Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great Dino is doing better. I hope she can breathe better with her nostrils cleared out. Did she eat anything today?
I hope the vets will agree to nebulization treatment, I think that would help a lot.
Keep us posted on her.

Thanks.
Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry I didn't post sooner guys, I've been crazy busy tonight. Dino still seems to be doing fine off the meds. She's eating & drinking normally. I talked to the vet today. The 2 vets spoke. Here's what I THINK she said. I took notes as fast as I could while she talked but there was so many big words being used ex., anerobic, cytology, pathologists...I have no friggin' clue what half of them meant! I'm a simple person, what can I say! LOL! Transtrachael wash was mentioned again. If we need to get to that step she said something about another test being done along with the normal one, (Tracie, WTH is cytology?). Again, no guarantees that the wash will give a result as to how to treat. Depends on what type of bacteria or fungus it is, how quickly or slowly it grows on the smear...bla bla bla. Not doing that right now anyway, so I still have a while to learn about all that she said. When I see her in person, I will ask questions...LOTS OF QUESTIONS. Soooo, we're going to try another antibiotic along with an antifungal, the antifungal also will be administered by nebulizer. Some medications she mentioned were (forgive my spelling, just a guess with how they sounded) Intraconizal, Genozine and Amocacin??? The last 2 can be used in the nebulizer as well. I think one of them would be by injection 1/48 hrs (don't remember if it's the antifungal or the antibiotic). My task for tomorrow is to get a pediatric nebulizer. Called around tonight after work. Sounds like I need a prescription to purchase one. Anyone know? I have to do a little online looking too. Gotta try to sneak that in during work tomorrow. I gotta get to bed...gonna be slammed at work tomorrow, going back to rehab hospital after work to get Auntie's laundry so I can deliver it back to her nice and clean Wednesday night. Dino will probably be sleeping by the time I get home. My son will be on duty. I gave him his orders: Give her food, give her water, apply cream, turn up her night heat when her lights shut off. He probably won't be as particular about the cream application as I am, but she'll get some on her! Talk soon!
Hugs,

Sue

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, the nebulizer finally showed up yesterday (Friday). I will be starting her treatments today along with giving her an oral dose of Itraconazole every day (first dose of that given yesterday). The neb med is a solution of Amikacin in saline. I hope this works!! (fingers crossed!) She eagerly ate a couple of dusted crickets today and about 6 more undusted. She's been eating everyday. She's still all crusty and I think the fungus is spreading. I see yellow spots on her tummy now and the tips of her spikes look yellow too. I lube her up with that cream and I think it's improved a TINY bit. Anyone know if there's a spray to treat that??? Thanks for caring everyone!

Hugs,

Sue

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

That is great you got a treatment in already. I really hope that it helps her out!
So they used amakacin instead of Baytril? That should be fine then. The itraconazole is harsh on her system so make sure you keep her hydrated plenty during this time along with giving probiotics, too.
Keep us posted on her.
There are antifungal sprays that should be in the same section with the creams but the creams may work better.

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tracie, When you say probiotics, you mean human stuff?? Like acidophilus? How would I give her that? I got the cream from the vet, I could use regular store bought spray too?

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DSCN0742.jpg

Nebulizer setup
DSCN0745.jpg

Dino in a "fog"
DSCN0746.jpg

Poor Lil' Girl x(
DSCN0748.jpg

All done!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

Poor girl! Hopefully she doesn't mind the treatments.
The probiotics need to be dairy free though like the acidophliz or the non dairy sory yogurt. They can be human grade as long as they are dairy free.
You are using the silvadene for the fungal issues, right?
Sometimes in the store you can find the anti-fungal sprays, so you can use one of those in combination with the cream the vet gave you also.
The cream though is pretty thick so you may have to do the spray in between the cream treatments.

How is she doing today?

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
probiotics need to be dairy free though like the acidophliz or the non dairy sory yogurt
Tracie, did you mean "soy" yogurt? Yes, the cream is silver sulfadiazine from the vet for the fungus. The spots are getting blacker, I don't know if that means it's clearing up or getting worse.
I was able to "blast" some crust off of her head today with the spray nozzle on the sink. I've done that the last couple times I bathed her and she just sits there and lets me spray her, like it feels good or something! LOL! So funny. (The pressure coming out isn't real high. I probably have the faucet on half way so it's not actually "blasting" her!) I would imagine it's itchy and it the sprayer must feel scratchy to her and it's probably giving her some relief. =) She took a nice drink in her shower and via syringe later after her oral med. She gets water via the syringe everyday for hydration and she drinks from it EVERY DAY. Making sure she stays hydrated!!
She didn't have much of an appetite today. One cricket, one beardie bite, one small wax worm, tried them all to see if she would take anything. She just turned her nose up at me.
Her BM was an absolute mess this morning. Lotta wetness but she's been drinking a lot so I guess that's expected. Loose stools though. Not diarrhea, but not formed. She went again during her shower, it looked formed, but don't know if it was mush or not, watching it go down the drain.
Her breathing seems better, but it has ever since vet 2 has cleared out her nasal passages. I'm being told to nebulizer her twice a day, oral her once a day and cream her everyday. I feel like I'm torturing her cuz every time I take her out, it's for some kind of treatment. Sucks to be me right now! She's only been nebbed once a day over the weekend. I cream her every other day. The stuff is so thick that it's still on there the next day, glistening in the light. I'm gonna call the vet and ask her if nebbing her 1x a day is okay or not (this script is from the vet who had never used a nebulizer on a beardie before, mind you). I really don't know how to get it in 2x a day Mon - Fri anyway... I work full time. I would have to set her lights (and my alarm) back 2 hours earlier in the a.m. and leave them on at night another hour or 2 to get it done twice!
She just sits in the box while the nebs going (30 minutes). She's not running around trying to get out of the box or anything, but she's not really running around much lately anyway. The only time I see her move much is when she wants outta the sink or back into her tank (glass dancing) I do everything on the table the tank is on. She's always trying to get back in there...I'm torturing her out there and that's her safe place in there! Poor Lil girl. =( She is going through a lot. Thanks for checking in on us!

Hugs,

Sue

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Esther! I really do appreciate all the support from you guys. It keeps me *positive*! :wink:

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So, I'm at the point where I have "too much information" and it's all getting jumbled up. Went to the grocery store. Looked at soy yogurts. Has a lot of sugar in it. Is a fungal infection similar to a yeast infection? If so, isn't sugar & fruit bad for that? I saw: OUR LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES ARE MILK BASED on the YoSoy Baby package so I said: forget it. I looked at the probiotics in CVS. Saw Culturell for Kids packets that you mix with water. It has: Lactobacillus GG. Wasn't sure about that so I said: forget it. They didn't have any liquid form of probiotics either, which I figured would be easier to get into her. Next: Betadine baths. She drinks from her bath/shower. If she ingests that, will it affect her in any way? Dilution in the bath? Had a bottle in my hand, felt uncertain, said: forget it. I looked at the fungul sprays/creams. Which ingredient will be most helpful? They're all different: forget it. After all that, I came home with: an extra oral syringe and a headache. UGH! Any advice would be EXTREMELY helpful right now!

Hugs & Thanks,

Sue

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Sue, I went through the same thing when looking for a suitable probiotic. I decided to order it from Tracie www.bug-de-lite.com both my boys love the acidophiliz+ made specifically for lizards and it works wonders. Also Tracie is quick to ship :wink:

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
If your beardie drinks from their bath, give them a clear water bath first to drink from, then change water to Betadine bath and keep the head up and don't allow to drink from the Betadine bath. If your beardie has already drank from the clear water bath, most likely it is quenched and won't drink more. Betadine baths are excellent for part of fungus treatments, and to clean/treat wounds and sores. It needs to be diluted to look like weak tea when used for your beardie. I always have it in my Beardie first aid kit. I wouldn't avoid using it as it has great benefit. Just don't let your beardie drink it.

Anti fungals:
Monistat is Miconazole 2% and is used for Candida yeast infections
Lamisil is Terbinafine and is used for Dermatophyte, 3 types of fungi organisms that colonize the keratin tissues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatophytes.
Either is recommended.

Amanda

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
You can go online and order Pet Authority Acidophiliz + , make sure you get quick shipping cause the sooner you get it, the sooner it can help your baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom