how to make my beardy gain some weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
hi yall :) its been a long time since i been on here i miss everyone and there beardies :mrgreen: but anyway my bearded dragon has been kind of slim for a while now an i was wondering what can i give him to make him gain more weight cuz he looks flat like nothing is in his stomach he is a year and 5 months old he eats fine its just that i dont know what to give him to fatting him up and also his color turns dark alot of times when i take him out the cage why is that? please help

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
he looks really healthy id just keep on track for what your doing how much does he weigh at 5 months he should be around 300 350 some hit 500 at 6 months

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
cjsdragons":23eh6wie said:
he looks really healthy id just keep on track for what your doing how much does he weigh at 5 months he should be around 300 350 some hit 500 at 6 months
thats him in the picture when he was younger he is grown now ill post a picture of him of how he looks now but i dont know how many grams is he i do know i see loose skin on him an like i said he is about a year and 5 months old

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He should be fully grown at this point. What do you use for UVB? Is it a newish light. I'm trying to think of what could be causing him not to eat. Some dragons are just lean, I have 2 that I have trouble keeping weight on, so I've given them babyfood to get them through periods where they just don't want to eat. And as for stressing out when you take him out, I'm not sure about that either. Do you handle him alot? Dragons can get really picky, especially this time of year, they go through "spring fever" when they only think of breeding, not eating. Even if you have a single beardie it can affect them, too. What is he eating at this point? Anyway, start by measuring his length & his weight. And measure him from his snout to his vent. Beardies tails can be different lengths, so I measure all of mine that way. For an example: Didi is 7 1/2" from snout to vent, he's 6 yrs old & weighs 418g. Leo is the same length from snout to vent but he's 492g and 5 yrs old. Rubio is 10 1/2" from snout to vent, he weighs 749g (yes he's a big boy!) and is 4 yrs old. Lonzo is 9 yrs old, is 8 1/2" from snout to vent & 508g. Gabriel, my newest rescue, is 7" from snout to vent & 282g; he's 2 yrs old & is really underweight & undersized. So that gives you an example of different beardies. They're all under power suns & they all have new lights. I didn't realize their lights had gone past their due dates & they didn't have UVB for a month, so that also affected their appetites. Now that the lights are new, they're back eating & gaining weight again.
Deb

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Wax worms are good for weight gain. Not a good staple feeder tho due to them being high in fat.
~ Tommie

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
curtbone123":3m8gq89f said:
cjsdragons":3m8gq89f said:
thats him in the picture when he was younger he is grown now ill post a picture of him of how he looks now but i dont know how many grams is he i do know i see loose skin on him an like i said he is about a year and 5 months old
oh at a year and 5 months i had thought it was just 5 months
he should be about 20-22 inchs at this point and fully grown out did you have him checked for pinworms?

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
sweetiepie9":zivd7sd2 said:
20-22" long could be a bit long. Most beardies are anywhere from 18-22" long, depends.
im use to trans :p those long tails jade the numbers and make them seem bigger than they really are lol

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well that explains it. I have 5 dragons, all rescues or adopted. Rubio's the biggest dragon, he's 22" long with a tail nip, but no idea how much of his tail is missing, as it's the very end of the tail. The rest are all about 17" - 18" some with tail nips, some not. Even my new rescue Gabriel who's so tiny, his tail is 10 1/2" long, which is long for a tail! That's why I always measure snout to vent, gives a more realistic measurement, when it comes to comparing with other dragons. Bet your trans is a beautiful dragon!

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
salesss006.jpg

hypotrans when fired up he turns that eye color over his entire body hes my big boy :D

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
feed him things high in fat, and try to feed more than normal each day.

how much do you feed each day?

is he eating like a pig but not gaining weight?

they get dark when they are trying to absorb heat. when Mr Dargon goes outside in the sun he gets dark for about 30 minutes. then he brightens up and takes off.

I always joke that he is charging up, and when he takes off his charge is complete.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He eats like 5 to 10 superworms a day so he don't have a problem eating its just I think he is not eating enough and my uvb light is up to date he barely eat his veggies too and I haven't gotten him check for parasites either I hope dats not the problem

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
curtbone123":5c9bg4o4 said:
He eats like 5 to 10 superworms a day so he don't have a problem eating its just I think he is not eating enough and my uvb light is up to date he barely eat his veggies too and I haven't gotten him check for parasites either I hope dats not the problem
superworms are kind of a pointless food that might be why they shouldent be the staple they have small nutritional value i stick with solely roachs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom