Can I feed my Bearded Dragon Wax Moths/Wax Worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexRogers

I've recently been giving my Bearded Dragon waxworms nearlly every two weeks as a treat. The first batch i got when I first got my Bearded Dragon was completely fine, however my second batch was fine when I first brought it, but I believe due to the recent hot weather near where I live they have nearly all turned into Wax moths.
Are the wax moths ok to feed to my Bearded Dragon as I was just wondering because I've never seen them for sale before or ever mentioned as a suitable livefood?, i guess it would seem stupid to throw away a whole batch so hopefully ill be able to find a use for them :D

Alex Rogers

ziggydoodles

Juvie Member
Waxworms are fine as an occasional treat for beardies, but you need to keep them refrigerated so they don't turn into moths

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Step one: Crush dog food, mix with water and honey. Allow to dry until no longer sticky.
Step two: Cover the bottom inch or two of a large jar with the dog food honey mix, crumple wax paper and toss in the jar.
Step three: add moths and cocoons to jar and cover jar with fine mesh screen and put a rubber band on to keep in place.
Step four: place in warm dark closet.
Step five: wait.
Step six: Harvest HUNDREDS of waxworms, this time put them in wood chips and put in the fridge to keep them from turning to moths again. :)

Hope this helps

ButterflyGirl89

Hatchling Member
Pixall":pszy14v0 said:
Step one: Crush dog food, mix with water and honey. Allow to dry until no longer sticky.
Step two: Cover the bottom inch or two of a large jar with the dog food honey mix, crumple wax paper and toss in the jar.
Step three: add moths and cocoons to jar and cover jar with fine mesh screen and put a rubber band on to keep in place.
Step four: place in warm dark closet.
Step five: wait.
Step six: Harvest HUNDREDS of waxworms, this time put them in wood chips and put in the fridge to keep them from turning to moths again. :)

Hope this helps

Does this really work for you?

I've always thought about trying to breed/raise waxworms, but I never saw a recipe as simple as that before and it just seemed too difficult. This sounds like it would be fantastic for money-saving purposes! :D

Difficult for me is: I failed miserably at raising superworms. I've got a super happy dubia colony, though!

If this is really all there is to it then I would totally give it a go! Waxworms to me are a much better treat than mealies or supers, anyway.

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
That's all I do to raise them. :) word to the wise tho letting the chow dry is NOT optional. If not 100% dry you will be overrun with mold.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
I tried it once but I think I put to much honey because it turned rock hard after a while. I got moths, but no worms. I watched a youtube video a long long time ago where someone explained breeding them on a large scale. He said he only used only a little honey, and had some substitute for honey that worked to keep costs down. Honey is expensive! I should see if I can find the video if its still around.

I fed them to a couple beardies years ago after ice fishing. One loved them. The other would bite them, then quickly spit them out. He acted like he liked the movement, but then realized he hated the texture or something. He repeated that a few times, then left them alone.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
Pixall":esvu04s6 said:
That's all I do to raise them. :) word to the wise tho letting the chow dry is NOT optional. If not 100% dry you will be overrun with mold.

I wonder if some vinegar would help create some leeway with the mold. People add some to fruit fly cultures when they are breeding them for small frogs to eat. I guess its a natural mold inhibitor.

AlexRogers

Original Poster
:? I did exactly what you said with the dog food etc, and theres like black fuzz all around the container is that mold or eggs? :O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom