Bearded Dragon Sleeps Out of Cage.. DIY Bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karalizbabie

Hi! So I'm new to the forum and I had a question. Sooo my bearded dragon is so spoiled and I've started making him beds out of soft little blankets in a little basket to put on my nightstand to sleep next to me, but I was wondering if anyone had any awesome bed ideas I can make or can suggest a good pet bed I could start using? :) Thanks!

omar2000

i made a really warm bed for my beardie.first i bought some reptile carpet.then i gots one of them heating rocks and a old shoe box.then i cut a hole in the side of the box big and round for the cord of the rock and i put the rock in the box.and then i put the carpet on top of the rock.lastly listen closely,put the cord right threw the big hole and plug it in a power outlet.NOW!MAKE SURE TO LISTEN SO YOUR BEARDIE CAN BREATH!poke some holes on top of the lid of the box so ur beardie breathes.now its done! :D :D :D

saleen89559

Juvie Member
omar2000":2kjzw8la said:
i made a really warm bed for my beardie.first i bought some reptile carpet.then i gots one of them heating rocks and a old shoe box.then i cut a hole in the side of the box big and round for the cord of the rock and i put the rock in the box.and then i put the carpet on top of the rock.lastly listen closely,put the cord right threw the big hole and plug it in a power outlet.NOW!MAKE SURE TO LISTEN SO YOUR BEARDIE CAN BREATH!poke some holes on top of the lid of the box so ur beardie breathes.now its done! :D :D :D

Seriously? Bad decisions never cease to amaze me. It is not necessary to be so rude to someone who might NOT KNOW about heat rocks, there are better ways to talk to new people on this thread. And I've just started reading this. Watch your attitude! added by moderator

Heat rocks are BAD for bearded dragons, as they can not feel heat on their undersides. They only absorb heat from above as they are as BASKING type of reptile. Lastly, heat rocks are not regulated for temp or wattage, so they can easily malfunction and can potentially cook your dragons internal organs or burn them badly.

Karalizbabie, if you want your dragon to have a nice place to sleep outside of its cage, you are already doing the only things necessary. Under supervision, your dragon can and will sleep in a towel, or on your lap with no problems. Never leave them unsupervised and ALWAYS place them back in their cage when you are no longer going to supervise them. If you still want something for them to sleep on, I would suggest one of those cheap fabric stuffed cat beds from walmart.

Here is what my female citrus "Lemon Drop" sleeps on. Its a home made canopy bed where the top doubles as a hammock. When her lights change for the night time, she will fall asleep in her basking area. My wife and I go through and make sure we pick her up and place her in her bed, she willingly lays down, puts her head on her pillow, and lets us cover her up. She will sleep there till her lights come on and she wakes up about 30 minutes to a hour after the lights come on.
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Saleen, that is the most adorable picture of a beardie I've EVER seen! I love the little blanket ontop, and how your beardie sleeps on the pillow, that's so amazing!
As for a bed, when mine want's to sleep, she can crash just about anywhere, as long as there's no light on her head, she just sleeps! I often wear a hoodie and zip it up halfway, she scoots backwards underneath and curls up and goes to sleep!

Karalizbabie

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've heard that heaters aren't good for them too, so I definitely wouldn't do that. I have been looking around at cat beds and they seem to be good choices.. Just wasn't sure if anyone had any other suggestions, but your bed looks awesome!! I'd just like something special for him similar to that :)

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
Poncho sleeps in a fleece blanet in the bed next to me but as I was reading this thread I was thinking if you weren't comfortable with sharing the bed with him maybe you could look in the toy section of walmart. I think it would be awesome to get a toy truck and make a bed in the bed of the pickup. Ya know like little kids have their race car beds? Why not put down a soft blanket in the bed of the truck and put it on your night stand. Poncho will sleep as long as his head is covered.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Thats a unique idea... Although it would be hard or expensive to find one that will fit a lizard that gets between 13-25 inches long without spending a little. The damn toys at Walmart or elsewhere aren't cheap anymore.

c4chaos

Hatchling Member
saleen89559":wl6xoo3s said:
omar2000":wl6xoo3s said:

Seriously? Bad decisions never cease to amaze me.

Heat rocks are BAD for bearded dragons, as they can not feel heat on their undersides. They only absorb heat from above as they are as BASKING type of reptile. Lastly, heat rocks are not regulated for temp or wattage, so they can easily malfunction and can potentially cook your dragons internal organs or burn them badly.

Karalizbabie, if you want your dragon to have a nice place to sleep outside of its cage, you are already doing the only things necessary. Under supervision, your dragon can and will sleep in a towel, or on your lap with no problems. Never leave them unsupervised and ALWAYS place them back in their cage when you are no longer going to supervise them. If you still want something for them to sleep on, I would suggest one of those cheap fabric stuffed cat beds from walmart.

Here is what my female citrus "Lemon Drop" sleeps on. Its a home made canopy bed where the top doubles as a hammock. When her lights change for the night time, she will fall asleep in her basking area. My wife and I go through and make sure we pick her up and place her in her bed, she willingly lays down, puts her head on her pillow, and lets us cover her up. She will sleep there till her lights come on and she wakes up about 30 minutes to a hour after the lights come on.
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Absolutely adorable... :) I need to figure out a bed for my beardie who happens to fall asleep in his basking area.

Infowars

"Seriously? This may be a Bad decisions that will never cease to amaze someone" :roll:
But.....
I let Freddie drive me to the store last night :shock: .....
scaled.php

Freddie sleeps in our bed,
She falls alseep on my pillow every night, and stays there most the time. Other then crawling up on my arm or ect.. (she is a cuddle bug)
scaled.php

scaled.php

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
Freddie is adorable! I HAVE to let Poncho drive me to the store! :shock: he normally rides shotgun but he has been begging to drive, so maybe its about time.

Infowars

LOL thanks. I am completely too attached to this dragon. (That we bought for our kids haha) The guys at work tell me... "you know she is not a dog right?"
Yes I do, she is one of my kids. Might even be my favorite! (Kidding somewhat hahah) Like I said too attached :)

Your bearded dragons bed is the cutest thing, I am new to this so mine just sleeps in her home. I have tried to put a towel in there for her as a soft bed, but she wont lay on it usually. Now if I put her on it after she goes to sleep, she will stay on it. I never thought of putting her in my bedroom at night. Are you worried about yours falling? And if I put her in the bed with me, will she stay in the same spot? I would hate for her to move over by my husband and him roll over on her in his sleep. Im a light sleeper so I wouldnt worry about myself doing that. She is about 10 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom