Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Amanda-Yeah, I was afraid it would be a fungus diagnosis as well. Don't know why vet #1 couldn't SEE that! This is why we needed vet #2. Well, I was directed to stop Baytril as she is still open mouth breathing after 6 doses, not helping. Waiting for blood results now. Warm baths & topical cream for the crud all over her.
Someone asked if I mist her in her cage...no. Not since she's been sick. She has no water in there. She gets it via syringe daily so I know how much she's taking in. Usually between 5 & 10 ml.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I suspected yellow fungus too but I hadn't seen it that thick before. She has been on antibiotics for so long so it's really not surprising that she got it. What topical cream did they give her? Did either vet mention anything about soaking her in a weak Betadine solution?

Hope the blood work shows good results and that it's not her kidneys. She sure has been through a lot.

I had asked about misting her in her tank and the water bowl. I'm glad to hear that you're not doing that anymore and that she doesn't have a water bowl. Any idea what the humidity level is in her tank? Have you been using a heat emitter at night?

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was given silver sulfadiazine cream 1%. Yes, she does have a 75W night heat bulb and a small heating pad on the outside of the tank on the side to put some warmth closer to the bottom where she sleeps... There is a humidity gauge in the tank but it's been wet multiple times (I mean soaked from washing the tank out), doubt its accurate. All that's in the tank are her, paper towels for substrate, 2 rolled up hand towels on a ceramic platform/steps so she can get closer to the basking bulb in the daytime, a ceramic turtle shell for a hide. The tank is a 29 high aquarium with screen top (this is the hospital tank, her regular tank is a 75 gallon). She also has a zilla strip light.

So the new problem I'm noticing: I think she has a problem with her vision now. She can't tell how far to reach for food when it's on the tongs in front of her. I suspected this 2 vet visits ago, mentioned it. She couldn't tell if there was a problem with her eyes. Clearly, there is. When she's eating out of her dish, she tends to bite the side of the dish, not go INTO the dish. With the tongs, she's not reaching far enough to grab the food. *sigh* Can anything else happen at this point?!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
If effort and caring would heal her, she would be a perfect specimen. You are doing a great job. Hang in there!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would agree, that is yellow fungus, I am so sorry. The continued use of antibiotics did contribute to that.
Which cream did they give you, silvadene or an anti-fungal cream for her? I would definitely bathe her in a diluted betadine bath, daily to help get her skin clean before putting the cream on her.
When do you expect the blood test results in? I hope her kidneys are alright. Could you get a copy of them for me, that would be great.
She does need calcium 3 times a week for bone maintenance.
The Zilla UVB lights are not good & are known for irritating the eyes. I would change that out & use either the Reptisun 10 or Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb, either one. They are much better.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
How is your girl today? I've been thinking about her.
Maybe you would want to use Chamomile tea bags to sooth her eyes and loosen the crust as Chamomile has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.
My 2 rescues developed fungus after several courses of antibiotic for respiratory infections they had when I got them.
You may already know yeast needs an acidic environment.
Most prescription medicines can be highly acidic.
In general acidity overloads the immune system.
Yeast can not thrive in an alkaline environment,
I followed the vet prescribed soaks and treatments, alternated it every other day with the recommended treatment on this forum and I worked at changing the systemic pH of my beardies closer to base or alkaline. I figured it couldn't hurt and it might be of benefit.
I bought gallons of mineral water, it's alkaline rich. I used that mixed with Pedialyte for all their fluids. For drinking and adding some to their soaks. I figured alkaline mineral water topically might work together with taking it internally to change their pH.
Mustard and collard greens are alkaline rich. I pureed or squeezed them and added the juices to the baby food I was syringe feeding them.
I held warm Chamomile tea bags to the worst fungus sites, on their tummy's and sides, for about 10 minutes or so daily {some cuddle time} after the medicated soaks before the ointment was applied.
...do I know this worked....nope, I'm not a vet so I can't say. ....do I think it made a difference....oh, I sure do, after 9 weeks of daily treatments and daily intake of alkaline rich food and liquid my beardies are fungus free.
I hope you girl will be ok!
Amanda

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow, so much info to absorb... The blood tests should be back today. I had to have the long talk with my son last night to let him know what to expect if the kidneys are not ok. Breaks my heart! He's so sweet and loves his little beardie. He knows I'm doing everything I can to save her but at some point I have to ask myself, can I continue? It will be a long, difficult process if we go thru with the trach wash and find out what's next, if we can afford to do it. *fingers crossed* that we can.
Tracie- I was given silver sulfadiazine cream 1%. I would be happy to give you a copy of the blood workup results. Are you a vet? Not that it matters, just wondering. I think a lot of you would make excellent reptile vet techs if you're not DVM's! LOL! Everything I know, I've learned online. Sites like this one and the site run by the Kaplan girl have educated me on husbandry & diet. Don't know what we'd do without learning from one another.

Hugs to all,

Sue

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just sitting here thinking of something while I'm at work:

Tracie- I thought it was the coil bulbs that could cause the eye problems? The bulb that's in there is a tube bulb, just the Zilla brand. I did shut the stip light off for a few days to see if it made a difference, I couldn't really tell... Of course, when I asked the vet about that, she had never heard of the lights causing eye problems. UGH!

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Hello,

I have had personal bad experience with the zilla tube bulb. I've never seen my guy so lethargic and he has been under many different UVB's, switched to the reptisun and he is 110% better!

Thinking of you guys!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Kalyn...good to know. When she's in her bigger tank, she's under a mercury vapor bulb which gives all: heat, light, uva & uvb, I only bought the strip thing for the hospital tank. I could only find MVB in 100 watt or higher which was too hot for the small tank. *sigh* Thanks for your input! =)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The coil bulbs do cause more of an eye problem than the tubes, but the zilla tubes are still linked to health problems besides issues with the eyes, which is why they shouldn't really be used.

The Arcadia 12% and Reptisun 10.0 are really the only safe and effective bulbs on the market at the moment.

-Brandon

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Brandon...I'm just gonna shut if off then until I can go out and get a Reptisun. (Probably tomorrow a long with a bunch of other items for her!)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh that will be great that you will be able to get the reptisun tomorrow! :D

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

No, I am not a vet, just have a MS in physiology. I would love to have gone to vet school, but didn't have the opportunity. Have contemplated it though now, later in life, if the economy ever turns around one day.
Great, the silver sulfadizine is a very good cream. It should be very effective! Most definitely, the chamomile tea is a good choice for the tea bag treatment. I believe that reptiles respond better to natural cures than to medications.
Yes, unfortunately, the Zilla has been causing trouble for awhile & they just have not corrected it. I would definitely change it out just to make her environment safer.
Great, I can PM you my email so you can email me the test results, thanks.

I hope she is doing well today.

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tracie- An MS in physiology, in and of itself, is quite impressive! Don't sell yourself short... "just have an MS in physiology." I was never a big science person myself. I wanted to be a vet too, then I found out how many years of MEDICAL school it would take and I said, "Forget that idea!" I just wanted to get the hell out of high school, never mind 8 more years on top of it! I opted for the computer tech shool for a year instead! LOL! Anyway, as soon as I get the call, I will ask the docs office to fax them over to me. I can scan them and e-mail them to you. Haven't heard from them yet. I'm thinking the doctor probably makes all her calls after 5pm. Hoping for good news. Little Dino is hanging on. She's still eagerly eating and drinking. That's a positive. I've got quite the shopping list for her this weekend. I've been so straight out this week between her and my aunt in the hospital, it's crazy! I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your great advice. Much appreciated!

Hugs to all,

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom