How often should adult bearded dragons poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirakai

My dragon Sandy has been slowing down due to the cold. She isn't as active as she was before the winter, even though my temps should be ok, the house still gets cold and lowers the temps in the tank a little bit. The main thing that has made me worry about her is that she hasn't been pooping in her tank the way she used to. I would feed her reptiworms her entire life (she is about 18 months now) and she had no problems digesting those, but eventually she stopped wanting to eat her reptiworms, and would not eat them until I started giving her large superworms.

She ate those dusted in calcium very easily, and seems to keep eating them. However, I think they're also a lot harder for her to digest. She used to go poop with the reptiworms at least once a week, now she goes up to 9 days without pooping. In order to make her poop, I've had to give her a warm bath just about weekly, and she poops in there. But I'd really like her to be able to poop in her tank again. She has shelf liner as substrate.

I'd like to know how often is normal for her to be pooping, and also how often should I be feeding her large superworms (and how many) when she isn't making a bowel movement? Thanks.

Nuka042

Hatchling Member
Her not pooping for that long could create a lot of problems for her internally. With the build up of feces it could lead to perforations (holes in the colon) which will lead to sepsis. If giving a bath is what'll help her defecate, then do what you must. I know my beardie trained himself to only poop in the bath and will hold it until I give him a bath, he absolutely refuses to poop in his tank.

discojan

Juvie Member
We bathe our girls daily to let them poop; they too are trained and will (usually) hold it until bath time. We make sure to dry them off with a towel, and let them bask after, so they dry out. Generally, make sure you bathe 2 hours before bed time to give them plenty of time to dry, though our girls usually like to poop in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom