Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
A friend suggested I jump on this thread! And wow! Poor baby!
I recently went through pneumonia with my girl, vet diagnosed it as pneumonia due to hypothermia from shipping! We had cultures and an X-ray done to confirm she was givin a shot of antibiotics and bayril oraly daily for 12 days at the vet they also have her a nebulizer treatment. I honestly thought I was gonna lose her and if tracie didn't suggest that I continue the neb treatments at home she prob wouldn't have come out of it! I'm still not sure if she's 100% but she going really good! I hope something I shared was useful lol. And I'm hoping and Praying yours can pull through all of this

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, so I got the blood work back and Dino's kidneys look good! Vet #2 left me a message saying that. She has been playing phone tag with Vet #1. I'm going to call Vet #1's office tomorrow morning to see if they got in touch. My new friend Tracie also looked at her labs and says they look good too! (Thanks Tracie!) I keep hearing "nebulizer treatments" from you guys. I asked Vet #2 about that and she said it's more commonly used in avian (birds)treatment. Then she said something about putting Dino in a humidifier chamber. That didn't make sense to me. Isn't the idea to keep her in a DRY environment right now? Unless she meant a humidifier that spits out medicine? I don't know. We didn't really get into it that much because I wanted the blood results first before I got my head filled with too much information! So, now I need to talk with them and see what they feel next step should be. I'm feeling a little more confident today now that I know her kidneys are in good shape.

Heather- Thanks for your post! Any info at this point is so appreciated!! When your beardie was on baytril, did she show improvement?? Dino did not. Baytril was the 4th time she was put on an antibiotic. She had already gone through 3 cycles of ceftazadime injections done at home by me. How long did you do the neb treatments? What medicine was used in it? Very curious about this and want to have as much info as I can to share with the vets. Clearly they have no clue about this with reptiles!

QUESTION TO ALL: Has anyone had a tracheal wash done on their beardie???

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
I just used a norm himan nebulizer I had with distiller h20 and a lil baytril I
It seemed very wrong to me also!!! Filling her with humidity when all we ever do is try to keep down their humidity lol. But I instantly saw a huge diff in her, she would even put her head directly into the mist and take deep breaths! The reason is the meds can penatrate much deeper into the lung tissue! I did the neb's for 7 days! Look on CL to get one quick and staralize the tubs ect! It's worth a shot ;). Hopefully it does wonders like it did for mine! Oh yes baytril was the first med she was given

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
That is wonderful news her kidneys are good! :blob5: That a positive step for her.

I think your instincts were right on the money! I personally wouldn't let anyone put her in
a humidifer chamber for any reason, even if meds are added. High humidity can cause
.....respiratory infections :shock: ....just wondering what the vet was thinking?

Nebulizers are different. It uses dry compressed air to turn medicine into an aerosolized
mist of medication inhaled directly into the lungs. The vet is at least familiar with nebs
for birds. I'd insist to at least try it. The beardie experts here can't all be wrong :D
But of course it's up to you if you want to insist.
Amanda

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

You are very welcome. :D
The most commonly used drug for nebulization treatments is Baytril because of the particle size. For pneumonia, I would recommend trying it because it will penetrate deeper into the lung tissue. Just a quick explanation of their lungs, they do not have cilia which makes it very difficult for them to clear out their lungs once they get fluids or other contaminants in there. I think you should give it a try, but, definitely not a humidifier!
How is she doing this evening?
The tracheal wash is very invasive indeed. I have never had any experience with it but have known a few people who did have it done. It just gets fluids from the lungs for testing.
The vet is on the right track.
Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The two vets were playing phone tag yesterday and have not spoken yet. Dino is breathing much better since Vet #2 scraped her nostrils off and flushed out her nasal passages with a saline solution so I feel okay to wait until they get in touch on Monday. If they decide the trach wash is in fact what's next, she has to be off antibiotics for 10 days anyway which brings us to April 4th. The other thing I did was I bought a new light fixture that has a dimmer on it for her night heat bulb. I leave it on all the way at night, and put it on half way during the day to increase the temps in her cage a little more. Took the Zilla strip off the top. Will go out today and get a ReptiSun instead. Getting ready to give her a nice soak and lube her up with the silver sulfadiazine right now. Thanks guys, really, I mean it. I can't thank you all enough for being so supportive and helpful. Hugs to all of you, if you posted once or 10 times, it means the world to us (my son and I!). Every little bit of info we get is HUGE right now! <3
I'll will keep you all posted, I promise! You're like Dino's new family, everyone's so worried about her!

Hugs,

Sue

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DSCN0527.jpg

Another view of her 'crud'. UGH.

DSCN0536.jpg

Haven't seen any open mouth breathing... Must be nice to be able to breath out of her NOSTRILS!

DSCN0531.jpg

I HATE keeping her in that tiny tank. :( That's like a studio apt compare to her MANSION that she's usually in.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Thanks for the update. It's wonderful that she can now breathe normally. Keep up the good work, Sue!
She is so fortunate to have you.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
babydino.jpg

A healthy, little Dino last year.

spikebackpack.jpg

This was Spike (my login name is from her). Spike was our first beardie. She was a big, beautiful big girl. Thinking back, she was sick for about a week or so before she passed on us. Now wondering if she too, contracted something (coccidia (sp?) symptoms) from the place we boarded her at. She had been boarded there more than once. She had seen the vet and had been dewormed. Other than that, she was healthy and vibrant! Miss her!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm sure you're already considering other options the next time you need boarding. Spike was beautiful. I'm sure you miss her very much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great Dino is breathing a little bit better now. Maybe that did help flush her nostrils out pretty well then.
How is she doing today, any improvements on her appetite? I really hope that you are able to get her back to 100% soon. At least the vets look like they are trying now.
Keep us posted!

Dino was a little cutie at that size!
I know how much you must miss Spike, also. I am sorry for your loss, that is never ever easy. :(

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have to say that Dino looks better in her tank now. Looks like a lot of that "crud" is coming off now. Must seem so great for her to breathe out of her nose. She sure was adorable when she was little, hopefully she can get nice & healthy again. You're doing a great job with her!

So sorry to hear about Spike, what a beautiful girl. It's so hard to lose one of babies especially when we don't know what went wrong. :(

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dino's still doing okay. Making sure those nasal passages don't get blocked up again. That was definitely a big help, getting those cleaned up. She ate a normal amount today and yesterday. Maybe not being able to breath while chewing made her quit eating early. I'll be on the phone with the vets offices tomorrow for sure to find out what should be done next! Gonna def ask about nebulizer treatments again. Thanks for asking everyone! My Spike... another "boy turned girl" lizard! My son, always hoping for a boy...typical Italian male I guess! ;) LOL! They all want a "Son"!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
So glad your baby is feeling a little better, hopefully she will get completely better soon.
Keeping you in my thoughts,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom