Which is more effective at killing coccidia-Ammonia or Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
I just found out that bleach pretty much won't touch coccidia :banghead: I thought bleach killed pretty much EVERYTHING!

Which is MORE effective at killing coccidia then: steam from a handheld steamer, or ammonia?

If I'm going to do another "biohazard level 4" sterilization of Stan's cage again tonight, then I want to do it right this time!!! :lol: *installs tiny airlock and puts Stan in a little biosafety suit*

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
If you have both available then use both for your best bet. Otherwise I think steam is the go-to for killing the most stubborn of parasites & viruses. You just have to make sure your steamer is getting hot enough... if you can comfortably stick your hand directly in the steam then it's not hot enough. I personally use this stuff >>> http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=249 for every day spot cleaning and I use a steamer on everything once a month or so.

callum84

Hatchling Member
Steam is pretty effective but try to use a large nozzle as the higher velocity steam of the fine nozzles tend to cool very quickly on contact with air. The brush attatchments are great.
When my previous beardie had coccidia i steam cleaned then licked over tiles and feeding dishes with a blow torch. Dont think theres a living organism on this planet that can withstand 3000F.

callum84

Hatchling Member
XtinaLotusMonster":359h9ku8 said:
If you have both available then use both for your best bet. Otherwise I think steam is the go-to for killing the most stubborn of parasites & viruses. You just have to make sure your steamer is getting hot enough... if you can comfortably stick your hand directly in the steam then it's not hot enough. I personally use this stuff >>> http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=249 for every day spot cleaning and I use a steamer on everything once a month or so.

Incase anyone misinterpets your post id like to clarify - Never ever put your hand directly in front of a steam cleaner! Most cleaners have a nozzle temperature of over 250F and it will cause serious burns.

That aside, if you want to check the temperatue use a probe. Coccidia oocysts are destroyed at temperatures over 165F+ so thats your target.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
callum84":18wo4jtb said:
XtinaLotusMonster":18wo4jtb said:

Incase anyone misinterpets your post id like to clarify - Never ever put your hand directly in front of a steam cleaner! Most cleaners have a nozzle temperature of over 250F and it will cause serious burns.

That aside, if you want to check the temperatue use a probe. Coccidia oocysts are destroyed at temperatures over 165F+ so thats your target.

Eeep - yeah thanks for that side note! I suppose I just assumed people would start from far away from the steam and slowly get closer until they could tell it's hot enough (which is what I do to make sure mine's still working), but I shouldn't assume that other people will have the same common sense as my own lol... certainly don't want anyone getting hurt!

callum84

Hatchling Member
I once worked with a guy who put his hand over the nozzle of an industrial steam cleaner to "see if it was hot", worst burn I've ever seen.
Would never have believed anyone would have been daft enough but unfortunately thats not the case. Lol

ynevar

Juvie Member
I bought a Shark Steamer, but not sure, there are other brands out there. I think the biggest thing would be to make sure it is getting it hot enough and the steam direct enough. We did the first cleaning with Ammonia and realized that lugging tanks up to the bathroom every time they took a poo and the fumes were not worth it. I am SO thankful for my steamer! YEAH!

Hope your little one is doing okay. I also recommend getting the Acidopholiz (a probiotic) that has helped my little guys appetite through the medication and they actually like it.

I ordered it and it got to me relatively fast.

It is mentioned in this care sheet on this page:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/parasitecare/?page=3

I strongly suggest reading the full care sheet on dealing with coccidia. I learned a lot and was able to help my baby dragons.

Good luck and keep posting. Oh and I also really suggest paper towel as a substrate, makes your life a lot easier right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom