Hatchling Member
Does anyone else constantly get their Bearded Dragons
confused for Horny Toads?
Whenever my boyfriend and I go out into pubic with our beardies,
we always get "Oh hey, thats a horny toad huh?"
horned_toad.jpg

MomandDads39thanniversary2006002.jpg

I dunno, I guess they are similar.
But I definitely wouldn't mistake one for the other.
Does this happen to any other people?

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Never happened to me yet, but I haven't taken mine out in public too much yet. They ARE interesting looking though.

I take mine out all the time and people confuse them for iguanas. Sometimes it irritates me, because of the fact that they look nothing like them haha. Oh and yes, people ask me occasionally if its a horned toad.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I had some older ladies at wallmart absolutely charmed with Franklin. I only wish the weather was good enough to take him out right now!

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
RandyMarsh":1mwyz2ad said:
I had some older ladies at wallmart absolutely charmed with Franklin. I only wish the weather was good enough to take him out right now!

Yeah me too. Ray is going through withdrawal. All summer he had outside time.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I get that all the time, wow, what a big horny toad you have. I say , no she is not a horny toad, she is a bearded dragon, toads don't get this big and not bright orange. One time my mom and I was having a yard sale, I brought Booger out wrapped in her binkie. We had 2 different car loads of kids come in. I would ask them if they wanted to see my lizard, they loved her and one parent even got a bunch of pictures with the little kid petting Booger while I was holding her.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
After reading up on them, I figure this must be an American thing. I have never even HEARD of a Horny Toad before (thought I chuckled at the name) :lol:

I don't really see the confusion though. Some people are simply ignorant. But it's not a big deal :p That's why you educate them!

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
don't feel bad im from the USA and I didn't even really know about them. I guess they're a more Southern thing like drinking mint julip or something

Meowser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I had never heard about them before either.
Just about everyone i meet seems to
have grown up catching them by a creek or something.
I get the iguana thing too which I find odd because
they are typically green.

Ravyn

Ha ha! I used to catch Horny Toads when I was a little girl growing up in Oklahoma. Used to drive my dad batty bring a new one home every day with a name hoping my dad would let me keep it LOL.

Ravyn

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
I got that awhile back. I posted some pics of Yoshi on FB and this lady on my friends list commented saying, "Oh I used to catch those when I was little. We call them horny toads where I'm from." She mentioned she was from Arizona and I said that what I have is a bearded dragon and there isn't any way you would catch them out in the wild unless you were from Australia.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
lilgreeneyes":2xd1vejf said:
I got that awhile back. I posted some pics of Yoshi on FB and this lady on my friends list commented saying, "Oh I used to catch those when I was little. We call them horny toads where I'm from." She mentioned she was from Arizona and I said that what I have is a bearded dragon and there isn't any way you would catch them out in the wild unless you were from Australia.

Silly Lilly!! Haven't you ever heard the legend of the great Arizona bearded dragons? They once roamed free in herds, by the millions. The scuttling of their tails on the desert floor would lull the natives to sleep at night. They flourished until the 1800's when they were hunted to extinction often from trains, both to weaken the native population and to keep them from making us all their slaves.

LittleRepieye

Hatchling Member
heheh I've never been asked if Draco was a horny toad, but just about everything else.

Hes been called a Iguana,Frilled lizard,Alligator o_O don't know what that lady was thinking, and a Chameleon..>>

Then another lady thought I was carrying around a plastic toy on my shoulder :lol:

PetLover

Hatchling Member
RandyMarsh":2qgonega said:
How did you get inside Walmart with your beardie? They are really strict about pets in their store. I take my 4 lb. toy poodle with me all the time; but I keep her hidden in my purse. Both ends of my purse have mesh inserts so she can look out and no one can see her. I'd like to know how you take your beardie in without being stopped at the door. You must have had him out since those ladies saw him.

Meowser

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
PetLover":27k5haby said:
How did you get inside Walmart with your beardie? They are really strict about pets in their store. I take my 4 lb. toy poodle with me all the time; but I keep her hidden in my purse. Both ends of my purse have mesh inserts so she can look out and no one can see her. I'd like to know how you take your beardie in without being stopped at the door. You must have had him out since those ladies saw him.

I take my Mimi with me just about everywhere.
Albertsons, Carls Jr., the Post Office, Pizza Hut, the Farmers Market, Home Depot...
just about anywhere we go.
The only 2 places that made a fuss was Inn N Out and The LA Zoo.
Everywhere else people are just interested or freaked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom