HELP! PARASITES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherbert

yesterday i bought 6 dozen crickets from my local reptile store. today i shook a few out of my cricket keeper, and noticed a foreign object that just fell out of the tube, as i looked closer it appeared to be moving. when i looked closer it was indeed a cricket, but just the exoskeleton and the inside was filled with what looks like pinworms? either way i have bagged and cleaned up the worms off the bottom of the slate tile, my question being should i abandon all 6 dozen crickets and give my keeper a thorough cleaning with a water-vinegar solution? or should i try to salvage the crickets? ive never encountered parasites or worms with my Beardie and i never want to have to. hes maxed out at 16" long and i am not his original owner but i believe hes almost 10 years old. a diet of mostly crickets and hornworms every other day, collard greens every day and a variety of fruit. i dust crickets also. any help would be nice. exotic vet not an option.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Were they fuzzy little black worms ? Those are Dermestid beetle larva, they are included in some cricket shipments because they eat the dead crix and skin sheds.

I’m not 100% sure if all the crickets would be infected but when my beardie Grievous had parasites the medication cost me $80 so I would suggest getting rid of the crickets because although they are expensive it’s certainly better than having to purchase medication. Better safe than sorry. I would also suggest notifying the pet store of the issue to ensure this doesn't happen to someone else.
- Sadie

Sherbert

Original Poster
they look like tapered white worms about 3-5mm long some are slightly pink towards the tip. the exoskeleton of the cricket is there, the insides are not. i have the worms bagged up, no idea how to dispose of them. i was going to bring them to the store before i realized how silly that was incase they somehow manage to make their way out of the bag and into food ect. anyways i will be phoning the store to let them know, and i will probably be buying a whole new cricket keeper because this one has gotten pretty beat up and the black tubes are gross so i hope they arent harboring and parasites that i cant see. also i dont want to feed the crickets to him for obvious reasons, but how do i dispose of 6 dozen crickets that could have worms? im limited to what i can do because im recovering from a bone graft and i am in multiple casts that i really dont want these worms to crawl into hahahaha.

thanks.
-Jake.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yuk ! Sounds nasty ! To kill quickly, just pour scalding water on them, in the container or the bag. It will kill immediately. I hope your bone heals well.

Sherbert

Original Poster
AHBD":3cd7jzm9 said:
Yuk ! Sounds nasty ! To kill quickly, just pour scalding water on them, in the container or the bag. It will kill immediately. I hope your bone heals well.
Sweet that sounds like the best option, ill throw the worms with them too. And thanks alot!

Sherbert

Original Poster
just an update, put the worms and the whole cricket keeper in a garbage bag outside so it freezes all of them overnight. i bought a bigger cricket keeper so all the crickets arent all ontop of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom