Silkworms: What are the pros and cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
The silkworm is easily the best possible insect to feed your reptiles. It contains more Protein than any other. It is also high in Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, and B Vitamins. It is high in moisture to keep your reptile properly hydrated. Most importantly, Silkworms produce the natural enzyme Serrapeptase. Serrapeptase is a natural Anti-Inflammatory, and can help to strengthen bones by making calcium absorption more efficient. It also cleanses the blood and the liver, which could help to combat Fatty Liver Disease and Adenovirus.

You can see some more nutrition info on my website: http://www.wurmznstuff.com/nutrition.html

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Well I guess a con is they die very easy. You have to keep everything very clean or they will die, always was your hands before you touch them.

I guess another con could be they are expensive.

I really dont see the point of listing the pros because they have already made a really good case for them.

I myself am keeping silkworms for my 2 beardie and my leo.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I get mine from http://coastalsilkworms.com, they are the cheapest for me since I live in FL.

If you are not sure about them I would just buy one pod and see how you like them. Personally I dont like silkworm pods so I got a silkworm keeper from that web site and it seems a lot cleaner to me.

If you do get some try to get the zebra silkworms since they are hardier than the normal ones.

Can someone please give me some advice, my silkies are currently cocooned should start to emerge win the next week to 10 days. I've read when they have mated you have to wait around 3 days to see which eggs are fertile/infertile. After this time the infertile eggs are placed in a incubator at 25 degrees approximately for 3 weeks then they will start to hatch, is this true can anyone give me any essential advice during the hatching period, thanks! Lucy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom