Salmonella

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdny96

Our 3 month old Beardie's fecal test results just came in....positive for salmonella. Is this rather common? Should I be overly concerned? Her health and appetite are back to normal, but we have 3 small children. Anyone else have the same case?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
All dragons naturally carry salmonella, it is usually in low levels though. You will always need to wash hands after handling a dragon due to this.
If the levels are high you can use Bene-Bac to help restore the balance of beneficial gut flora.
I use bene-bac gel for bird/reptile use, place a dab on the dragons snout, let em lick it off. :wink:

mikimom07

I would be careful around small children. My 7 month old baby got salmonella from my beardies. We wash our hands after handling but we can only assume she got it because of them climbing on us or on the floor and couches. Or cleaning them and their things in the kitchen sink. After her being in the hospital for a week we bleached everything and now we dont them walk around and we bath them in specified dishes and clean their things in the laundry room sink and then bleach that out after. It was a nightmare and the scariest thing to go thru. 105 fevers for 10 days straight and vomiting and diarrhea which caused dehydration. We are EXTRA cautious niw. We had dont ever want to go thru that again.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I have had 2 that tested positive for salmonella in a fecal. One was not doing well so we did treat it with antibiotics and the next test came back clean. Our other dragon has it now. She is fine though, so I'm not too bothered. As long as you are practicing good hygiene with your kids then there should not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom