Neurological problems? Sick Beardie WITH VIDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerthorn

I have posted previously but it seems to have been deleted. My beardie is sick, she wobbles, and keeps 'turning to the left' and cant catch food. I had been dusting with calcium as well as using a Zoomed 10.0 and someone told me to stop the dusting as the calcium had vitimin D in it and my beardie may have hyper calcemia. I have reduced to dusting once a week with vitamins. Here is a video. I have been to the vet who gave a multivitamin shot and said she 'looked' ok and and they told me i needed to do blood tests which would cost $290 which i cannot afford. Can people please view the video and tell me what they think? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbUwnk-BuY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjWp8VCJ1I&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNcMsFgueQ&feature=youtu.be - NEW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3kq5Z-B28c&feature=youtu.be - NEW

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Oh no :( that is terrible. I will give you the moderators user name, she is very experienced with beardies and may be able to help. I wish i could but have no idea what that could be. Drache613 is tracie's user name. Ibwould expplain the situation and ask her to take a look at the video. Best of luck to u and your beardie :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
Oh the poor thing:( I remember your post from before. Did this come on suddenly? I know inner ear infection or sinus infections can cause balance issues, maybe it would be worth a try to but him on antibiotics.

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
It looks like some kind of cerebellum dysfunction (I'm in the human health field, so I don't know for sure in reptiles)

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I can't offer any advice at all, I'm so sorry! Just wanted to say your poor little beardie touches my
heart as my eyes cry for her. Such a sweet little one, trying so hard. I'm sending a prayer and healing
thoughts to you both. Drache613...Tracie has been PM'd by another member. She will find your
thread. Tracie has much education and experience with Beardies, is an excellent adviser and may
have some recommendations. I hope it's something that can be treated successfully! I'll be following
this thread and thinking of you and your sweet girl!
All good wishes
Amanda

my1stBD

Juvie Member
I have posted previously but it seems to have been deleted. My beardie is sick, she wobbles, and keeps 'turning to the left' and cant catch food.

From your description above the following comes to mind....you said she keeps "turning to the left" which indicates Roaming: Naturally turning toward the right side or left side. This is caused by a vitamin deficiency, and since your BD has had a multivit shot from the vet already i would give it a few days to start working. If the roaming behaviour persists in about a week still get back to me cos then the deficiency may have been worse than thought and another vit injection may be needed to get the levels up.

"Wobbles" and "cant catch food" tells me B1 deficiency. Symptoms of this deficiency are:
A thiamine (B1)deficiency is characterized by nervous disorders such as: twitching, spasms, blindness, abnormal posture, and an inability to use specific muscle groups. It also causes correctable disorders such as "drunkeness" or staggering when walking, bad aim when hunting.
Ths is easlilly treatable by adding lots of green foods to the diet, or a pinch of brewers yeast over salads. If the symptoms persist after a week to week 1/2 a B1 injection may be needed.

The blood tests of course (if you were able to afford them) could tell instantly which deficiencies are present and how progressed they are. If you do find a way in the near future i would definately do the bloods as well

Spikey07

Juvie Member
I would deffinitely ask for a blood test doing as a starting point. The vet will be able to do this without taking her in overnight, scene as you are doing good job of syringe feeding at the moment.

Once you get the results that will show up any vitamin/mineral defficiencys. You should also ask for a copy of the results and PM Drache613 who will be able to give you a second opinion as to what may be wrong and where you should go from there.

Aerthorn

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice so far, i am updating the original post with two new videos to show the 'turning to the left' that i mentioned and i am trying to organise blood tests for Saturday. Could it be neurological from her banging her head against the glass tank trying to get out which she does sometimes?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to see this with your dragon.
You mentioned that you are using a Reptisun 10, it is a tube bulb, correct? How old is it & how far away is it place? Is there plastic or screen in between the light & her?
I don't think it is an inner ear problem, but that can't be completely ruled out. Did this start before she began banging her head on the tank? It "could" be an injury which has caused neurological issues, sure.
As suggested, a blood test could definitely shed light on imbalances such as calcium to phosphorus ratio, as well as other mineral levels.
The thiamin deficiency as mentioned can mimic metabolic bone disease. Brewer's yeast, or other multivitamins can help greatly with evening this deficiency out. Do you feed frozen vegetables? Snakes which suffer from hypothiaminosis, as well as other reptiles, have trouble with catching their prey & often miss their prey.
A lot of times, hypothiaminosis goes along with metabolic bone disease because once their levels become imbalanced, it causes other things to get thrown out of balance as well. It could be that she is not absorbing her vitamins & minerals properly, either.

It is highly recommended to try & get her to a vet if at all possible.
Please let me know about the lighting, also.
Thanks,

Tracie

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
With the one video where she doesn't take the cricket, you are holding it too close to her face. There is nothing wrong with Dexter, but he doesn't go for food that is right in his face, he seems to only focus on it at a certain distance.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with her, it's just that in the video where she's not going for the cricket, she's simply not going for it because it's way too close to her face.

Dexter hits the glass with his nose/mouth/front of his face, every day to come out, he hasn't got a neurological condition.

However, with the last two videos, there is obviously some kind of problem.

Aerthorn

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The light is a ZOOMED Reptisun 10.0 36 inch tube which runs the legnth of the enclosure, there is a flywire mesh between it and her (hence why i went for the 10.0 rather than the 5.0), it is 12 inches above, but she has a rock which is 6-7 inches high which she can get close to the light, and she has a basking bulb on a thermostat which regulates temps, it is about 34 degrees in the hot end and 24 at the other end during the day, and i dont provide heat at night as our house is ducted heated in winter.

I feed her a mixture of crickets, endive (greens), occasionsally chopped up banana, apple, carrot, brocolli greens.

No frozen vegetables, she is booked in for the vet tomorrow for bloods, will get back to you.

I am aware that some lizards dont eat when holding prey in front of them. Mine does. She is usually fed by placing them in front of her and letting her catch them. She probably didnt in the video because she had just eaten 10 large crickets, i have to hold them in front of her now otherwise she doesnt get them.

cheers again, will check back in tomorrow.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
When you get the blood test done ask for. Copy of the results and post them here so someone more experienced can have a look.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The mesh will filter out a great amount of the UVB exposure for your dragon! Can you get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted inside of the tank & underneath of the mesh in any way, safely so she can get better exposure from your UVB light?
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Aerthorn

Original Poster
Hi, there is no way to get the light under the mesh, it is a fairly open mesh. I was under the impression that the reptisun 10.0 was designed for mesh? Blood results are coming tomorrow. No change in her condition but still eats and poops normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom