givin meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor13

Today i was trying to give my beardie some medicine to treat pinworms its a liquid medicne. It was a disater.
So i was wondering if there was a way to trick them or open their mouths. I tried to pry it open like you would do a cat but it didnt work. So if anyone could give some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in andvance.

chrisallen

Hatchling Member
Hold in one hand and hold their back against your chest. Using your pointer finger and thumb grab their beard and pull down. Using your other hand shoot the meds in with the syringe. Sometimes their mouths will open enough you can just shoot it in, others will open just a little to give you enough room to wedge in the syringe from the side. Hope that helps.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
you could also use a credit card and put it in their mouth and shoot the medicine in from the side. Like slide the card by their mouth to push it open.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I use an eyedropper with babyfood so he thinks he's eating it. Then I sneak the panacur into his mouth while he's licking lol

noella5088

Juvie Member
I don't do any of the above. Instead, I manage to flip the top lid of Ali's mouth on the side, slip the syringe in there and press the plunger. He takes his medicine and though some of it dribbles out, he licks himself clean. He's a trouper when it comes to taking his meds. He loves getting rewards too. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just a precaution,

You should be very careful when administering medicine orally to dragons. they can aspirate the liquid very easily if you just "shoot it down the throat"

What you should do instead is put the syringe in at an angle, towards the cheek, and slowly push the medicine out. You don't want to force it down their throats. They will swallow it if its in their mouth (well most of it at least :p)

-Brandon

noella5088

Juvie Member
claudiusx":1c94nl73 said:
Just a precaution,

You should be very careful when administering medicine orally to dragons. they can aspirate the liquid very easily if you just "shoot it down the throat"

What you should do instead is put the syringe in at an angle, towards the cheek, and slowly push the medicine out. You don't want to force it down their throats. They will swallow it if its in their mouth (well most of it at least :p)

-Brandon

Don't worry- I don't really force it down his throat. I aim the syringe to his cheek and he'll open and swallow his meds. I don't have much more to give except for one. The dewormer. I didn't even have to force too much fluids either. I gave him baby food and he was well hydrated with this.

noella5088

Juvie Member
razor13":il2iom6v said:
Could I mix his med in with baby food and it still be effective

I don't see why not. I've dipped his syringe into a glob of baby food on a paper plate. Well, he licked the baby food off, but I couldn't get the syringe to work. I tried putting some meds in some baby food with his food because he was fighting me. Nope. He didn't eat it all. He ate half. So I gave him his meds and then giving him something to take the taste away. Works every time. :)

When he took all his antibiotics, I bought him a dozen superworms. Well, he had two tonight because he was such a good boy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom