Necrotising fungal dermatitis????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsweetpea

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/166/15/464/F2.large.jpg

If you look at this pic the website suggest the problem is Necrotising fungal dermatitis. I think my Phoenix has this. The spots were treated with Neosporin. Nothing happened. He had one spot and now there are two so I think it is spreading. He seems fine, eats and poos, etc.

What causes this? How can I treat it without going to the vet?

I was told to remove the water bowl I had in the tank since I live in a humid enviroment and it gets cold in my house. I added more heat by using a heat bulb and Phoenix has the basking bulb. I alternate them at night.

Substrate is newspaper and he has two cinderblocks to sit on and bask on. I got them outside but before I put them in his tank I washed them with clorox and hot water.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Its called yellow fungus and you can try lamisil but if its really bad then there is a good chance its moved internal and the dragon will need oral meds.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Its not anything you did wrong, its just something they can pick up. Can you post a picture of your dragon? Does yours have the large scabby wounds like that? Another thing you should add to treatment is betadine bath, add betadine to water until its the color of weak tea and soak the dragon in it for 10 minutes a day. After the soak, you apply the lamisil.
It can take weeks or months to cure and some dragon will have it there entire lives so you need to aggressively treat it.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure you wash and wipe down anything and everything the dragon touches daily to reduce the spread. Fungal infection are very persistent and spores hide everywhere. Things will need to be soaked in bleach and then rinsed thoroughly and allowed to air dry or steamed. Humidity is your worst enemy. Keep everything as dry as possible as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please do let us know how things go at the vets. I hope it is not yellow fungus as it is so hard to get rid of.
Be sure your dragon to keep the newspaper changed out to keep it as clean as possible in the tank area.
Definitely post some pictures for us also of Phoenix, that will help give us a better idea on the situation.

Tracie

ncsweetpea

Original Poster
Pics of Phoenix...he has always had the grey under his beard but I want to make sure I included all pics. I was told since I live in North Carolina it is prob. the humidity in the tank causing this fungus.

bearddd.jpg

101_7912.jpg

101_7910.jpg

101_7909.jpg

Tail, where some of the scales appear darker, see the line in the middle?

Gail

BD.org Addict
He really needs to see a vet, at this point I don't think you can treat it at home.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does need to see a vet. He needs to be started on an oral antifungal medication such as Itraconazole or Nystatin. Then, a topical treatment daily, as well such as monistat, or lamisil.
How is he doing today?
What is the humidity in the tank?

Tracie

ncsweetpea

Original Poster
He is doing much better, the Doc took a fecal sample and said nothing has spread that I caught it in time and was very observant. He told me to keep bathing Phoenix in the povidone-iodine. That I should put enough in the tub to where it appears like a light tea color. So I have been bathing Phoenix every day now for 20mins because Phoenix doesnt really like to be in the bathtub, he always climbs and struggles to get out. The water is warm and not too hot. After the bath I rub some clotrimazole cream on Phoenix. This is the 1% athletes foot cream which is an anti-fungal cream. He said Phoenix did not appear to need an oral medication at this time. I also bought some grapefruit seed extract and mixed with some pureed collards and fed it to Phoenix. I was told to keep doing this for two weeks and then go back to the Doc. I was charged $175 for this visit today so I may not go back if Phoenix appears healthy. I can not afford another fee like that. He said since Phoenix is an exotic animal he has to charge more. I live in a rural part of North Carolina where the Vet only tends to dogs and cats, horses, pigs, turkeys, cows, farm type animals.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things coming along with your dragon's treatment?
That is correct. The iodine baths should resemble very weak tea, just to clean the skin. After he is dry, you can put the antifungal cream on his skin to let it soak in.
The grapeseed extract will help with immune system function & as an antimicrobial as well. I know, it can really get quite expensive at the vet's office with all of the testing, etc.
Let us know how he is doing. Is he eating well right now?

Tracie

ncsweetpea

Original Poster
He is doing VERY well now and in shed. I will post new pics. The spot is clearing up too! BUT....now his poop smells really bad and is a little runny with some white deposits so I am going to get a fecal sample and my Mom is going to take it to the lab and check for worms. That will save me another Vet bill!!!

I can not win for losing. LOL.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he is doing better. :D I am glad to hear the spot is clearing up also, that is good news.
I hope he doesn't have parasites now, but at you can get a fecal done though. I hope it comes out clean.
Is he eating pretty well too?

Tracie

ncsweetpea

Original Poster
Yes, he is eating fine. He is a yr old now so I don't really give him as many crickets and Ive been adding some reptile parasite dust to his greens. It should help prevent parasites. I will also be buying that Parazap soon online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom