Cleaning Viv During/After Pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
I saw a lot in here RE treatment of pinworms etc but couldn't find anything about cleaning/avoiding reinfection. I took Odahviing into the vet for a normal check-up. Just a "hey, how ya doing little guy" baseline exam. Brought poo for a standard fecal, same way my cats get every year. The just in case poop, as I like to call it. He told me he thought that odds were good something would come up, not because anything was wrong with what I was doing but because it just happens frequently.

I understand that pinworms aren't terribly worrisome on their own, as long as the beardie is healthy etc otherwise, which he is.. Oh boy ever is he. The vet has me giving him Panacur for three weeks (three doses, a week between doses). My question is actually regarding reinfection. He poops in his water when he swims. How fast does he need to come out? Is reintroducing an egg to his system after a potty in his bath water a serious concern if he doesn't get scooped right out? What about his viv? Should I be cleaning a specific way considering he doesn't eliminate in there frequently?

I know the rules for mammal parasites, ie tapeworms, and how to deal with those. I've never had to deal with pinworms. I understand they're not the sort that exit on their own, like some other worms do, but are rather strictly a BM oriented issue. I want to make as sure as possible that he doesn't end up with the worms reintroduced into his system.

Sadly, Google has not been much help. Most of what I've found has been regarding treatment. Thanks so much.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not sure what the policy is RE bumping but any input would be greatly appreciated. He had a moist but firm poo today. The vet said it's fine because it's still firm, pellets, just a lot of moisture and he's getting lots of hydration. I ended up wiping down his liner with a clorox wipe then wiping with water, back and front. Wiping a second time and letting air dry while we had our AM cuddles and greens eating time.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Hi. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with pinworms. I've got one more dose of pinworm med and cleaned the tank a month ago. I haven't really found any subjects on how many times I have to clean the viv. So, here's what I do: I take out all the decorations, soak them in a solution of water and bleach. I use a 1/4 cup of bleach. Less because I don't like the smell of bleach too much to soak. Another 1/4 cup of bleach in a container with water. I scrub down the tank with this, then wash it three times with fresh warm water or whenever the smell of bleach's gone. I let it air dry and air out. I take out the decorations, rinse them well until there's no bleach smell. I air the whole tank out for about 15-20 minutes. I spend time with Ali before putting him back into a clean tank. I even give him an extra 15-20 minutes more so his tank would warm up.

I spot clean my tank(s) and found that sometimes, hand sanitizer works for spot cleaning the glass soiled. I scrub it and then dry it. It doesn't seem to bother Ali when I'm doing this. I don't use a lot. Just a couple of small pumps of hand sanitizer. :) Crickets included.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, I was leaning toward the bleach anyway. I haven't been soaking, but I had been scrubbing with a toothbrush and soaking in fresh water. He's suck a licker. He lizard kisses everything, so I worry. I'm such a stickler about cleanliness for myself that my hands have turned to scales themselves. I've been keeping him so hydrated and fed, to keep his bowels moving and the dead worms and eggs exiting, so he's sometimes been going in the cage. I've been using Clorox wipes to spot clean and then spot rinsing and drying with wet paper towels.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Menolly07":1kbew9q4 said:
Ok, I was leaning toward the bleach anyway. I haven't been soaking, but I had been scrubbing with a toothbrush and soaking in fresh water. He's suck a licker. He lizard kisses everything, so I worry. I'm such a stickler about cleanliness for myself that my hands have turned to scales themselves. I've been keeping him so hydrated and fed, to keep his bowels moving and the dead worms and eggs exiting, so he's sometimes been going in the cage. I've been using Clorox wipes to spot clean and then spot rinsing and drying with wet paper towels.

Wow! I thought mine was the only lizard kisser there was. Ali kisses just about everything he gets. Me, his bed, his plants, his cardboard cave, his food bowl, food, me again, me again, his grandmother, my sheets, bed, pillows, kisses the air all around him, too. Lizard kisses are so great.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Heh, our guy tastes everything. He lizard kissed hubby's lower lip today then hugged hush chin and fell asleep. That's why I was especially worried about reinfection. All it takes is one egg! If he's licking everything I want to naked darn sure they're all gone or dead!

noella5088

Juvie Member
Menolly07":3cbkr4x5 said:
Heh, our guy tastes everything. He lizard kissed hubby's lower lip today then hugged hush chin and fell asleep. That's why I was especially worried about reinfection. All it takes is one egg! If he's licking everything I want to naked darn sure they're all gone or dead!

I've been thinking about that when Ali 'tastes' everything. I layered the paper towels from one to two layers to about three or four. Keeps the heat in better. He loves the padding. :) I noticed that he's starting to show some new colors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom