egg yolk peritonitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

readalot

My bearded dragon echo recently came down ill. He was listless and wouldn't open his eyes. so we took him to the vet after doing some tests they sent us home with liquid food so he would eat, and antibiotics.

They vet called me and told me that the radiologist thinks echo is a girl and has egg yolk peritonitis. She wasn't sure so she had another radiologist look at the xrays, with the same result. She wants to do a ultrasound to be sure. but we can't afford it (we spent all of the saving on the previous visit $500) So what i wanted to know is A. Is echo in pain? B. Is there anything that can be done?
Echo opened his/her eyes yesterday. and seemed better. but now if something startles her or if she gets slightly cold her head starts shaking. a lot. and she has diarrhea I'm not sure if its because of the liquid diet. we are taking her to the vet again Sunday.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Can you post up a picture like this:
sexing_male.jpg

So we can confirm or deny the sex of the dragon.

Eye problems are usually the effects of bad lighting.

Can you go over your lighting?
What uvb bulb do you use?
How close can your dragon get to the bulb?
How old is the bulb?
What do you use for a basking lamp?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Also, what makes your vet so sure its egg yolk peritonitis?

Honestly I've never heard of this happening to dragons, and as far as im aware, the only way to know if an animal has this is through an autopsy.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Was a blood test done on your dragon?
This is an extremely dangerous health situation if in fact it is egg yolk peritonitis, etc. This basically means she either retained eggs or some eggs burst in her coelomic cavity, causing scarring as well as massive infection. I cannot say if she is in pain, but her insides are most likely very tender & swollen which would not feel very good if infection is going on.
I would speak to them about a payment plan, or look into the Care credit which a lot of the vets do. It is a non interest credit card used to help with vet bills.
First off though, we do need to confirm the sex of your dragon, immediately, to make a better analysis. If you could run over your tank setup also, that would be great.
If this is the case, she can go downhill & crash very quickly.
Try to keep her comfortable & maintain the tank temperatures around 80 over night.
Is she eating anything right now?

Tracie

readalot

Original Poster
sorry echo had some diarrhea and i couldn't get all of the staining off.
IMG_1645.jpg

In the terrarium i have
heat emiter 100 w zoomed (this is connected to a thermostat that turns it on and off)
On the right i have 100w power sun UV bulb (this is the basking lamp)
going across the top there is a reptisun uvb 10.0 fluorescent
all of the bulbs were bought last December
IMG_1647.jpg

there was a perch on top of the house to the right but i took it out because Echo kept falling off.
Echo is sitting on a heating rock.
The terrariums dimensions are:
24 Height 36 length 24 depth

Echo did have a blood test done the vet told me that everything was normal except the white blood cell count was way high
Echo is eating Carnivore Care 1/2 Teaspoon four times a day

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Echo....you can get that cleaned off if you give a short soak and gentle scrub with a toothbrush. It'll come right off. Well, from that pic, he looks like a he...but if you could try again just bending the tail back a little more, it would show even better. But I think he's a he. If you want info about white cell elevation, p.m. Drache613, she's a mod with lots of experience that may be helpful. Oh, and do you have a heat emitter as well as a 100 watt bulb ? That would be way too much heat. The hot rock would add to that problem as well. Check your temps ! I wish the best for you !

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree from the pic, he looks like a male.

So you have both a powersun and a reptisun?
I would loose the powersun and replace it with a normal Bright White bulb. You can use a household bulb even, as long as it gets you the temperature you need.

How are you measuring your temperatures?

Did you just start Echo on the Carnivore Care recently?

What was his diet like before you started him on the CC?
Did the vets do a fecal test at all?

-Brandon

readalot

Original Poster
claudiusx":2ql954un said:
Hi there,

I agree from the pic, he looks like a male.

So you have both a powersun and a reptisun?
I would loose the powersun and replace it with a normal Bright White bulb. You can use a household bulb even, as long as it gets you the temperature you need.

How are you measuring your temperatures?

Did you just start Echo on the Carnivore Care recently?

What was his diet like before you started him on the CC?
Did the vets do a fecal test at all?

-Brandon
The vet told me i needed both bulbs i use an electric thermostat that i move around the terrarium to check temps.
Yes when he got sick he wasn't eating. so the vet had us feed him this. he has been eating the Carnivore care since friday. The only thing he would eat were superworms. he completely ignored crickets and vegitables. the only vegi ive been able to get him to eat is clover and in winter thats hard to get. Ive tried the pellets and he won't eat those either.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do not suggest using a powersun and a reptisun in the same tank. They are both UVB bulbs, and the powersun is a pretty powerful one.

The reptisun 10.0 is one of two of the only real safe uvb bulbs out there that do their job. I stick to my recommendation of saying you need to switch your powersun for a normal bright white bulb. You want one uvb bulb, and one basking bulb. Not two uvb bulbs.

-Brandon

readalot

Original Poster
AHBD":10bazjpl said:
Poor Echo....you can get that cleaned off if you give a short soak and gentle scrub with a toothbrush. It'll come right off. Well, from that pic, he looks like a he...but if you could try again just bending the tail back a little more, it would show even better. But I think he's a he. If you want info about white cell elevation, p.m. Drache613, she's a mod with lots of experience that may be helpful. Oh, and do you have a heat emitter as well as a 100 watt bulb ? That would be way too much heat. The hot rock would add to that problem as well. Check your temps ! I wish the best for you !
Is this better?
IMG_1648.jpg

readalot

Original Poster
claudiusx":1u9ctcei said:
I do not suggest using a powersun and a reptisun in the same tank. They are both UVB bulbs, and the powersun is a pretty powerful one.

The reptisun 10.0 is one of two of the only real safe uvb bulbs out there that do their job. I stick to my recommendation of saying you need to switch your powersun for a normal bright white bulb. You want one uvb bulb, and one basking bulb. Not two uvb bulbs.

-Brandon
k ill switch it out

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I believe it's a male....he has large femoral pores [ they look like raised dots ] on the undersides of his legs as well. Well, at least you can tell your vet what it is not , and save a lot of money.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would agree, Echo appears to be a male. Unless they can see ovaries or fallopion tubes with an ultrasound or something!
So egg yolk issues would not be applicable here.
Do you happen to have a copy of the blood tests I could see? Let me know & I will send my email to you. I would like to take a look.
How close do you have the Powersun to him?
It depends on how close it is as to whether or not you can use the Reptisun. Honestly, the Powersun is not all that strong & if they are placed strategically, it would be fine to use both for good UVB exposure. Or as suggested, you can switch it out for a bright white halogen or clear house hold bulb & use a dual light fixture & use 2 Reptisun 10 tube bulbs for good exposure, also.

Did he like his critical care? Let us know how he is doing.
How are the temperatures doing?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom