Feeling sick from medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarragon

Tarragon had 2 parasites since we got her. She was pretty active before, but once we started treatment for them, she got VERY lethargic and stopped eating. She used to eat at least 30 crickets a day and went down to about 5-6. She had also started sleeping a lot more. Is this normal? Will she get back to normal? We don't know how old she is, but she is about 16 inches long and less than a year old.
She also stopped pooping as much. She used to go every other day and now it is once a week. Could this be because of not eating as much? It has been about 2 weeks since we stopped the last treatment.

Cammy

What medications was she on? Was a fecal test done after finishing treatment to make sure everything was taken care of?

Unfortunately, intestinal upset is a fairly common side effect associated with a lot of antiparasitic meds. The meds typically kill off both the good and the bad gut flora and fauna that naturally occur in the patient's digestive tract. One thing that can help substantially is starting a probiotic supplement in conjunction with the meds to make up for the loss of that "good bacteria." Acidophiliz+ for reptiles can be ordered online, or you can pick up Acidophilus from a nearby drug store.

Tarragon

Original Poster
She did 3 rounds for pinworms and 2 for coccidia. I don't remember what it was called. She said there is still a small amount of coccidia, but that can be normal? Is that true?

That makes sense to use probiotics. Should I give them to her now? It's been 2 weeks since she last had any meds.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It has been 2 weeks since she was on the medications? Usually, the medications affect them for a little while.
I would try some probiotics such as acidophiliz or non daily soy yogurt to help out for her tummy. How are her colors doing?
Yes, they normally have low levels of worms & or parasites as their natural gut flora just like mammals & humans do. It is just when they get too high that they begin to affect the health & well being.

Is she eating very much right now?
She was probably on Albon & Panacur, correct?

Tracie

Tarragon

Original Poster
Water PH level? What does that affect?

I will try to find the yogurt today.

She has been doing better and eating more. We have been giving her wax worms to help her gain some weight back. She is still sleeping a lot and wont go and find her food. She will eat it though if I pick her up and put her by it.

And we noticed that the inside of her mouth was more of a greyish tan rather than pink. The vet said that might be dehydration so we will be giving her baths some more because she drinks more water in there.

I hope we are doing the right things. I worry about her. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom