albon & coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
So my little girl had coccidia and pin worms, as i posted before. She is on albon, panacur and bene bac. She had her first dose of panacur 2 days ago, and the albon yesterday morning and bene bac yesterday evening. Shes never had a good appetite, but now shes not eating at all. Ive been reading alot ofposts about albon, and i feel like my vet may have dosed too high, but not positive. I dont see the % on the label- it just says sulfadimethoxine 12.5mg/ml solution (1 ml) if that makes sense to anyone. Lola is 100 grams, and he had pre-measured both the albon and panacur for me, and has her taking the albon as follows; give 10mg(0.8ml) by mouth on the first day, then 5mg(0.4ml) by mouth once each day for 7 more days.
i just saw someone who had a 160 gram beardie with coccidia on .1ml, and also noticed most do 3days on, 3 days off and 3 days on.

I just want to make sure that is not too much. She seems so much more miserable since taking it and just sleeps and doesnt want to eat. She ate a hornworm and like 4 or 5 crickets yesterday and one cricket today.

I just want her to be okay :( i got her in october shipped to nj from california and she went through really bad relocation stress, so i got her reptaid and thought if she had any parasites thatwould take care of it, but as soon as she was off the reptaid her appetite went back down, so i made sure to wait 8 wks to get her fecal so that her system could recover from reptaid just in case, because i pretty much knew she had some kind of parasite, just didnt know which. She has not been right since ive had her and i try to do everything i can to get her better. Shes in her old viv i cleaned with ammonia prior, with only disosable furniture and paper towels and i remove her poo immediatly, but usually she glass dances when she has to go so i bring her out and put her in the bath to poo so it really hasnt been in her cage, but anytime it was i took her out, spot cleaned with ammonia, rinsed very well and let dry. Her permanet viv and ALL furniture either soaked in ammonia for an hour, or baked at 300 for 45 min and she isnt going back until she has a clean fecal. Im making sure i beat this coccidia once and for all.

Her panacur dose seems to be what most vets prescribe and once a week for 4 weeks, so maybe im just paranoid about the albon, since i thought i read there are different strengths, but i just want to be told by someone with experience, who knows that the dose is correct.

I also upped her temps a little during the day, (108 basking, 92 ambient 83 cool side) and got a CHE to run at night to keep her immune system up (stays at 80 all night) and she is under a reptisun 10.0, 8" from her basking spot, bought in october. I bought chicken, squash and peas baby food, but she shook her head like a
dog and rubbed the rest on the carpet when i dripped a little on her nose, so i dont want to stress her at alor try to force feed her.
Ive also been giving her extra soaks, usually 2 or 3 times a day, and give her a syringe full of water after her albon, then sometime in the afternoon and before bed. she has been gulping water down atleast once a day in the bath too.
if you think theres anything else i should be doing, as ive never dealt with the evil coccidia before, im open to advice!!!!
Thank you in advance.
Im willing to do anything to make her better.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Give her a few days after treatment to want to eat, she will be more thirsty than hungry. Offer the hornworms and greens mostly to help keep her hydrated. Don't worry, she's a reptile and won't starve to death in two weeks. When I give albon, I notice they become more thirsty afterwards, so I offer water several times a day. Once they start to feel a little better, they will be more interested in food. For some it takes 3 or 4 days, others may take a week or so. It's best to wait until the medication has stopped and the healing has begun.

You don't know how bad she had coccidia and the vet probably doesn't either, they usually send out for fecals. The dosage is fine, there are several ways to do it. I'm guessing she had a fair amount, but depending on the vet, that isn't always true either. This is why a lot of people do their own fecals. Maybe it was bad enough to affect her physically if she already wasn't eating, the higher dose at first may help knock it down faster. A little time will tell, just be patient.

You are doing everything just fine, don't worry. All you need is a little reassurance.

Does the vet want you to bring her back for a fecal after medicating? It is always a good idea to make sure the parasites are gone.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Brooke,

Everything looks great. I double checked your dose at the 12.5mlg/ml & the dose for your dragon of 100grams @.4ml is fine. It is dosed at 50mg/kg. Do you know the levels of coccidia by any chance? You could decrease the dose to a standard 25mg/kg if you would like. Some dragons don't do well on the higher doses. Is her beard dark right now?
The variances of doses just depends on the strength of the solution.
The Panacur once a week for 3-4 treatments is fine, also.
The baths will help greatly for her hydration levels along with syringing her some fluids also. Are you giving any probiotics right now such as non dairy soy yogurt or acidophiliz or benebac? They could help also.
What type of basking light are you using, is it a bright white basking light mounted directly beside the Reptisun 10 tube bulb?

It sounds like you are keeping everything clean too which is very important also. I would start her on a probiotic also to help out her tummy. Maybe she will learn to like the baby food feedings more.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Just want to add to the amazing advice you have been given, for the probiotic: we used AcidolphiLiz when we gave our beardies Panacur, and we were told to separate the 2 medications by giving one in the morning and one in the evening, at least 6 hours apart. So we would give the Panacur in the morning and the AcidolphiLiz in the evening, if they were both given on the same day. You may want to run that by people but we were told not to give them both at the same time or the AcidolphiLiz wouldn't be as effective.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone, makes me feel soo much.
Her coccidia count was +4, but the vet opted to treat her since she was kind of sluggish.
Her beard was black yesterday really bad, but I had to work late and she got we albon before I left in the morning, and didn't get bene bac until I got home around 7, but today she got her albon around 10am and bene bac around 2pm and her beard isn't dark today, and she ate 4 crickets, so I definetly think it was because she got the bene bac later yesterday.
She's been on bene bac since the day before I started albon.
She's more active as well, which makes me feel better. The black beard all the way to the tip of her tail is what got me worried yesterday!
She's definetly drinking more than usual too.
She hasn't lost any weight, actually gained like 5 grams!

Tracie, I have a 65 watt reveal flood light right next to the reptisun in the 20gal (sick tank) she's in now and in her big tank have a 100watt zoo med basking bulb right next to the UVB.

She is getting another fecal done a week and a half from today which would be 2 weeks from when she started treatment.

I never knew how much a little reassurance could make me feel so much better!

Thank you all soo much!

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Along with the advice given if you can keep her warm at night, it helps with the acidophillis to work properly. Or rather, if you read the article here about supportive care for your bd during treatment of coccidia. I read that and learned a lot as I think you will to.
My vet has my bd on panacur one time and then two weeks later for hookworms so I hope that dose is good.
Valerie

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Valerie, thank you! I forgot to mention I bought her a CHE when she was diagnosed, so I've been keeping her night temps at 80-82 instead of the normal 70-72. I also upped her regular temps a few degrees to boost her immune system.
I have been a cleaning NUT with her cage, even though I put her in her old 20 gal with only Papertowels, a rock to bask and her food and water bowl. She drinks standing water so I thats why I keep it in there and it doesn't effect the humidity at all, my acurite thermometer always just says LO% but as soon as she poos I take it right out, take her out, spot clean with ammonia, rinse with water and let it dry before I put her back, but usually if I'm home and in the room she will glass dance and that means she has to go so I put her in the bath for her to go. I soaked her big viv in ammonia with all the decorations and baked her favorite stick at 300* for an hour or so. She's not going back in her big viv until she gets a clean fecal.
I hand feed her so I don't have to worry about feeders running through it and spreading it or her eating one that ran through it and reInfecting herself.
I'm NOT playing with this coccidia!!! Lol I want to kick it to the curb once and for all.
She gets her next fecal in a week and a half so I will let you all know if she passes!
Fingers crossed!!!!!!

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you, shannybeard, it means a lot because I am really trying my best to do everything I possibly can for her.
I never knew I could be in love with a beardie!
I think my boyfriend is jealous! Lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Brooke,

How is your girl doing?
Definitely, the probiotics are given at a different time so they don't interfere with the drug. If you are afraid of the dose being too high, I would lower it. Some dragons don't do well on the 50mg/kg.
The Reveal basking bulb, is it the one with a bluish tint to it?

Keep us posted on her. I hope her black beard doesn't last!
At least she is doing well with drinking a lot of water, too.

Tracie

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tracie,
I think I'm going to lower her dose, she is still pretty dark/ black bearded today.
Do I just give .2 instead of .4?
The reveal bulb isnt exactly blue, it's just daylight instead of soft white, and full color spectrum, but lights up bright white. Another moderator on here recommended this one because of it being full color spectrum.
This is not her normal basking light though, it's normally a 100 watt zoo med basking but that one gets too hot in the 20 gallon.

She hasn't eaten yet today, but sometimes she doesn't eat until around noon.
She was very active though, last night. I had her out for about a half hour and she was running around exploring, so that was a good sign.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Brooke,

Yes, that is fine to lower her dose then if you feel she isn't doing well on the higher dose. Some just don't do well on higher doses.
I would change the basking light out to a bright white halogen or a regular household light bulb to make sure the light is bright enough.
Yes, a 20 gallon doesn't need as high of a wattage of bulb to heat it up. Is that the size of tank she is in right now?
How is her beard looking today, has it lightened up a good amount?
I hope that she gets her appetite back soon. At least she was up & around exploring that is a great sign!

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Her beard gets light,then goes dark, then lightens up again.
i lowered her dose, so hoping thst will make her feel a little better.
Yes, shes in the 20 gallon "sick" tank right now...
i switched the bulb to a clear household bulb as well.

Thank you so much tracie! Your a lifesaver!
She is more active, just hasnt gotten her appetite back yet...
im going to try giving her some baby food tonight and see if sne will take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom