White Tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS72

Hi,

My girl is about a year old. I noticed the other day that her tongue is white and it never used to be like that. I am a bit worried, but before I call the vet, I thought I would ask here. I read one article that said it was ok, just up her calcium, and then saw another that said go to the vet if this happens. She has definitely been sleepy over the last month or so, but she is still eating her salad and the bugs (crickets and reptiworms each once a week). She has definitely cut back alot on the food since I switched her over to salads more, but I figured this was normal since she isn't growing like she was. For salads I am giving her an assortment of collard, dandelion butternut and acorn squash etc. following the color coded table with the nutritional values that someone from this site gave me.

Her basking spot (with UVA) ranges from 95 to 110 depending on where she lays, and she has a UVB 10.0 reptisun fluorescent light (which I just changed out after 6 months). She is currently cozy in a 40 gallon breeder (I know please dont yell at me. I am trying to get her a 125 gallon).

What should I do about my girl?
Lisa

LMS72

Original Poster
The whole tongue. I ended up taking her to the vet last night. He drew some blood and said she is most likely anemic. Hopefully its a dietary issue and not a blood parasite (which were the two options he gave me). Sadly, she has been struggling with this for awhile, so I hope whatever problem, its not too far gone and she will recover. I noticed she was super sleepy all the time for the last few weeks, and I wasn't sure if she was just brumating (first time beardie owner). Now that I finally saw her tongue, I know there was something wrong. She has moments of pep, but for the most part, she's very lethargic. My poor girl. :(

On the up side, she's not losing weight. She is up 200 grams from her last visit last November. Since I got her last August, she's gained over 400 grams!

NightFury

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry to hear that! I'm glad you have taken her to the vets though. I am keeping High hopes and happy thoughts for your girl, I'm sure she'll pull through after she gets the right treatment. Please keep us updated :)

LMS72

Original Poster
Thankfully, her blood work came back completely normal. The vet was surprised that her levels were so good because he was sure she was anemic. He told me that sometimes a white tongue doesn't mean anything. I wonder if she's sleepy/lazy because her cage is a bit small for her and she's just bored all day waiting for me to come home. Could she be brumating? If not, any ideas how I can get her to pep up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom