Can my dog get pins from beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Exactly as my post says - Can my dog get pinworms from my dragon?

I rescued both of my dragons a little over a year ago now - they were housed together and both had bad pinworms - both were treated - had post treatment fecals done and they were good. I house them separately and now one of them has them and not the other. My dragons both wander the floor (one at a time) and the dog likes to sniff them and lick them. Are dog/dragon/(EVEN HUMAN) pinworms the same? Could one of us humans have them because of either a dragon or a dog getting them?

Thanks for any knowledge out there!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yes, dogs and humans can get pins from dragon poo. You should always wash after handling and I wouldn't let the dogs lick them anymore. Any chance you feed crickets? They can reinfect the dragons since they carry pins.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the response - but darn - not the answer I wanted to hear!

I am OCD to the max when dealing with their poo - bleach to the max and wash my hands 5 times in between each of my cleaning "steps" - I used to wash my hands after just handling or touching them but don't anymore usually - unless I'm about to eat. When I googled I found a lot of conflicting information - some sites saying different pin worms can be species specific etc. I found a site that said humans and dogs CAN'T transfer to one another and another that said they can. Looks like everyone is going to the DR just to be sure!

I haven't fed crickets in awhile - once I started feeding them supers they turned their noses up to the crickets! They have had them since their last clean fecal last year - it's been awhile though.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Pins aren't very common in humans or dogs, I really wouldn't worry about it. You could always get some panacur for the dogs, its available over the counter.

Google the symptom of pins in humans. I'm not going to say it here but I'm pretty sure you would know if you had them.

I just finished treating my beardie for pinworms, and my vet told me specifically that the pinworms beardies get ARE NOT transferable to mammals. She basically said that the only real health risk a beardie can pose to a human or other mammal is salmonella (sp?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom