stink :D they're also low in fat

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I just orderered the medium sample (100+) from Phoenixworm.com. It's $12. The breeder that I'm buying my (Fire and Ice) from highly recommends it. My dragon has not even hatched yet, but I want to see if my leopard geckos would like them so I know how many to order when my beardie arrives.

Everywhere I have read says you can feed Phoenix worms as a staple. You don't need to dust them because they are already high in calcium. I have read mixed recommendations about gutloading them. Most people say you don't need to gutload them. But some say you can feed them veggies and normal gutload food. They say phoenix worms are also used for composting so they'll eat anything. I'll get them Thursday or Friday and will see if they'll eat anything.

DragCity

Depends on your particular dragon and it's needs at the moment. Here are the top nutritious four and they each have their pros/cons.

PHOENIX WORMS

* Pros
- an excellent staple
- high calcium : phosphorus ratio
- don't need to be fed, gutloaded, or dusted
- can be stored at room temperature for weeks
- soft-bodied so no impaction risk
* Cons
- small size (even large specimens are not sufficient to feed an adult beardie without becoming expensive)
- beardies often gobble them down at such a rate that they don't get properly digested if you don't slow your beardie down by hand-feeding
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SILKWORMS

* Pros
- an excellent staple
- high in protein
- don't need to be gutloaded, or dusted
* Cons
- high maintenance (cleaning poop out of habitat cup, keeping them dry as moisture or mold can be fatal)
- they have a supply of mulberry leaves or silkworm chow for the duration of the time you have them
- they are susceptible to bacteria infection if handled without washing your hands before and after touching them
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HORNWORMS

* Pros
- a great treat for your beardie
- high moisture content which is excellent for a rehabbing beardie or one who has just delivered a clutch, or skinny beardies who need lbs
- can get up to 4" long which is the equivalent in grams to 36 adult crickets fed to your beardie. One or two large worms feed an adult BD
- apparently they taste great to your beardie, yet they can be addictive
- don't need to be gutloaded, or dusted
* Cons
- should not be fed as a staple
- they grow way too fast, can go from 1" to 4" in only three days if stored above 80 degrees F.
- they will bite you if you are not careful when handling

BUTTERWORMS
* Pros
- highest in calcium
- a great treat for your beardie
- don't need to be fed, gutloaded, or dusted
- can be stored at 45 degrees F. in your fridge for months
* Cons
- high in fat so should not be fed as a staple

IM KINDA NEW TOO. BUT IVE BEEN USEIN SILKS FOR WEEKS NOW. AND I THINK THEY ARE GREAT. THEY ARE (FROM WHAT I READ) THE BEST ALL AROUND FEEDER U CAN FEED. AND AS FOR KEEPIN THEM ALIVE;JUST USE TWEESERS TO GRAB THEM, KEEP THEM IN A WARM ROOM WITH GOOD VENTALATION. AND THEY WILL LAST FOR WEEKS! JUST FEED OUT THE BIGGER ONES AND THEN THE LIL ONES WILL GET TO EAT MORE FOOD AND THEY WILL GROW BIG. AND IT JUST GOES ON AND ON LIKE THAT

A2PA

ZEDZILLAVIDZ":1660vgoy said:
IM KINDA NEW TOO. BUT IVE BEEN USEIN SILKS FOR WEEKS NOW. AND I THINK THEY ARE GREAT. THEY ARE (FROM WHAT I READ) THE BEST ALL AROUND FEEDER U CAN FEED. AND AS FOR KEEPIN THEM ALIVE;JUST USE TWEESERS TO GRAB THEM, KEEP THEM IN A WARM ROOM WITH GOOD VENTALATION. AND THEY WILL LAST FOR WEEKS! JUST FEED OUT THE BIGGER ONES AND THEN THE LIL ONES WILL GET TO EAT MORE FOOD AND THEY WILL GROW BIG. AND IT JUST GOES ON AND ON LIKE THAT

just a tip, you can chill on the caps-lock :shock:

mudskipper

Juvie Member
The phoenix worms arrived with zero dead worms! I put the bigger ones in a new container without the saw dust and added Repashy Superload mixed with water. They all seem to have doubled in size within an hour from drinking the juices of the powder. I don't know if they are eating the powder, but they are supposed to eat anything and everything since people use them for composting.

I put the smaller phoenix worms in another container with no saw dust. Added shredded collard greens, cooked oatmeal, Repashy Superload, Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet, and some water to turn everything into mush. This is just an expiriment. I want to see if they can live and, more importantly, grow in this.

There are many videos on YouTube on how to raise black soldier flies (Phoenix worms, Reptiworms, Calciworms). I may try it next summer. :)

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Nice! Sometimes I put a few drops of Acidophiliz+ in the water with the worms before I feed. I've thought about trying SuperPig, or Superload....haven't done it yet though.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
I feed phoenix worms along with crickets right now. Crickets in the morning, phoenix worms in the evening. He loves the phoenix worms, but he is 10 inches now and if I tried to feed them as a staple it would get ridiculously expensive. That's why i started ordering crickets in bulk, they are much cheaper. I can get super-worms at the local pet stores so I am looking forward to the day when my guy is big enough for those.

I think they must be over 16 inches for superoworms, but from what I've read they can be fed as a staple in place of crickets.

wisegirl

ashleyelsha":3ukoontb said:
I feed phoenix worms along with crickets right now. Crickets in the morning, phoenix worms in the evening. He loves the phoenix worms, but he is 10 inches now and if I tried to feed them as a staple it would get ridiculously expensive. That's why i started ordering crickets in bulk, they are much cheaper. I can get super-worms at the local pet stores so I am looking forward to the day when my guy is big enough for those.

I think they must be over 16 inches for superoworms, but from what I've read they can be fed as a staple in place of crickets.
Ya. phoenix worms are expensive considering they will eat A LOT!!!! My parents won't let me buy them for just this reason. For super worms the dragon has to be 16" or bigger (nose to tail)

CNS

Silk, horn, and butter worms are great. I don't care for phoenix worms just because of the bedding really stinks.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
mudskipper":1eysqbh3 said:
The phoenix worms arrived with zero dead worms! I put the bigger ones in a new container without the saw dust and added Repashy Superload mixed with water. They all seem to have doubled in size within an hour from drinking the juices of the powder. I don't know if they are eating the powder, but they are supposed to eat anything and everything since people use them for composting.

I put the smaller phoenix worms in another container with no saw dust. Added shredded collard greens, cooked oatmeal, Repashy Superload, Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet, and some water to turn everything into mush. This is just an expiriment. I want to see if they can live and, more importantly, grow in this.

There are many videos on YouTube on how to raise black soldier flies (Phoenix worms, Reptiworms, Calciworms). I may try it next summer. :)

OMG.. it's only been 24 hours since I put the phoenix worms in the 2 containers. I opened the containers and wanted to puke because of the smell inside!! They had a really bad sour smell. The worms were still alive. Actually, they were really active so I guess they totally loved swimming into goo. They somehow turned the collard greens sort of yellowish brown and mushy. Anyway, I tried giving the phoenix worms to my leopard geckos. The first one ate like 10 of them. The second leopard gecko tried one and wouldn't take another one. She definitely wasn't full because she accepted 3 one-inch dubias later. The third leopard gecko had a lick then turned away. The smell was so awful I can still smell it.

So I transferred all the worms into a clean container with dry oatmeal and cricket water crystals. If they can live in this, that's great. If they die, oh well.. I tried. I understand now why you don't feed phoenix worms!!! When my baby bearded dragon arrives, I'll try and order more. But this time I won't try to feed them anymore!!

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
The only bad thing about phoenix worms is the cost. But they are great as a staple when you have a young beardy. When they get bigger its just a waste of money because of how small the worms are, the dragon will be eating 5 times as much. I was going to suggest superworms if it was an adult beardy but then i read that it isnt even hatched yet so nvm on that :) When I order my phoenix worms i order em by the 1000 from the phoenixworm site. I get 2 things with 500 in each and my adult dragon will go through all 1000 within 5-7 days, Thats with feeding her some dubia as well.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I'm told by the breeder to get 1000 3/8" crickets and also medium phoenixworms right before the baby arrives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom