Anyone have actual pictures of German Giants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBrian

Juvie Member
I'm talking about original German Giants the ones that got up to around 28 inches in length. I'm just really curious how they looked as far as their structure and I imagine they had huge heads too.
Thanks

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
German Giants have longer than usual heads & slimmer than regular dragons. They are hard to find as they've been bred to other morphs of dragons. They are usually brown or grey, very rare would they have any other colours. I have a big dragon, Rubio, who's 22" long with a tail nip & 786g, but he has no German Giant in him. I have a friend who had a female who had some german giant & her head was more narrow than her other dragons. Have you been able to find any pictures of any? I've never seen one, just giving you info as I've been told.

MBrian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks

I'm looking for the really huge ones though Rubio certainly is impressive I've seen him a couple a times I love his beefy structure!

I read their use to be true 100% GGs that were easily pass 1000 grams and I imagine they didn't look overweight and in my mind I just cant picture how that must be having such a huge beardie which is why I wan't to see one so bad!I wonder if they still exist well at least in captivity from the looks of it they probably don't get bred anymore.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
I'm starting to wonder if they ever really existed at all. Not a picture of a beardie on a scale or next to a measuring tape anywhere near the sizes you hear people talk about. If people were breeding these huge dragons, you'd think they would have been showing off the biggest ones.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You'd think so, too. I've never seen a picture of one & I don't think alot of the pics on that link I found are real 100% German Giants, either. I really wonder if they exist anymore, I mean pure ones. If you ever find a pic of one, please let me know, I've always been intrigued by one. And Rubio has no German Giant, he's just a HUGE dragon. And he really is beefy, yet he's not overweight at all! He's just a really big handful!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Most of those original german giants were crossed out in the 80's and early 90's. It might be part of the reason we don't find them much on the internet.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Probably, that's what I'd heard, too. Too bad, it's amazing how fast a particular breed can disappear.

MBrian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What a bummer was hoping to see one. I'm sure there is someone out their who probably has a 28 inch beardie but doesn't realize that it's a "big deal" so we don't see any pictures or videos of one. However,I know that a big beardie like that isn't necessarily a German Giant but it still be cool to see one that big. To have an idea of the size you can always check out a Egyptian Uromastyx they are know for growing 24-30 inches in length.

Do you guys think they exist in the wild still?

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
there isn't a wild German Giant. Before Australia got better at finding poachers, bearded dragons were smuggled out of Australia.(They don't allow any fauna out except under very rigid conditions) I think that this was stopped pretty firmly in the mid/late eighties (going by memory here and my memory is like swiss cheese!)
So you have these out of country customs officials who turned over a ton of dragons to reptile enthusiasts and zoos.(as well as the ones who weren't caught) The enthusiasts bred dragons in small local pockets with limited populations. The US bred a lot of Inland bearded dragons for color, which, while breeding very colorful dragons, has reduced their size. Lately, there has been an emphasis on reduced scales, so we see a lot of that now but they are the same breeds. There is a small scaled wild bearded dragon (I don't recall it's name) but I think it can only be found in Australia.
The German Giants were bred more for size than for color. You have a very natural brown/grey dragon who is very large. I'm not certain off the top of my head if they were also Inland bearded dragons or if they were from, say Western Bearded Dragons....I think they are Inlands but...like I said about the memory! Now, eventually we decided that the grass is always greener on the other side of the pond, so we've interbreed these isolated groups, the big and the colorful, to get the best of both worlds. The downside of that is trying to find one of those old German Giants who blood line hasn't been diluted for color. It's worth looking at YouTube for vids of wild bearded dragons. There are some really interesting clips.

If anyone sees any errors with this, please correct me. I'm dredging it out of the dark recesses that is my memory. :p
-Carrie

(PS on that link to the photo search is the BIGGEST RABBIT I've ever seen!)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I think it was early 70s that the dragon was stopped from being taken out of Australia, that doesn't mean that they've not been sent over since then, but you have to have a license to have a beardie in Australia now and no wild ones are allowed to be pets, even if one lives in your back yard. I got this from an Australian who used to post on this site. Otherwise you're so right in why we can't find German Giants anymore. My Rubio was supposed to be from German Giant, he's a big beardie but he's yellow, so no way. Another beardie I had once was supposed to have German Giant in her, she was tiny, only 7.5" from snout to vent (and only 1/2 tail) and was olive coloured, with black sidebars & a white white beard, so I think breeders like to say that, even though it can't be true anymore.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
I seen a beardie that is 28" long at Petco. I'm not saying that it's a German Giant, but I am saying that it was HUGE :shock: Heres the pic of him...
hugebeardie.jpg

I wish the beardie would have had his head up instead of resting on her shoulder. It would have shown the full size of his head then, lol.

I posted it on a thread of when I went to the Reptile Rally last June.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
I remember you posting that picture! What a amazing beardie! If it isn't actually a German Giant, I bet it is what they'd want for GG stock! What a big lump :D
Thanks for posting it again.
-Carrie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Rubio's the same, only his body is longer. He's just not just such a long tail. I just love huge beardies, they're so much fun, love to cuddle. That beardies is so beautiful, love the colours, almost pastel & the red/orange down each side of the spine is so pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom