Bearded dragon is in pain! Claw fell off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys this is my first post. My bearded dragon, Lily has lost a claw, i dont know how, and it seems to be paining her. She is limping a little when she walks and runs, but that doesnt discourage her. We are giving her iodine baths every day. She is 8 months old and is about 10 inches. (she had a bad shed a while back, and it constricted her tail, so she lost part of it). But i think its hurting her just coming in. Shes not limping as much as yesterday, but we wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions on it? Thanks!

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Don't panic. Whilst unusual, this does happen sometimes, often if the finger or toe was bitten or damaged. You're doing the right thing, and keeping an eye on it. It moat likely won't grow back, but this won't affect her day to day life. One of my rescues is missing several claws, one of which she arrived with, but it was badly mangled - she broke it off digging in her hut. It healed over nicely and is fine now.

Give her some nice treats to take her mind off it, and keep watch in case of infection, and ask a proper vet too. :)

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
Thank you. I wasnt panicking, just wanted people to notice. We will vivit our vet tomorrow and ask her. I will keep you guys posted... literally. But really thank yopu and you are so brave and caring to adopt a rescue. This is another example of the stunning bearded dragon community. Ill post some pictures pretty soon.-Raptor. P.s. my name is raptor because my other beardie is raptor.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
*smiles* It's usually my first bit of advice, "Don't Panic". I ought to do it in big, reassuring, pink letters... (Sorry. I'm also a bit of a geek. Douglas Adams references.)

Every dragon deserves a good home, and you're clearly doing all the best things for her - we'd certainly love to see pictures! :) Keep us updated, and best of for the vet visit.

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
I would love to put pictures up and will try to. Not sure how to though. Can you fill me in in some details? I have pictures. Hi res ones about 8 megapixels so theyll be pretty good quality. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice! She is feeling much better and raptor my other beardie is playing the moral support role.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Sure thing. Load them up to a media site (photobucket, imageshack, google plus, whatevs). Take the image link (right click, Copy Image URL), then use the button above your reply box that says "Img" and paste your link in there (CTRL+V).

It will look like this in your reply box:
Code:
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-V96lNpwk0EE/TzVK8MCvBxI/AAAAAAAAGuU/CgWmEhyGN7g/w402/2012%2B-%2B1[/img]

And come out like this on your reply:
2012%2B-%2B1

In fact, this here is Mocha, the dragon with the missing claws - you can just see the second finger JUUUUST showing at the bottom of the picture is "bare". :) She's a happy, capable little lizard who climbs better than her fully-clawed colleagues!

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
Great beardie! Im sorry if she lost a few claws, but she still seems to be very happy and loved. I have pictures and will post them soon tonight if not tomorrow.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
She's a funny little madam.
Looking forwards to seeing your pics :)
As a note, a missing claw can often make shedding a bit tricky on that toe next time round - she'll need extra soaking.

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
I have a guest right now so i cant post pics but i think theyll be gone by about 12 so about then. Thanks for the advice! Also, my camera isnt good at close ranges, so i couldnt get a picture of the claw, but now my dad thinks its a sprained something. Maybe shoulder, lower arm, do you know what it could be? The only thing i can thnk of is she didsomething to it jumping off the table. She landed on carpet, but you never know. Is it even possible for a beardie to sprain something? Lily says "Thanks"!

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Could be, sprains are possible, but beardies tend to ignore them - constriction of the vessel to the nail can cause it to die and drop off, but as she's not suffering from further necrotisation (dying tissue), I wouldn't worry too much. I suggest perhaps a leash for table running in future - heights can be very dangerous. :)

I'll catch you in a bit - I'm currently being licked to within an inch of my life by beardie Jam. She's very licky today... Excessively so, even for her.

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
Hehe... Licky. Yah ill not let her walk on tables anymore. Any possible treatment for a sprain or just let it heal by itself? She seems to be doing better every day though so im not as worried.

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
Link to pictures is at bottom. The lighter, sandy colored one is lily and the darker redder one is raptor. They like to mount each other a lot. I guess its just for comfort. Their buddy system. Anyway...theres the pics. Its really an album so you can scroll through it to see more.
http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/Assassinkills19/Beardies-Lily%20and%20Raptor/?action=view&current=100_2668.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1175.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr639%2FAssassinkills19%2FBeardies-Lily%2520and%2520Raptor%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D100_2670.jpg. Edit: how do yu get the signature? Im jealous of yours and wanna make one like it. thanks!!!!!!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Bearded Dragons are solitary creatures. They shouldn't be house together because
one will dominate, the other will be intimidated. Tail nips and toe nips are common
with beardies housed together. It is so adorable when one lays on the other to bask,
unfortunately it is a dominance behavior. Here is a link about co-habitation, complete
with graphic photos.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908
Of course the choice is yours, just thought you should know!
Your beardies are so cute! :D
Amanda

RaptorTheBeardie

Original Poster
Tis is for the record. One beardie in my tank does not dominate. They take turns being on top, switching every hour or two. They have been housed together since birth and we had never had a problem with biting, etc. i read that thread and dint disagree with it, but these are a male and male combination, they are brothers, hatched on the same day. So no, i will not be seperating my beardies, but thank you for your concern.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
It's wise advice, though sometimes from birth dragons can be stable tankmates - just keep a close eye, because come dragon puberty, you may well see two males turn nasty towards each other, particularly in the spring. A male will overwork a female and hassle her to exhaustion. Be prepared to get a second viv, just to be safe ;)

With the sprain, you can't do much - just let it heal and make sure she gets plenty of rest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom