German Giant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saranita

I'm just wondering if anyone on here can help me determine if my bearded dragon is infact a German Giant. My friends and I have a suspicion and I'm just looking for thoughts from people on here. He is 24" long from nose to tail and weighs 628g.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
could be part i suppose. I'm no authority though. Go find some Pagona Barbata pictures and compare those. I might recall hearing something about Barbata's having a bit longer of a head, but I can't remember exactly? Some one will come on here and help you though :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
The original GG where 26 to 32 inches long, weighed in at 2000 plus grams and where built like tanks.
They have been crossed out so many times since they came over that the line no longer exists in any traceable way (this is My opinion)
Before the morphs dragons averaged over 21 inches long and weighed 500 plus grams.
Due to the work of some breeders. Those sizes are returning, however, alot of breeders are slapping a GG tagline on them to jack up pricing.
In My opinion you have a large healthy pagona vitticeps.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
TheWolfmanTom":1x7wsumv said:
The original GG where 26 to 32 inches long, weighed in at 2000 plus grams and where built like tanks.
They have been crossed out so many times since they came over that the line no longer exists in any traceable way (this is My opinion)
Before the morphs dragons averaged over 21 inches long and weighed 500 plus grams.
Due to the work of some breeders. Those sizes are returning, however, alot of breeders are slapping a GG tagline on them to jack up pricing.
In My opinion you have a large healthy pagona vitticeps.

+1

Couldn't have said it any better

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I dug out my old Vivarium magazine [ Journal of the American Federation of Herpetoculturists, no longer in print ] In an article from 1996, Vol. 7, # 6, written by Bob Mailloux + Phillipe De Vosjoli....this is what it said about G.G...." A size morph imported from Germany and offered by breeders such as Pete Weiss. They attain a large size + can produce clutches up to 68 eggs. Males can sometimes exceed 24". The article also mentions that they are a p.vitticeps, not a cross. And the book " General care + maintenance of bearded dragons " by the same authors mentions that p. barbata [ Eastern bearded ] is a different morph can sometimes reach 2 feet. At the time of the writing, there were few in U.S, collections, they were not easy to raise + had a slower growth rate. The hatchlings that came from cross breeding p. barbata with other pogona were weak + did not do well. As for the writer [ Bob Mailloux ] , developer of the famous sandfire dragons, he is known around the world as the one who really introduced the majority of color phases existing in the hobby today. [ If you Google his Sandfire dragon ranch, you will see how long he has been a breeder + what impact he had on the hobby ] But Pete Weiss is reportedly the one to introduce the German Giant in to the hobby, they were in the 22-26" inch range and very large dragons today probably and possibly carry those genes.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
AHBD":1kblaxfe said:
I dug out my old Vivarium magazine [ Journal of the American Federation of Herpetoculturists, no longer in print ] In an article from 1996, Vol. 7, # 6, written by Bob Mailloux + Phillipe De Vosjoli....this is what it said about G.G...." A size morph imported from Germany and offered by breeders such as Pete Weiss. They attain a large size + can produce clutches up to 68 eggs. Males can sometimes exceed 24". The article also mentions that they are a p.vitticeps, not a cross. And the book " General care + maintenance of bearded dragons " by the same authors mentions that p. barbata [ Eastern bearded ] is a different morph can sometimes reach 2 feet. At the time of the writing, there were few in U.S, collections, they were not easy to raise + had a slower growth rate. The hatchlings that came from cross breeding p. barbata with other pogona were weak + did not do well. As for the writer [ Bob Mailloux ] , developer of the famous sandfire dragons, he is known around the world as the one who really introduced the majority of color phases existing in the hobby today. [ If you Google his Sandfire dragon ranch, you will see how long he has been a breeder + what impact he had on the hobby ] But Pete Weiss is reportedly the one to introduce the German Giant in to the hobby, they were in the 22-26" inch range and very large dragons today probably and possibly carry those genes.
I found this article online last year when I suspected my big boy might have GG in him. This helped confirm the abnormally large dragon I had with the possibility the genes do exist still, but are weakened and rarely display physical characteristics. BTW, my Dragon was measured 2 days ago, 26.75 inches long. He grew a bit over the last year.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey Tom, yes, I do have the magazine. It's raggedy but still readable LOL ! It was the " BEARDED DRAGON SPECIAL " ,price was $5.95 U.S., $6.95 Canada. Back then it didn't even make mention of leatherback or trans., those weren't really around or established enough to be mentioned. It did also mention a small number of p.minima + p. minor were imported into the U.S. in the 80's [ these were small dragons, I never heard of those] But didn't have enough to establish viable colonies. The Pogona Brevis was mentioned as well, [ aka P. Henrylawsonii ] now called Rankin's dragons. But I'm like you. I'd love to see one of the 26+ inch dragons, [ such as saleen has, and the o.p. has a 24"].... even 24" is still very impressive.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
I'll take a picture later with him next to a tape measure. I'll also put the tape measure on to show how wide and how long his head is. In any case, each and every beardie owner who has seen my boy in person is just taken back by his sheer size.

In the mean time, here are some pics of him I have posted in the past.

IMG_1825.jpg

This platform is 22" long and 6" wide
photo.jpg

The female on his back is 18" long.
photo1.jpg

jirish617

Hatchling Member
saleen89559":21qgowtv said:
I'll take a picture later with him next to a tape measure. I'll also put the tape measure on to show how wide and how long his head is. In any case, each and every beardie owner who has seen my boy in person is just taken back by his sheer size.

In the mean time, here are some pics of him I have posted in the past.

IMG_1825.jpg

This platform is 22" long and 6" wide
photo.jpg

The female on his back is 18" long.
photo1.jpg

thats unreal, and I thought lenny was big, 22in and 937 grams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom